Manual transmission conversion into 72 Duster

-

UCUDANT

Reaction score
I am planning a manual trans conversion for my 72 Duster.

I have a Dodge truck OD trans but the shifter mounts are in the B and E body locations (not the F body).
Any easy ways to use this trans?
Mod the mount and have to find the F/A body shifter rods?

...or a friend had a T5 that he had said in the past I could use. I will need to see what it is out of and can be made to work.
I also have a lakewood bellhousing laying around. Is there a fairly common list of parts to make this swap an easy one?
I know Silver Sport makes a kit but if I wanted to attempt to do a cheaper swap myself (think Roadkill) can it be done without to much crazy fab work?
So my questions here would be which parts to source for the following items? .....
I read a Chevy S10 6cyl T5 trans may work? Would I have to shorten or machine the input shaft length/diameter? The S10 T5 shifter location was said to fit the stock tunnel hole. Can a stock bell housing, mechanical throwout bearing and clutch fork etc be made to work here?
Then what about the Pilot bearing?
What clutch disc would work with the trans splines and work with say a stock pressure plate and stock flywheel?
I have an A body Z bar
and then what about the trans mount and cross member?
I'll need to ensure the mount is set to the correct height for the driveshaft angles so and advice is appreciated. With this i would try to measure the existing trans slip yoke to floor as installed and match this.
I guess guys use the T5 slip yoke from the donor? and maybe a Adapter u joint?

Thanks in advance

Last edited:

I have a Dodge truck OD trans but the shifter mounts are in the B and E body locations (not the F body).

Some info here in the "Engine & Transmission Mounts, Cooling"………
Tech Index

...or a friend had a T5 that he had said in the past I could use. I will need to see what it is out of and can be made to work.
I also have a lakewood bellhousing laying around. Is there a fairly common list of parts to make this swap an easy one?
I know Silver Sport makes a kit but if I wanted to attempt to do a cheaper swap myself (think Roadkill) can it be done without to much crazy fab work?
So my questions here would be which parts to source for the following items? .....
I read a Chevy S10 6cyl T5 trans may work? Would I have to shorten or machine the input shaft length/diameter? The S10 T5 shifter location was said to fit the stock tunnel hole. Can a stock bell housing, mechanical throwout bearing and clutch fork etc be made to work here?
Then what about the Pilot bearing?
What clutch disc would work with the trans splines and work with say a stock pressure plate and stock flywheel?
I have an A body Z bar
and then what about the trans mount and cross member?
I'll need to ensure the mount is set to the correct height for the driveshaft angles so and advice is appreciated. With this i would try to measure the existing trans slip yoke to floor as installed and match this.
I guess guys use the T5 slip yoke from the donor? and maybe a Adapter u joint?

Thanks in advance
What engine is in your duster? A T5 is going to require a custom bellhousing no matter what as the T5 NEVER came behind anything in a duster. Unless you've got a stock Slant 6, I'd steer clear of the T5. Its a very weak transmission and much more than 250hp and you'll break it. Been there.

No, the stock bellhousing, clutch set up etc, none of it will work with the T5. T5 also has a different input shaft size, meaning no stock disc or clutch.

Your cheapest, least fabrication required route would be to find an A body 833, either the non OD or the OD and swap it in. You can find a later model OD 833 for a couple hundred bucks on this site and a few others if you watch and wait. You can likely use the one you have now, IF you fabricate your own linkage, which isn't that hard to do

late T5 from a 90s-early 2000s mustang is rated at 300ftlb.
thats a dyno rateing focused on longevity i.e if i run this at 300ftlb of torque for the length of time that ford think it should last. it will last that long. I presume that some extrapolation was done. i don't think anyone ran a t5 at 300 ftlb for 3 or 5 year warranty period that a mustang will have had. so its a guestimate based on shaft size, materials, gear pitch size and distance bwteeen centres and bearings etc. Therefore a shock loading rateing will probably be higher (with a subsequnt reduction in component life). i take the attitude that Motors don't break gearboxes. people do.
Most people don't drive at the maximum torque output of their motor and if they do in many cases they approach it slowly. seconds or minutes rather than instantaneous
drag race situations, obviously different. but if you don't shift it like you are punching the aggressor in a pub brawl. well i think it will last

T5 in an A body with the tunnel/floor style that will take a small block 727 or a 3 or 4 speed manual. Mine is nearly in and this is what i have so far.

