master Cyl questions

-

FISHYPETE

Reaction score
Replacing the master cyl with a new replacement cyl. 66 Barracuda disc stock setup. It has the extra reservoir on top but replacement doesn’t. The original cap has a small pin hole near the top by the nut. Wouldn’t that let moisture in? Also what color would an original unit be? Not a points car but like to look original Thanks

Pete,
I had rebuilt mine keeping the original case upper and lower also there is a disc on the inside. With a standard rebuild kit.

Don’t part with that master cylinder it comes apart in two pieces upper and lower. You’ll never find it again.
It’s also the tell tale of factory disc brakes.

IIRC the stock cap has a rubber diaphragm inside that actually seals the reservoir from outside air. the pinhole may allow for some expansion/contraction of the diaphragm. Also the extended reservoir should come out of the old one and fit into the new one but you'll need the original cap bolt.

just for knowledge got any pics?

i know originality is key to our restorations but most would replace that master with a dual outlet piece and set the original aside to keep with the car.
Something to think about.

I agree with @ir3333 . My 66 is factory Kelsey Hayes, and I replaced it with a dual reservoir unit. Much safer for when the family is with me. Most people have no idea it's not stock, lol.

IMG_20150604_154359.jpg

It is cool for car shows. If safety matters more, change to a dual MC. Many posts on re-plumbing for it.

-
Back