Manual steering box worn out or can be adjusted?

-

screeminDemon

Reaction score
The guy who just did my front end alignment confirmed what I already was suspecting - my steering box is sloppy, has too much play. I guess its just been such a gradual thing over the years it took me a while to really notice.
1971 Demon with 360 (originally slant 6 car)
Can it be adjusted to get the slack out?
Or is it time to get a new steering box?
Thanks for your help!

The adjustment on the gearbox is only for the free play in the bearings on the output shaft, it has no effect on the slop in the actual gears themselves, so if the gears are worn, the adjustment will do no good. You'll just have to adjust it and see.

It will depend on what is worn/bad. There are two basic adjustments on a manual box. The worm gear end play adjustment is what puts a slight preload on it's bearings. If there is slop in there, Stop. Most likely you have a bad bearing and probably a bad surface on the worm gear shaft. That will require pulling the box and rebuilding it. If that adjustment is good (made by loosening that huge threaded lock ring and turning the aluminum end cap), then the next adjustment is the one between the worm gear and the sector roller. That has to be done with the worm gear centered and no load on the steering linkage. Pulling the center link loose from the pitman arm is good enough. Once centered, loosen the lock nut on the adjuster while holding the adjuster from turning with a screw driver. It's now more of a matter of feel on the adjustment. The adjustment screw should move freely. Rotate the adjustment screw back and forth 1/4 to 1/2 a turn to get a feel for it. Turn the adjustment screw clockwise GENTLY to just take up any free play. Do not overtighten! Once you feel that the adjuster has taken up any slack, hold the adjuster and tighten the lock nut. If the top end of the adjustment screw is even or below the top edge of the lock nut, that indicates that there is a lot of internal wear. Slowly turn the input shaft back and forth to see how it feels. It should move smoothly and have no binding or hard spots. If it does, you probably will need to get the box rebuilt. It's not hard to do, but, you need to find a supplier of the internal parts. Bearings and seals are readily available, but, some of the other hard parts are a bit harder to find and much more expensive. You should get a factory manual to do a rebuild as preload, adjustments, and the actual procedure needs to be followed carefully if you haven't done one before.

Last edited:
The worm gear end play adjustment is what puts a slight preload on it's bearings. If there is slop in there, Stop.
I didn't need to go any further than that first adjustment test you mentioned. The bearing has been running loose. And considering it's the original 1971 steering box I think I should just replace it.
Any good after-market suggestions?
Thanks again!

We offer new manual steering boxes in either 24:1 which was stock or a close ratio 16:1. Both are new production and are direct bolt in. Plus as a member of FABO you would be eligible for the members discount of 10 % off order of $200 or more and free shipping in the US 48 States.

Manual Steering Box

Thanks
James From
PST

We offer new manual steering boxes in either 24:1 which was stock or a close ratio 16:1. Both are new production and are direct bolt in. Plus as a member of FABO you would be eligible for the members discount of 10 % off order of $200 or more and free shipping in the US 48 States.

Manual Steering Box

Thanks
James From
PST
Thanks James! I've purchased from PST before and been very satisfied.
Looks like the (original) 24:1 is not available but the 16:1 is available.
Can you (or anyone else) tell me what are the advantages and disadvantage of switching to a 16:1 box? Do many people like to go to the 16:1?

Yes, the steering effort is increased with the 16:1 box. I like them out on the highway though :thumbsup:

Steer and Gear would be a possible rebuild of your unit. Check to see which is the most cost effective, replacement or rebuild.

Manual Steering Box

Thanks
James From
PST
How do you know if a FABO members place an order? Is there a promo code or something?

How do you know if a FABO members place an order? Is there a promo code or something?

Enter your FABO screen name in the comment block if ordering online. Tell the rep if you call.

Discount won't be applied until they invoice so if you pay online it'll charge full amount but you get an invoice and refund to the discounted price

I guess if you have the bushings, they are. Maybe there is a way they can be converted to needle bearings? I never tried either one. I always had plenty of needle bearing cores.

PST also sells a 20:1 box. I have it in my 69 GTS and am happy with it. Best of both worlds. Huge improvement over the sloppy original box.
This is a new unit, not rebuilt or refurbished.

Not sure how much you trust the guy that does your alignment, but before I laid out cash for a new steering box I would check to make sure that the play isn't somewhere else in the system. The steering coupler would be a good thing to rule out, as would the pitman and other steering components. Steering box bolts have also been known to loosen up, and steering box mounts on the K have certainly cracked, both of which can allow the entire box to move to move around. All things worth ruling out before you just replace the steering box.

-
Back