Australian Valiant charger with Hemi 265 I6 runing 12.5 CR approx 300 ftlb and 280 bhp
2002 mustang T5 WC with reverse idler/5th gear brake and electronic speedo
1980/90s chevy s10 tail housing for geared speedo drive. Tail housing needs to have the oil funnel scroll milled off flat like the one in the mustang housing and you need to mill a rectangular space in it for the tab on the reverse idler 5th gear brake retainer. it can go anywhere where you have enough meat in the housing on the now flat circle of the scroll area

ford shifter fits if you cut the cover plate and add some chevy positioned holes

you need to use chevy speedo gears on a sleeve clamped to the output shaft with a split collar and a modified clip so they line up with the hole.

get a roller bearing pilot bush and retainer for a dakota truck with a 1.75 inch bearing.
Get a new input shaft and a new steel IBR. Get the pilot end of the input shaft shrink fitted with a sleeve that takes it out to 1.75 inch so it fits the dakota pilot
and put in the new shaft with no. play properly shimmed only once the tail housing is torqued

this mustang box has the longer of the 2 input shafts, its still too short to fit it to the olite bush in the end of the crank so the pilot roller bearing in the crank register is ideal. it moves the "contact" area back by an inch or so to cater for this.

I used a standard aussie mopar bellhousing that fits my motor. (like a 225 size with 318 pattern and dowels inthe wrong place for v8) with a 14 mm aluminium plate adapter i got from modern drive line, it was not for this application (nothing ever is) so it was modified. you want the end of the spline on the input shaft, aligned with the friction surface of the flyhweel..or as near as you can

My bellhousing register was machined to fit the adapter and the adpater was cocked a few thou 1 way to allow an easy drill and counter sink of holes for the bellhouseing, which is unique to Australian chrylsers. just get an adptor that covers all t5 mounting holes and heas solid metal for at least 3 bellhouseing holes (you can allways drill and tap two more into the bellhousing face to cater for a wayward one that sits off the adapter, and choose one with a flange that is as close to your bell housing hole as possible, to minimise the boreing the bellhouseing needs, yo do not want to run into the clutch fork mounting area

i use a 10 inch clutch with a ford 10 spline plate and the throw out bearing from a jeep which works with a mopar clutch fork but has a similar bore as a US hemi style a833 IBR.
tunnel needs hitting with hammer up front for the edges of the box
and a hole is needed in front of the chassis cross member for the front position shifter which ends up in a "bench seat" "forward" poistion, use a swept back shifter. i still need to make a rear mount but will use 73--> spool mount piece to do that.
mustang LONG yoke and a combo joint (ford x small dodge) gets the orginal tail shaft in the right place, just position the joint the same distance from the tunnel as it was. result is same angles at both ends as you had

Other Options

Holden or Ford Australia BTR tail housings, BTR made T5s under licence in OZ, BTR inherited an ex Borgwarner Factory which is now closed, but was owned by Dana spicer after BTR. they also made the light weight robust axle used in the 82-92 Iroc Z and TA called a 9 bolt in US, but a borg warner/BTR/Spicer Axle M78 to the rest of the world

The aussie T5s had different gear pitch for stength as the aussies don't seem to care about gear noise. so internal parts don't swap easy, only as a complete set.
but the tail housing options provide more stick positions than US offerings which make the stick come up behind the torsion bar cross member on an A body

you can get ford style shifter gate positioning:-

a) 1 inch back from mustang
b) right at the back level with end of housing
c) over hanging the end of the output shaft and normal output shaft housing end by 1.5 inch
you just need to swap the yoke bush and seal to fit the yoke you wanna use, both ford and GM parts fit

speak to www.Austrans.com in Perth if you want one give them the measuremnets and they wil turn something up with speedo gears and a speedo cable if you ask

all world class with reverse idler brake so no machining to fit.
all have the boss for the speedo drive but it may not be milled if the speedo on the orginal car was driven from a tone ring in the diff. its a £60 job 1-2hour, set up machine and mill through into the output shaft tunnel at correct angle and bore, polish and drill and tap retainer hole. your labour rates may differ.

