Master cyl install

-

GSXcite

Reaction score
I have a 66 barracuda with power brakes. The rebuilt master cyl has a tab and screw holding the piston in on the mating surface to the booster. The original thick gasket for the master cyl. Is not usable, and the rebuilt did not come with a gasket. Question 1, does the tab holding the piston in remain on the master cyl. When you install it on the booster? It seems to me the master cyl. Would not sit flush on the booster even with a thick gasket. Question 2, anyone know where I can buy the thick oem gasket for the master cyl? Thanks

The tab needs to remain. The gasket you are talking about- do you mean the cover gasket? There should be a "notch" in the booster that allows the M/C to sit flush. Don't forget to check the clearance between the M/C pushrod and the back of your M/C piston.

The tab needs to remain. The gasket you are talking about- do you mean the cover gasket? There should be a "notch" in the booster that allows the M/C to sit flush. Don't forget to check the clearance between the M/C pushrod and the back of your M/C piston.
Thanks for the reply. The gasket is between the master cyl. And the booster. How do you set the clearance on the pushed?

Wait for more replies, but I don't think a gasket is required there. This is often overlooked, but sometimes you can maximize your brake performance by eliminating any excessive play between your boosters pushrod (it is usually adjustable) and the back of the M/C piston. I usually use a dial caliper. It is a little awkward but the point is to have as little a space as possible between the two without actually touching the piston.

I have a booster and Master cylinder together in the scrap pile from a 67. I can split it and take pictures if you want. I believe that tab comes off and there is a ring that bolts on using the two bolts. Guys never install them so they go missing. They just leave the shipping tab on I don't use Power brakes on my cars . That's Just me. I am not sure on power brakes but like I said I can look. Let me know. Steve

I have a 66 barracuda with power brakes. The rebuilt master cyl has a tab and screw holding the piston in on the mating surface to the booster. The original thick gasket for the master cyl. Is not usable, and the rebuilt did not come with a gasket. Question 1, does the tab holding the piston in remain on the master cyl. When you install it on the booster? It seems to me the master cyl. Would not sit flush on the booster even with a thick gasket. Question 2, anyone know where I can buy the thick oem gasket for the master cyl? Thanks
I'm interested in your findings, I will need one as well.

Here is what I found. The master cylinder has a snap ring. I have others with the two bolts they are manual brakes.

The power unit that is here has an aluminum piece with a rubber gasket . That piece is laying on the vice and seals the booster to the master. I have a picture as it was on and with it off the master. Here are some pictures I took of the manual and power brakes. I don't need this power unit or master. It has the factory brackets also if you or someone wants it just pay the shipping. I can glass bead some of the parts if needed.

It looks like the manual brake master has the ring that holds a boot. I know the master I put on the Duster has a plastic gasket the holds the boot. The 67 manual master the piston support with the two bolts holds the boot. Look at the pictures.

DSCN1752.JPG

DSCN1753.JPG

DSCN1754.JPG

DSCN1755.JPG

DSCN1756.JPG

DSCN1757.JPG

DSCN1758.JPG

DSCN1759.JPG

DSCN1760.JPG

DSCN1761.JPG

Booster Dewey rebuilt my booster 3 years ago, and I took the booster off and sent it back to have them sort it out. They did tell me the rebuilt master cylinder for my car has the tab and screw and it stays in place, use 2 gaskets and use sealer and let it set up completely before using. The two gaskets allow the master cylinder to sit flush to the booster. I did discover what the problem I had with the pedal not returning. The rod from the booster to the master cylinder was adjusted to long and created a bind in the rod going to the booster. The oem master cylinder looks like picture 2 above, but mine has no lock ring to hold in the piston, or tab like the rebuilt units. Don't know how to install on the booster and keep the piston from popping out. Thanks for the reply's, I will post the results when when I get the booster back from Dewey's.

-
Back