Manual to power steering conversion

-

French demon

Reaction score
Hello forum

I would like to convert my '71 Demon to power steering and of course, I need all parts (gearbox, pump, pulley, brackets and so on).

I found this PS gearbox for sale. The seller tells that this part comes from Yearone and has a 1-1/8-inch sector shaft.
Is it compatible with my stock slant-six Demon?

DA.JPG

DA2.JPG

All help will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Francois

One thing you will also need is a power steering column, which has a shorter steering shaft compared to the manual steering shaft.

Isn't it possible to shorten the manual steering shaft?

And no idea about the compatibility of the gearbox?

you can shorten...but it involved a hack saw. 73 was the large sector shaft year with larger C body and truck/vans having the large sector before this. 1 1/8 should be a small sector dimension, your good.

I converted to power. For the pump I used the Tuff Stuff Saginaw pump for rack and pinion. It has a lower pressure and gives you a good assist without the over powered steering with your pinky feel the stock pressure gives.

I converted to power. For the pump I used the Tuff Stuff Saginaw pump for rack and pinion. It has a lower pressure and gives you a good assist without the over powered steering with your pinky feel the stock pressure gives.

During the conversion, did you shorten the stock steering shaft or did you replace it with a PS shaft?

I didn't know what is a Tuff Stuff Saginaw pump, but I had a look on Google. I am in Europe and such a pump can be very expensive when combined with shipping and taxes :BangHead: Thanks anyway for the tip

During the conversion, did you shorten the stock steering shaft or did you replace it with a PS shaft?

I didn't know what is a Tuff Stuff Saginaw pump, but I had a look on Google. I am in Europe and such a pump can be very expensive when combined with shipping and taxes :BangHead: Thanks anyway for the tip

You can take a stock Saginaw and shim it to give less pressure.

Pump It Down....EASY

For the column I used a Flaming River B-body column and cut the D shaft down. So I didn't use a stock set up. You can either buy a power column, or just buy the shaft and swap them out. Column would be easiest.

When I converted I bought a shaft from someone on here. Sold my manual shaft on here also.

It's not just a matter of shortening the shaft (or replacing it with the correct length), the coupler is different too. Best to just get the correct P/S center shaft and coupler for your column. I would imagine the center shaft a year or two either way should swap into your column. You also have the expensive option of getting a aftermarket kit that includes everything you need.

-
Back