all need to use aussie speedo gears as the hole is in the oposite side (gears need to be reverse screw becasue of this, and you will need to re route or custom build a speedo cable)

to get a box with one of these housings to fit a mopar, with no cutting of the chassis, you need to cut out the shift rod houseing on the tail shaft housing.
put a seal and aluminium or brass bush in each cut end, and use a custom shift rod that you have kinked down to the, now exposed, top of the output shaft tunnel so it fits under the torsion bar cross member hump. normal retail clevis and pin connectors can work with narrow flat bar for this. Thus replicating the set up on an Australian Chrysler Valiant borgwarner single rail 4 speed, used in their Chrysler A body cars from 72- 82 (Valiant, valiant Charger, Dodge, models VH-VK and CH-CM)

so while a chevy s10 gearbox may work its a weaker box, i'd go for the 1999-2004 Mustang box for the best rated torque handling outside of race only boxes or expsenisve shorter shafted v8 mustang boxes from the early 90s and i'd modify it to fit my mopar without having to chop its chassis about. easiest done with the hot rodders favorite The Chevy S10 tailshaft housing. The manual speedo gears housing will not directly fit as discussed. the world class eletcronic one does.

keep an eye out on ebay for a guy in florida who sells ex insurance write off boxes for £400-600, don't belive anything said about recent rebuilt etc they are not, but they are in decent condition.

if i don't power shift it or side step the clutch at 4000+ i look forward to years of T5 use, the box it replaces is the austrlian single rail 4 speed rated at 250 ftlb which was used in Australia behind 265 hemi 6 and LA 318 i just upped my torque handling by 50 ftlb and added an extra gear by moving to its later mexican cousin

if chrysler Australia used a 250 ftlb rated box behind a 318 i'm happy to use one thatis 50 ftlb better behind a 265 that made more power and much the same torque as their not yet SMOGGED 1971 LA 318 V8

Dave

Last edited:
I have built a couple of those S-10 transmissions, and I can tell you that;
IMO
any 318 or bigger SBM, running a decent tire and a SureGrip will kill it, and it won't take long. Forget this idea.

On the flipside; the Regular A833 is one tough item. Build your engine right and a 4-speed is all you need. Build it like an old 302 Rustang and it will last forever.
If you want to run the A833od, your engine will need to have a short,wide, powerband, on account of that od box is a 3+1 trans. The ratios are; 3.09-1.67-1.00-.73od, and the splits are
.54-.60-.73
Which looks good on paper. But in real life and by my experience with a 367HO, pretty much sucked for me. Your results may vary. There is a reason you can buy them so cheap.

But as to fitment of the A833od; yes the longtail will fit no problem ( I have one in my 68 Barracuda.
Well except for;
1) a lil grinding of the front shifter-mount, which wants to occupy the same space that the T-bar X-member does, no biggie just grind it to fit.
2) you will need to fabricate a new adapter on which to mount the shifter, and
3) fabricate new, longer, stronger, shiftrods. If you position your adapter right, you can make these a straight shot, and
4) you will need to fabricate a new custom floor hump to accommodate the non-stock shifter placement and the custom rods. which leads to
5) the carpet will no longer fit, so out comes the knife.

But beware the 3-4 shift!
that 18tooth overdrive gear will not take any abuse; and when it blows up, and it will if you forget that you are shifting a 3+1, then it is well able to take the rest of the trans with it. Not every time mind you; out of the Three I blew up, one survived and took me home. So
keep a spare handy.
For performance;
If a stock Low-compression 318 is used, she will really like that 3.09 low gear. But when you shift into Second with that Smoggerteen, it's all over. Unless you have installed say at least 3.91s in the back.
If a stock low-compression 360 is used, then 3.73s can be used
If you pump the CCP (CrankCase Pressure) up on either of these, to close to the max for the fuel you intend to use, then they will put up with 10 to 20 percent less gear. But I mean; "put up with".
The goal is to have a decent usable Second gear, the gear you are gonna be in, for most of the time. I like an overall ratio of 6.80 or a tad more, with my 360HO. This gets me 11.7 mph per 1000rpm, so 3000=35mph/ 6000=70mph. There you go.
To do that with the 1.67 Second gear, will require 6.80/1.67=4.10s.
But that makes the starter gear to be 4.10 x3.09=12.67 which is super-low, and makes dropping into Second a very early shift. Or if you are in a hurry, you will have to really rev it out, to cover that .54 split. To drop into Second at 3000, will take 3000/.54=5555 rpm in First; see what I mean? If your engine is a low-compression big-cam slug, 3000rpm is way off the cam.
I ran this 3+1 behind a Smoggerteen, with a 4bbl, headers, and 3.55s; for just one winter. That was enough for me . I ran it for a couple of years behind my 367HO, trying all sorts of rear gears, and that is how I came up with the 6.80 overall Second gear. But in the end, I just couldn't stand that 1-2 split of .54.

