Manual steeering to power

-

Dale Parker

Reaction score
I have 1972 Dodge Dart Swinger 318 with manual steering. My wife needs power steering so I am looking for a supplier that can provide me with all necessary parts for the conversion. Any tips on the conversion would also be appreciated.

Lots of sources for everything (box, pump, hoses, coupler, etc) EXCEPT the steering column, which you’ll need to find yourself. The steering column center shaft is shorter than what you currently have. Members are always looking for the manual steering column so you might place a FOR TRADE ad that could net you the complete setup for yours.

Are you running headers? You may have issues with the motor mounts and a Saginaw box if you go that route. Other than noted above, the coupler at the end of the shaft is a different spline as well. 73-new power boxes are large selector, so look for a 72-down box. I highly suggest if you get a used boxt sent it to Firm Feel or Steer and Gear and get it rebuilt to the firmness you want. Stage 1 sounds good if your wife is driving it.

I highly suggest if you get a used boxt sent it to Firm Feel or Steer and Gear and get it rebuilt to the firmness you want. Stage 1 sounds good if your wife is driving it.

I gave my original 65 box to Steer and Gear at Carlisle and picked it up at the Nationals in Columbus. They rebuilt it to their Stage 3, similar to a modern car. Can't waig to get everything installed.

-
Back