Masks

-
The ones that Ernestina are making are going to an assisted living center. One of Ernies friends, Joanie, lived there up until her death. Jenn, Joanies daughter is friends with several of the elderly folks living there. The facility knew that Joanie used to sew and figured that her daughter may still be in contact with Joanies friends that sew. The email said that they need not be sterile as they will be getting washed prior to being used....and in a time like this they are willing to take whatever they can get to help with the residents.

Spokane County Raceway had an impromptu Open Road Course day today. I am still unable to carry my cameras but I stopped by so that I could measure the tops of the various walls where I will be placing cameras this year. Got to talking with the safety guy at the track. He said he had to jump many hurdles to get the county/CDC to allow today to happen....from taking everyones temperature multiple times to sanitizing the rest rooms hourly. He also needed to make sure that there was enough masks present. The track is a county park. The safety crew is actually county firefighters and EMT's. I mentioned the mask thing to him. He told me he stopped by the county facility where he gets the medical supplies for the track from....no gloves nor masks to be had. Person in charge of the inventory said that FEMA has snatched up as much PPE as they possibly could...and did not care that they were leaving the counties employees with nothing.

I have sewing skills, and have some basic materials here where I am now. Looking at a simple, fast to put together mask design, and available cotton etc. materials to make them out of for the larger numbers coming up. Figure out what to do and how to do it and gather up a small team to get going on it.

I am sure there is a huge void to fill after the medical industry gets first dibbs on everything.

Seeing what is going to work for particular groups of people . . . first line of defense for starters.

Figure it out from there . . .

The ones that Ernestina are making are going to an assisted living center. One of Ernies friends, Joanie, lived there up until her death. Jenn, Joanies daughter is friends with several of the elderly folks living there. The facility knew that Joanie used to sew and figured that her daughter may still be in contact with Joanies friends that sew. The email said that they need not be sterile as they will be getting washed prior to being used....and in a time like this they are willing to take whatever they can get to help with the residents.

Spokane County Raceway had an impromptu Open Road Course day today. I am still unable to carry my cameras but I stopped by so that I could measure the tops of the various walls where I will be placing cameras this year. Got to talking with the safety guy at the track. He said he had to jump many hurdles to get the county/CDC to allow today to happen....from taking everyones temperature multiple times to sanitizing the rest rooms hourly. He also needed to make sure that there was enough masks present. The track is a county park. The safety crew is actually county firefighters and EMT's. I mentioned the mask thing to him. He told me he stopped by the county facility where he gets the medical supplies for the track from....no gloves nor masks to be had. Person in charge of the inventory said that FEMA has snatched up as much PPE as they possibly could...and did not care that they were leaving the counties employees with nothing.

A woman from a dentist office was in the radio today saying they are donating all their mask to local hospitals. She also mentioned that planned parenthood is still up and running and hanging onto their masks.

There are lots of people around the country that are already sewing up the "First Line of Defense" masks for general use. Hats off to them for gearing up and getting things started.

Manufactured these Traveling Bags from concept to finished product. Made approximately 50 of them. Should be able to come up with "First Line of Defense" Masks that gives some basic protection to get things started. Can get more intense with them and what they will filter as time moves on.

20200322_232515.jpg

Knowing that Covid-19 virus is transfered to the next person by breathing it in. First Line of Defense Masks are a great place to start, even if you are just out walking around minding your own business.

May inspire others to come up with the next best thing too.

Last edited:
It absolutely blows my mind that our hospitals don’t have enough masks. I understand the bed issues that will come but you would think we would be sitting on piles of masks.

I guess you know Canada did that and they are "expired".
I can't say I understand.
If they are stored correctly do they break down that quickly?
That MAY be some of that legal medical liability stuff that has kept 3M from designating no more than 5 million of the 35 million a month they can produce as "medical" till now.

That MAY be some of that legal medical liability stuff that has kept 3M from designating no more than 5 million of the 35 million a month they can produce as "medical" till now.

Some bean counter thought it made sense.