The Regular A833 has ratios of 2.66-1.91-1.39-1.00 so the 1-2 split is 1.91/2.66=.718. So now reving First to 5555 will get you
5555 x .718=3990rpm, close to peak torque in a stock 340. And to drop into Second at 3000 will take 3000/.718=4180 in First. This works really really well with any SBM. Of course, the more CCP it builds, the better it works.
To get the 6.80 Second gear with this Regular trans, takes;
6.80/1.91=3.55s hmmmm, no wonder 3.55s are the street gear of choice with this box.
To pull that 6.80 gear at 3000 or less rpm(35mph), will take a stout engine. Which I have. Which a stock 318 is not. And a stock 360 sorta barely is. But don't try to rev either of these stockers to 6000!
lol.

IMO
for a fun combo;
any 318 with the Regular A833 and 4.10s is REALLY-BIG fun ..... around town. Been there done that; but 65mph is about 3350, so there's that.

late T5 from a 90s-early 2000s mustang is rated at 300ftlb.
thats a dyno rateing focused on longevity i.e if i run this at 300ftlb of torque for the length of time that ford think it should last. it will last that long. I presume that some extrapolation was done. i don't think anyone ran a t5 at 300 ftlb for 3 or 5 year warranty period that a mustang will have had. so its a guestimate based on shaft size, materials, gear pitch size and distance bwteeen centres and bearings etc. Therefore a shock loading rateing will probably be higher (with a subsequnt reduction in component life). i take the attitude that Motors don't break gearboxes. people do.
Most people don't drive at the maximum torque output of their motor and if they do in many cases they approach it slowly. seconds or minutes rather than instantaneous
drag race situations, obviously different. but if you don't shift it like you are punching the aggressor in a pub brawl. well i think it will last

T5 in an A body with the tunnel/floor style that will take a small block 727 or a 3 or 4 speed manual. Mine is nearly in and this is what i have so far.

Australian Valiant charger with Hemi 265 I6 runing 12.5 CR approx 300 ftlb and 280 bhp
2002 mustang T5 WC with reverse idler/5th gear brake and electronic speedo
1980/90s chevy s10 tail housing for geared speedo drive. Tail housing needs to have the oil funnel scroll milled off flat like the one in the mustang housing and you need to mill a rectangular space in it for the tab on the reverse idler 5th gear brake retainer. it can go anywhere where you have enough meat in the housing on the now flat circle of the scroll area

ford shifter fits if you cut the cover plate and add some chevy positioned holes

you need to use chevy speedo gears on a sleeve clamped to the output shaft with a split collar and a modified clip so they line up with the hole.

get a roller bearing pilot bush and retainer for a dakota truck with a 1.75 inch bearing.
Get a new input shaft and a new steel IBR. Get the pilot end of the input shaft shrink fitted with a sleeve that takes it out to 1.75 inch so it fits the dakota pilot
and put in the new shaft with no. play properly shimmed only once the tail housing is torqued

this mustang box has the longer of the 2 input shafts, its still too short to fit it to the olite bush in the end of the crank so the pilot roller bearing in the crank register is ideal. it moves the "contact" area back by an inch or so to cater for this.

