massive reconfiguration time again.

-
Well this might be a more fitting end to this thread...
I finally got the front end aligned and actually did a real test drive out on the street today. I did have the two-step stick somehow and that was a small Fiasco and the fans seem to like it 30 amp fuse instead of a 20 amp fuse. Beyond that everything seemed to go good I even took it out on the freeway for a short blast and it drove fairly well. I ended up at a friend's car lot and there was already one or two cars lined up and I lined up mine and then my buddy went and got his Cuda and we had a full-blown mini Private Car Show broke out!....
Behind the Rambler Gasser was a 64 Chevelle I don't even think the guy new how fast it was! I know who he bought it from though and I know it's very fast. It's definitely on nitrous. Then even be on that tucked around behind a truck is another friends 9 second El Camino.
IMG_20180418_134517.jpg

IMG_20180418_135905.jpg

So are you ready to race Yellow Rose now?
Or do you have some little things you still need to do to the car to get it on the track?

In short I pulled the car in the garage after the last car show. I want an easier car to drive on the street. I had the cam and lifters reground and put in a manual water pump in lieu of the electric one and a new 2 core aluminum radiator in lieu of the stock One Core.
Everything is set and ready to break in the cam tomorrow morning.

the best time to break in a camshaft is 8 pm, any earlier it will lose a lobe or 2.
so get busy , we are approaching the magic hour here in the PNW.

Our home faces the west and the sun gives us direct light in the front windows and garage in the later afternoon. I would like to get it done in the morning when it's shaded and cooler, and I'm cooler too.
the best time to break in a camshaft is 8 pm, any earlier it will lose a lobe or 2.
so get busy , we are approaching the magic hour here in the PNW.

The best time is 2 beers in, any more and your fucked any less and it's to early...

Maybe if you watch a little **** befor you crank it, your attention will be better focused when it starts up.

Nope after that no man has any focus on squat besides going to bed.

@ j pat
If u get the chance i would love to see some pics of the tilt frontend on that red car.

Nope after that no man has any focus on squat besides going to bed.

@ j pat
If u get the chance i would love to see some pics of the tilt frontend on that red car.
No problem, I see it from time to time but I'm sure it's not going to be anywhere near the quality of work that you do.

Okay it must be time to break the cam in because my heart is bouncing from my throat to my stomach LOL it's so funny! My assistant mechanic should be home from the grocery store in a little bit. Again I believe sooner than later my wife would be more knowledgeable than anybody I know to help me in this situation LOL

Last edited:
It was getting up near 205° at break in, but hung around 190° on the test drive. That's a 15° improvement over before. It is about 90° outside.
That was the first time I rounded a corner in second.

Got pictures?
I don't think it changed in looks much since basically I changed the cam LOL but I guess I changed the water pump and the radiator too so that's different.
I should be able to get to the track by the end of the month.

I had my friend that I race with at Woodburn text me this morning and said that Woodburn is 2018 team champions. I guess they finalize that in Idaho last night. He said him and his wife took the picture with the team Wally. I look forward to racing with Jay at the end of the month. He's got a great car but I'm telling you this man is just one great person period.
IMG950927~2.jpg

Finally getting into tuning in the carbs.
They "were" just a little bit rich 13.7-14.2 at idle and 12.1-12.4 at wot. I stopped using 100ll and started using 50% 92 non ethanol and 50% Sunoco 110 leaded. that seem to make everything dropped one point across the board. Then I changed the cam and went back to the 100ll and still a point to a point and a half rich.
Edelbrock 1406 and carter performance. They both have the same .095 secondaries and .098 primaries 71/47 metering rods. < Those rods are three stages rich from stock setup. So I'm starting with .092's in the secondaries and some stock 75/47 rods. Also I am going to try some spring changin.

Now is this a "kill" tune or your street tune?

You may make more power if you can stay at 12.5 WOT
We often see 30 HP on the dyno going from 13 to 12.

I didn't see your final numbers so not sure where you are.

I'd like to see the plugs and see what you got.

Now is this a "kill" tune or your street tune?

You may make more power if you can stay at 12.5 WOT
We often see 30 HP on the dyno going from 13 to 12.

I didn't see your final numbers so not sure where you are.

I'd like to see the plugs and see what you got.
I threw new plugs in it and just basically broke in the can with breaking oil and took it for about a 4 Mile Drive. It was just running way too rich during all that time so I don't even want to see what the plugs look like LOL I want to make a jet change, run it a little and then check the plugs. I'm gonna put a good street tune on it. I'm still taking it to the track though.

^^^also I'm not sure if or how much of the secondaries the motor actually uses? I get full primaries on both carbs mechanically and then any vacuum left pulls open the secondary doors. Or that's the way I understand it.

-
Back