One question that needs to be asked, why are the hospitals going through so many masks. My wife is a retired nurse with working 30 plus years in all various aspects of patient care. She told me if they are disposing masks after each use they are being wasted. The hospitals that she worked at had policies that one mask per person was needed per shift. Even in the cases where she took care of people in isolation. Only time a mask was changed if it was soiled. I can see changing a mask if a patient were to cough or sneeze in your face. Also, a mask can be sanitized by merely wiping with a sanitized wipe.

Im curious about expiration dates on masks also. Heard the same thing up here in Canada about expired ones being thrown out? After SARS, they were mandated to keep higher stock levels, but what's with expiration date?
Bless you George and others for doing this.

in st louis, some ladies were making masks but were told the hospitals would not accept them because they "NOT FDA APPROVED". bout time that the FDA was disbanded and all them be put into ........

in st louis, some ladies were making masks but were told the hospitals would not accept them because they "NOT FDA APPROVED". bout time that the FDA was disbanded and all them be put into ........
They don’t have the government mandated warning labels affixed to them warning of choking, not being edible, possible death if incorrectly worn, not being toys etc etc

OK @adriver got this Protection Mask design "Pattern" off your above post #29 link.

Made up the first one as a rough draft, so far so good.

Looking into other materials and sewing assembly techniques. Doing some more thinking to help speed up the assembly/sewing process.

20200324_183343.jpg

20200324_183244.jpg

20200323_192033.jpg

20200323_163629.jpg

20200321_153907.jpg

Others feel free to hop in and start making masks in your area. There is a huge shortage for all people.

This whole virus thing is going to get worse before it gets better. Main virus transmission is by breathing it in, from an infected person spreading it around unknowingly.

A few cities away from me they are doing a stay at home lockdown in Orlando starting Thursday evening for 2 weeks as their virus rates are multiplying fast by the day.

Wisconsin is closing the highway boarders to Minnesota on Thursday, closed to all non essential traffic.

Stay Home, Stay Safe . . .

These masks are not to designed to keep you from getting it... through they may help. They are to help limit you from spreading it.

My wife is involved in a sewing group, and they are going to try to make some of these.

2nd design for masks. This one sews together faster, material does not frey when the patterns are cut.

Can wash them with detergent and reuse them over and over.

Keeps it's shape nice too. Working to come up with some adjustable straps, so they can fit different people.

Looking into some different filtering materials.

20200325_191112.jpg

20200325_195221.jpg

Here's a tip for us car guys-

If you already own one of the popular 3M 5300 series respirators used for painting, you already have an N95 spec system!

In fact, the replaceable filters could even be P95 spec which is actually better.

Additionally, they are better sealing and are adjustable.

Not only that, there is valving to control intake through the filters, and exhaust through a central valve.

Now that I've bought enough for my family at "normal" pricing of about $25 with free shipping I feel free to let the secret out.

I bet the prices soar once the general population figures this out.

figured I would let you know what they are doing at the wife's office
as you know, a local church made several cloth masks, which of course are not up to the same standards as the N95s
so they are using thier N95s under these cloth masks and that allows them to use the N95s much longer
(the cloth ones of course get washed daily)

Here's a tip for us car guys-

If you already own one of the popular 3M 5300 series respirators used for painting, you already have an N95 spec system!

In fact, the replaceable filters could even be P95 spec which is actually better.

Additionally, they are better sealing and are adjustable.

Not only that, there is valving to control intake through the filters, and exhaust through a central valve.

Now that I've bought enough for my family at "normal" pricing of about $25 with free shipping I feel free to let the secret out.

I bet the prices soar once the general population figures this out.

Yep, here is another good one:
3M 07193
Charcol Respirators with Pre Filters

Made in the USA too . . .

20200326_110920.jpg

I posted this on the b body side and a member commented on the unfiltered exhaust air not protecting others.

That's a valid concern, but at the next stage of the game, I'm less concerned about others as I am about my self and family.

I don't intend to go out (and have not in the past) while sick.

But if I HAVE to go out among potential carriers who don't yet show symptoms, I want to protect ME.

BTW, the one I've had for about 8 years says "made in china" on it.

Went grocery shopping today, wore one of these simple masks.

Something is better than nothing. The way the virus is spreading though out the nation, a person needs every edge you can get.

Others in the store are now wearing masks too.

4-3-2019

20200403_123845.jpg

-
Back