I used a standard aussie mopar bellhousing that fits my motor. (like a 225 size with 318 pattern and dowels inthe wrong place for v8) with a 14 mm aluminium plate adapter i got from modern drive line, it was not for this application (nothing ever is) so it was modified. you want the end of the spline on the input shaft, aligned with the friction surface of the flyhweel..or as near as you can

My bellhousing register was machined to fit the adapter and the adpater was cocked a few thou 1 way to allow an easy drill and counter sink of holes for the bellhouseing, which is unique to Australian chrylsers. just get an adptor that covers all t5 mounting holes and heas solid metal for at least 3 bellhouseing holes (you can allways drill and tap two more into the bellhousing face to cater for a wayward one that sits off the adapter, and choose one with a flange that is as close to your bell housing hole as possible, to minimise the boreing the bellhouseing needs, yo do not want to run into the clutch fork mounting area

i use a 10 inch clutch with a ford 10 spline plate and the throw out bearing from a jeep which works with a mopar clutch fork but has a similar bore as a US hemi style a833 IBR.
tunnel needs hitting with hammer up front for the edges of the box
and a hole is needed in front of the chassis cross member for the front position shifter which ends up in a "bench seat" "forward" poistion, use a swept back shifter. i still need to make a rear mount but will use 73--> spool mount piece to do that.
mustang LONG yoke and a combo joint (ford x small dodge) gets the orginal tail shaft in the right place, just position the joint the same distance from the tunnel as it was. result is same angles at both ends as you had

Other Options

Holden or Ford Australia BTR tail housings, BTR made T5s under licence in OZ, BTR inherited an ex Borgwarner Factory which is now closed, but was owned by Dana spicer after BTR. they also made the light weight robust axle used in the 82-92 Iroc Z and TA called a 9 bolt in US, but a borg warner/BTR/Spicer Axle M78 to the rest of the world

The aussie T5s had different gear pitch for stength as the aussies don't seem to care about gear noise. so internal parts don't swap easy, only as a complete set.
but the tail housing options provide more stick positions than US offerings which make the stick come up behind the torsion bar cross member on an A body

you can get ford style shifter gate positioning:-

a) 1 inch back from mustang
b) right at the back level with end of housing
c) over hanging the end of the output shaft and normal output shaft housing end by 1.5 inch
you just need to swap the yoke bush and seal to fit the yoke you wanna use, both ford and GM parts fit

speak to www.Austrans.com in Perth if you want one give them the measuremnets and they wil turn something up with speedo gears and a speedo cable if you ask

all world class with reverse idler brake so no machining to fit.
all have the boss for the speedo drive but it may not be milled if the speedo on the orginal car was driven from a tone ring in the diff. its a £60 job 1-2hour, set up machine and mill through into the output shaft tunnel at correct angle and bore, polish and drill and tap retainer hole. your labour rates may differ.

all need to use aussie speedo gears as the hole is in the oposite side (gears need to be reverse screw becasue of this, and you will need to re route or custom build a speedo cable)

to get a box with one of these housings to fit a mopar, with no cutting of the chassis, you need to cut out the shift rod houseing on the tail shaft housing.
put a seal and aluminium or brass bush in each cut end, and use a custom shift rod that you have kinked down to the, now exposed, top of the output shaft tunnel so it fits under the torsion bar cross member hump. normal retail clevis and pin connectors can work with narrow flat bar for this. Thus replicating the set up on an Australian Chrysler Valiant borgwarner single rail 4 speed, used in their Chrysler A body cars from 72- 82 (Valiant, valiant Charger, Dodge, models VH-VK and CH-CM)

so while a chevy s10 gearbox may work its a weaker box, i'd go for the 1999-2004 Mustang box for the best rated torque handling outside of race only boxes or expsenisve shorter shafted v8 mustang boxes from the early 90s and i'd modify it to fit my mopar without having to chop its chassis about. easiest done with the hot rodders favorite The Chevy S10 tailshaft housing. The manual speedo gears housing will not directly fit as discussed. the world class eletcronic one does.

keep an eye out on ebay for a guy in florida who sells ex insurance write off boxes for £400-600, don't belive anything said about recent rebuilt etc they are not, but they are in decent condition.

if i don't power shift it or side step the clutch at 4000+ i look forward to years of T5 use, the box it replaces is the austrlian single rail 4 speed rated at 250 ftlb which was used in Australia behind 265 hemi 6 and LA 318 i just upped my torque handling by 50 ftlb and added an extra gear by moving to its later mexican cousin

if chrysler Australia used a 250 ftlb rated box behind a 318 i'm happy to use one thatis 50 ftlb better behind a 265 that made more power and much the same torque as their not yet SMOGGED 1971 LA 318 V8

Dave
Holy AJ...

