Manual Steering box couple questions

-

4spdragtop

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Anyone know if there is such a thing as a rebuild kit for manual steering gear?? Im cleaning it up and thought I might reseal/regrease if there is a kit. Also was the gearbox painted or left as is?? It was painted red at some point in its life

Thanks
4spdragtop

Attachments

• DSCF0189 (Medium).JPG
    97.5 KB · Views: 255
They were natural aluminum. I've seen kits but don't know off hand. Firmfeel did my last one, maybe they would have a seal kit.

I had mine rebuilt localy. Don't know if you can buy a do it yourself kit. For what it cost to rebuild I should have bought new from firm feel or someone else.

Attachments

• P7110057.JPG
    77.8 KB · Views: 227
Firmfeel has a set for 100 buck, and one thats 150. Your local O'Reilly's also sells them.

you can buy the bearings and seals for about 35 bucks. i did a lot of googling and found what i needed. rock auto had the seals but i had to get the bearings from a bearing supplier. `each seal and bearing was less than 7$. mine had the bronze sector bushings, not bearings it was tight so i left them. i also put the mancini fast ratio worm gear kit in mine. they are pretty easy to work on. i packed it with black moly grease. i just made some tools to tak eapart my power box for my duster i figured id throw a kit in it. i actually broke a breaker bar that box would not come apart, i threw in the towel and bought a reman box for about 100 after the core. not really worth it for me to mess with it, but i wont get to test that box for a few weeks.

Hey James, thanks for all the info!! Not sure what my steer box is, it is almost 6 turns, stop to stop. Everything looks good now that I got it cleaned up for the most part. I will take a look at rock auto's site for the seals though. I will just pump it full of grease and polish it up. Thanks jamesdart!

that 40 year old grease gets pretty nasty in there. ther ewa ssomething wierd with the rock auto catalog, im thinking they had the large sector seal listed which isnt right but they have the right one if you just punch in the part number. i would think you can get them from napa even.

Ya, doesnt look like a lot of grease in there, some thk $hit stuck to the fill plug. I will look thru my parts cd and get a cross ref from the rock auto site. I will have to flip thru my service manual to see how much work there is to it

If somebody could post part numbers for the seals & bearings it would be nice. I hunted for a couple of years before I found my fast ratio manual box & I'd like to go through it before I put it in the car. I looked at the Rock Auto site but their descriptions are a bit vague. Part numbers would make it easy.

heres for a 68

Attachments

• 68 Plymouth Manual steering box.jpg
    128.4 KB · Views: 168
  • 68 steering wheel resized.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 175
  • 68 Plymouth Manual steering box part numbers 1.jpg
    205 KB · Views: 182
-
Back