Manual v Electronic Transfer Case

-

HTMLmopars

Reaction score
I know it isn't a body, but y'all seem to know your stuff about all mopars. Long story short, I'm trying to cobble together driveline out of a wrecked 2000 Durango with a 5.9/nv231 into a 2001 RT shell. The RT had the awd case (i think its 242) and it was electronically actuated. The 231 case is the manual gear selection. I know the 233 case that showed up in the later trucks is just an electronically actuated 231, so is it possible to pull the brains from a 233 case and drop them onto my 231 case so that the case that I already have will interface with the truck? Or do I need an electronically actuated case?

So you don’t have or don’t want to use the AWD correct? The electronic connectors are different on the actuators. It changed somewhere around 2000-2002. I had to change mine going from AWD to PT. The switch is the same less the label. You’re going to need the actuator and matching connector to use in the truck.

Yeah, the donor truck is coming with no engine/trans. PO says the t-case is junk, but I can probably get the awd case from him, so I'll have the truck's original actuator and harness. Since I have a good 4wd case in the '00, I figure if the actuator can just go into place on that one, its way cheaper than sourcing a good awd case

Yes on getting the parts. If you’re going to hot rod it you probably want the PT case. A lot of the RTs got the 3.55 suregrip. Get the actuator and put it on the other case. The AWD cases were bad about wearing out the chain. There are several folks here including me that mess around with Dakotas if ya need parts. Start a want ad.

-
Back