Map light switch

-

a990

Reaction score
I have a '68 GTS clone vert that I'm trying to determine why the map light under the dash won't work. It doesn't have a map light switch mounted under the dash BUT I can plug the male connector into the cigar lighter female & get it to burn? Rear interior lights in back floor board area work with door switch/dome light on headlamp switch correctly. No map light switch bezel is seen anywhere or hole that would indicate it ever had one. I'm stumped. Thanks for any help!!

My map light doesn't work either in my 71 Swinger. Get this while I know there are wires going to it when I go to check and see where the light should be there isn't even a socket. Good luck figuring your problem out. I'm planning on using my switch for something else...extra external lights or maybe arming line lock.

switch and bezel would be beside and similar to the TOP switch.

Look at sheet 2 in these drawings. What color wires feed the lamp?

These might be better.

dash#2 shows the map lamp.

Thanks to all who've responded, found an earlier 2006 post that I'm going to try as well. I'll let you know how it goes, but won't be able to work on it for a couple of days.

The under dash light on the convertibles is the equivalent of the dome lamp in a hard top. It comes on with an open door or with the dash light dimmer.

The answer was found, word for word, under another set of posts titled 'MAP LIGHT PROBLEMS AND QUESTIONS' posted on 9-28-2006 by WYD OPN. Gives very concise detailed instructions. Took 2 minutes to unplug the cigar lighter female red end and plugged into the pink male end of the map light harness, then the female pink 90* terminal plugs back onto the cigar lighter. Jim was exactly correct in the above post as it works like the dome light in a hardtop off of the door switches and dome light switch. A nice diagram was also posted that was very simple. Another issue fixed thanks to this GREAT website and VERY HELPFUL members!! Thanks so much, again!!!!

-
Back