Manual steering to PS?

-

vntned

Reaction score
So my '64 dart needs a steering box rebuild, and I was initially gonna keep it manual steering. Now I'm considering power steering, just to make driving it a little less of a chore. So my question is what all do I need to do the swap and more specifically, what year steering boxes will work. Thanks for the help!

I'm not, by any means an expert on the really early stuff but here's what I think I know.
The early power steering boxes ('67 and earlier) are pretty hard to find. The shaft is smaller that the late boxes so you can't just change the pitman arm. The center link for /6 is different than for a v/8. Then matching that all to the correct idler arm. Early K members have different idler arm mounting that the post '67's.
I'll be interested to see what pops up in the days to come.

Yes, an early steering box, and must be A or B body. C-bodies had the "large sector" shaft which later A's changed to (don't recall year, Dan does). I have a box from a 67 or 68 Satellite that I recall is "small sector". Pretty sure I saw rebuilt gear-boxes on rockauto for my 64 or 65, and some are "core charge" so you can just eat that (<$200 total?). Hardly extra cost, since shipping one back would about equal the core ($50?). Don't buy the "send yours in" choices.

I think the Pitman arm is the same for manual and power steering, but verify. If for some reason, you change other steering parts, a V-8 center link will fit a slant (not vice-versa) and would have you set if you ever go V-8, LS, diesel, whatever. Even then, the V-8 link slightly hits 1967+ V-8 small block oil pans, but a hammer blow can make room. Don't even think of trying later A steering linkage. They are totally different (inner tie rod studs different direction) and for wider cars.

You will need a shorter steering rod, or the whole column, but people here will trade you even or even pay for your manual column, because so many change to engines and headers that don't work with power steering. If you change the whole column, consider what shifter you want (floor or column). I recall some just cut their rod shorter and welded, but I wouldn't trust my welds for that.

If you want AC, one "kill 2 birds" is to get the bracket kit from a Volare or Aspen that had a Sanden compressor (all hot rodders use). I got one at the junkyard cheap. It mounts a Saginaw pump on the outside, which is the preferred pump (more efficient and easier to source, i.e. GM). You will need to customize your hoses, but I had to do that even going from a TRW to Federal pump (different fittings). I took just the valve body from a later p.s. gear to match the hoses, but most hydraulic shops could make a hose. I think all Saginaw pumps used O-ring fittings. Note that even the factory early-A & B h.p. hose is kind of custom w/ two sizes connected with a crimp coupler.

Have you adjusted the current manual box? Wheels straight ahead & loosen the nut & turn the slotted screw in (CW) with your left hand as your right hand grasps the coupler & wiggles it back & forth & go in on the screw till MOST but not all of the back & forth rotational play is gone then hold the slotted screw in that position & tighten the locknut. Keep track of how far you turned it inward for good record keeping baseline. then take it out & see how it acts. To go to PS you would need either a shorter 63-66 A power st column or the shorter inner shaft (as said) & swap it into your current manual column housing (easy swap). As you know you would want the PS box and pump & not sure what years will interchange. Not sure if a pitman change is needed (might be) & I was not aware that a person needed to swap to a V8 (64-66) center link just to go to PS

"Less of a chore" For an early A body? Seriously?

Beware the steering gear mounting. Nuts welded into the K have a history of failures in early A. More common with power steering too.

-
Back