Manual steering box fitment question

-

fnabody

Reaction score
Are the Mopar manual steering boxes A, B, and E-body specific or will a manual steering box from a b-body fit an a-body?

Boxes are the same,But there are two sizes of pitman arm shafts.Early boxes have a smaller diameter (1 1/8'' I think) up to 1972.In 1973 ish the size went to 1 1/4''.
Don't quote me though,I have been wrong with numbers before..

Last edited:
The centerlink changed in 73 too, so get the right year of box for your car.

How can you tell the year?
I purchased one from a FABO member to convert PS to Manual.

easiest way to tell is the size of the hex nut at pitman arm. if you have a 1&1/8 socket to fit it, its early. If you need a 1&5/16 socket for it, its the later. I know this shaft and nut size changed on the power steering boxes but I'm not sure if or when it changed on the manual boxes. The center link attach to pitman and idler changed for both at 73 model whether that shaft size changed or not.

Boxes are the same,But there are two sizes of pitman arm shafts.Early boxes have a smaller diameter (1 1/8'' I think) up to 1972.In 1973 ish the size went to 1 1/4''.

This isn’t true. Manual steering boxes for the A, B and E body’s never changed. That was a power steering box deal. Some of the B body boxes had bearings instead of bushings, so the boxes are stronger, but that doesn’t effect fit as they’re externally the same.

The manual steering boxes for C-bodies and vans did have a larger output shaft. But since they don’t make pitman arms for A, B or E bodies intended for the larger shaft box it wouldn’t be slam dunk to use one.

Info and pictures here
Steering Box Info

The steering center link and pitmans did change in ‘73, you just have to match the pitman to the center link.

Will a large pitman box and arm fit in place of a small?

Large and small pitman shaft only pertains to power steering boxes. If your asking weather the P/S boxes interchange? Than yes and no. If you use all the steering pieces off the same car than yes. Early (72and earlier) the ptiman and Idler arm stud point up. On 73 and newer they face down.

So if I use a 73 and newer box Thea I’d have t swap out my center link too? What else?

Pitman and Idler arm. But if you have the older pitman arm set up, you can put it on the Manual box.

I thought the taper would be different? So I need the 73 and up pitman arm and idler arm to work? Will they fit or do I gotta make other mods?

I don't know how I can explain it easier, Use the pitman arm that matches your center link and idler arm year range. Splines are the same. The direction the stud faces ( that goes thru your center link) determines WHICH Pitman arm you need. If the stud faces up it is 1972 and back. If it faces down, it is 73 -76

Ok thanks. I had an offer of a steering box,pitman arm and Saginaw pump off a 73/ 318. I just noticed the pitman arm stud pointed down and mine is up. So the taper goes a different way in the center link. So I’ll need them and the idler to match. it’s a 67 car so the idlers odd.

Yeah your going to have other problems, 67 used a screwy idler arm. if you have the 67 K-member, I would change the K-member out to a 68-72 unit.

Yeah your going to have other problems, 67 used a screwy idler arm. if you have the 67 K-member, I would change the K-member out to a 68-72 unit.
Too much trouble. Thanks for your advise. I’ll go with a borgeson swap.

Good thread.
Let me put this in it just for reference.
Manual Steering Box...assistance needed...
Manual Steering Box

I've only done a couple and all had needle bearings.
I've got a pile of junk yard pulls.
(Mostly from A bodies)
Someday, if I ever rebuild those, maybe I'll find bushings.
Maybe I've been "lucky".

From the Big Block Dart page.
"62-76 A-bodies, 62-72 B-bodies, and 70-74 E-bodies all used the same manual box. Most of these boxes used bushings throughout, however, the B-body V-8 units were built for more abuse and used bearings internally instead of the bushings. "

The one on the left looks very familiar.
I can't say I've ever noticed the one on the right.
I'll have to check the pile.
And my B bodies.
Right now I'm pretty sure the 67 B car had the one on the left in it.
I replaced with one that looked the same. I think.
I'll have to check the 69 383 car too.

manualboxes1.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks all for your help. I have the perfect setup for a 440 swap with the manual steering. But a few things have happened along with age that makes me appreciate the ps more. Is it easier to steer the manual with the bearings instead of the bushings and can they be changed over or do you know for sure. Thanks for your help.

Last edited:
-
Back