If you can't fabricate linkage for what you have then buy plug and play parts ..

Your cheapest, least fabrication required route would be to find an A body 833, either the non OD or the OD and swap it in. You can find a later model OD 833 for a couple hundred bucks on this site and a few others if you watch and wait. You can likely use the one you have now, IF you fabricate your own linkage, which isn't that hard to do

So far as adapting a B/E body/ truck you can make an adapter "used to be" documented at "bigblockDart"

B/E body four-speed in an A-body

Same article in pdf Click on black icon and "save as"

Attachments

• B_E body four-speed in an A-body.pdf
    2.1 MB · Views: 123
Last edited:
Haha what an old post but it holds true

Well we got suckered in. THANKS DAVE NOT!!!! LOLOL
well i was looking for info as you do when looking for inspiration....
landed here via google
saw this as the newest T5 in an A body focused, old post
saw quite a bit of "NO you will bust it"... and while its hard not to agree, if you have a 340/360 or big block infront of a T5, PROBLEM but not everyone runs them.

For a slant or a 318 in "rebuilt, with some tall KB pistons and some headers with a little bit of cam" you'll be alright, unless you drive it like a lunatic.
most A bodies came with those sizes of motor...

so this was just a YOU CAN do it with these bits, as far as i can see based on how far i have got.

No T5 in an A body mopar post on any of the Mopar focused boards really covers getting it in, with no cutting of the chassis, Everyone seems to delight in hacking out the torsion bar cross member, and making the stick hole come up in its positon. I don't see the need to do that... so i worked it out best i could and said it here. getting that S10 tail housing on is key to a happy life.

I deliberatly keep my strange aussie I6 to have some fun 1.3 tonne car and 4 speed, 3.45:1 rear 5500 redline. With open headers it sounds like an accident in a tombone factory, but with not much other than 45 mm webers solid cam and higher CR. 50 year old springs bog stock everything else it can pull a 13.9 quater with me driving and i'm really quite rubbish.
Which means if its a standard muscle (looking) car in the small v8 category in the other lane, Run what ya brung style, I can say Thank-you very much, and "I beat you with a six". But what i don't want to do is trash the "only about 4000 cars" aussie RT style, close ratio 4 speed i have in it. Its part of the value of my car. but i'm happy to abuse a bit of ford T5 becasue they still make parts. My 4 speed went out of production in 1982 and is unknown anywhere but OZ i can't get parts from spicer UK they don't know where Australia is.

i did have one of the feather duster Aluminium overdrive boxes... aim was to bush it and run standard gears, but i would have needed to convert to US A833 four speed floor and tunnel and use a custom bellhousing for my motor
And i can't cut up a "one of only 1300" R/T car.
Of course i sit on the other side of the car as well... UK and Australia drive on the LHS of the road in RHD cars. The shifter would have been in the passenger seat. and i'm wedged into the narrow side of the floor pan with the peddles and emergency brake

so without a big motor, and with a need to keep factory body intact, and a wish to keep things mainly oem but still get some fun at the strip
(which i have to drive 75 miles to i might add, i live on an island, slightly smaller than Oregon with 66 million others and 2 drag strips) over drive and middling rear end, helps on the freeway i like maintain 70-80 MPH when no police looking with a bit in reserve for annoying BMWs and Audis

i can get to the track for £50 in fuel if i had a built 440 it would be closer to £200

A T5 makes sense to me in a "compact" car with a smaller motor.

anyway this is whats its going in, Hot Mustard its called in Australia, you guys know it as bahama yellow/Butterscotch

Aussie charger RT no 439 october 71

Tata

Dave

20210613_125344.jpg

20210613_114754.jpg

20210613_114702.jpg

Last edited:
^^Tell ya one thing I've always been jealous we don't have those engines LOL^^

And they aren't even a Hemi! LOL

I know. But if you say I’ve got a semi. People look at you funny

It’s kinda 1/3 of a sphere with the valves angled in and on the centre line of the cylinder. So you can fit a2.02 inch inlet in next to the standard 1.6 exhaust. With minimal wall restriction. Rockers are 1.72:1 ratio. Ballstud mount like a Chevy. They didn’t mess about. Avoided real hemi weak point. No crazy length rockers

-
Back