master cylinder for 68 dart front disc

-

roadsterdude

Reaction score
I did a search to see what master cylinder I would need for my 68 dart.
But I'm getting conflicting answers.

My 68 Dart GT originally had Drums all the way around. It's manual brake, no power.

I did a 4 piston KH swap a long time ago for the front and I dont remember why I didn't change the Master Cylinder.

Right now the car doesn't stop very hard and the pedal is really stiff.

Should I just tell my local parts store I need a master cylinder for a 1972 Dodge Dart with front disc/ rear drum and
no power ?

Does anyone have any part number for the correct master cylinder for this combination?

Someone recommended Raybestos MC36412 and also Raybestos MC36406.

Thank You in Advance.

Here you go...

The correct master cylinder for you application is Chrysler part number 2808600 with casting number 2225541 which had a 1 inch bore and covered both manual and power disc brakes.

Rebuilders separated the master cylinder into power and manual disc brakes

Manual disc brake compatable cylinders are

101326 M Cardone
MC 36221 Raybestos
18M1019 AC Delco
UP 36221 Napa
SS4736221 Napa

Power Disc Master Cylinder

101326 Cardone

Hope this helps you out

Here you go...

The correct master cylinder for you application is Chrysler part number 2808600 with casting number 2225541 which had a 1 inch bore and covered both manual and power disc brakes.

101326 M Cardone
MC 36221 Raybestos
18M1019 AC Delco
UP 36221 Napa
SS4736221 Napa

101326 Cardone

Hope this helps you out

Wow...that definite does help me out plenty...
Thank You very much...

Looks like a typo on the casting # 2225541. It is actually 2225411 here is a chart I found

brake_chart.jpg

Looks like a typo on the casting # 2225541. It is actually 2225411 here is a chart I found

Here we go again...

The above chart for the master cylinder for the 67 to 70 with disc brakes is incorrect.

The correct casting number is 2225541 and this has been verified with Mastershake 340 (BRAD) who was an engineer with Brake Parts Inc. and wrote the article that this list appeared in.

I used to have a hell of a time with buying pre-1973 brake master cylinders for "A" bodies .

99.99% of the time , the parts stores' computers didn't list them , asserting that " ... disc brakes weren't available for your car(s) until 1973 ... " .

REALLY ?!?!?

Disc brakes were available as early as 1965 for Darts and Barracudas !!!!
( now there's a ***** of a part to find ! Prior to 1967 , the m.c.'s were single-circuit ! )

btw , any particular reason why you chose the archaic-and-trouble-prone K-H 4 piston disc brakes ?

One more error in this chart... although a small error

Chrysler part number 3580184 with casting number 2229271 was available on 1972 to 1974 E bodies with manual disc brakes

This has also been verified.

Sometimes you can't believe everything you read

Here you go...

101326 M Cardone
MC 36221 Raybestos
18M1019 AC Delco
UP 36221 Napa
SS4736221 Napa

101326 Cardone

Hope this helps you out

Update...

My friend called some of the supply stores that he knows and gave them the 101326M part number and they were able to cross reference to a Carquest number..

389087955.jpg

After bench bleeding the MC, we were able to install it in the car and did not require any more bleeding. I was so suprise that its possible to install a MC without bleeding the whole system..

Anyways I was able to now lock up the brakes , when I was not able to before.
The test is driving it down a mountain road near me this week to see if my brakes will over heat.

389087961.jpg

389087960.jpg

This is the old Master Cylinder on my dart..

389087956.jpg

389087958.jpg

Here is the new one installed..:toothy10:

Thank You very much for all your suggestions..

Now on to the next project....

Here we go again...

The above chart for the master cylinder for the 67 to 70 with disc brakes is incorrect.

The correct casting number is 2225541 and this has been verified with Mastershake 340 (BRAD) who was an engineer with Brake Parts Inc. and wrote the article that this list appeared in.
I stand corrected I have a couple of these units and they do in fact bare the 2225541 casting number. I new I should have taken a look before posting. But with that said the pics posted by roadsterdude look nothing like the correct 2225541 casting, but it looks like fit and function is their and I guss that is what is important. Here is a link to the correct master cylinder http://www.power-21.com/BendixPower21i/PartDetail.aspx?b=B&pn=R11487

Where do you find the casting number? I've got 3 older disc M/C and none have any casting number on them. One has what I think is a part number (2660808) but that doesn't correspond to any of the part numbers on that posted list.

Unless you want stock looking I would go with the aluminum one like on Mancini racing. I got one for my car and absolutely love the way it feels compared to the old stock type. Look on Mancini's website.... you can get them elsewhere cheaper. Oh you have to buy the adapter plate but it's worth it... to me was anyways.

Unless you want stock looking I would go with the aluminum one like on Mancini racing. I got one for my car and absolutely love the way it feels compared to the old stock type. Look on Mancini's website.... you can get them elsewhere cheaper. Oh you have to buy the adapter plate but it's worth it... to me was anyways.
Here are the Mancini master cylinders http://chucker54.stores.yahoo.net/24whdibrmacy.html the bore is larger than 1" and will increase pedal effort but will still work, just understand that when you go with a larger bore master cylinder, increased pedal effort is what you get.

btw , any particular reason why you chose the archaic-and-trouble-prone K-H 4 piston disc brakes ?

A friend of mine swapped his small bolt pattern with big bolt pattern and the KH 4 piston that he took off were from Stainless steel brakes.

Its been a long time...but I think I was able to get everything up front to convert my 68 Dart..

Here are the Mancini master cylinders http://chucker54.stores.yahoo.net/24whdibrmacy.html the bore is larger than 1" and will increase pedal effort but will still work, just understand that when you go with a larger bore master cylinder, increased pedal effort is what you get.

Are you saying that's bad or good? All I know is the pedal felt better by a long shot. Also the old stock type master cylinder wouldn't work well with my line lock because the car still rolled. I wouldn't roll with the aluminum late model MC.

Are you saying that's bad or good? All I know is the pedal felt better by a long shot. Also the old stock type master cylinder wouldn't work well with my line lock because the car still rolled. I wouldn't roll with the aluminum late model MC.
You may not have had the correct master to start with, you might of had one with a larger bore :dontknow:.I say if it stops better that's good. When you have a larger bore you move more fluid for a given amount of pedal travel, resulting in greater effort, if you had a new 1" m/c their would be a little more travel and a little less effort:thumbup:

You may not have had the correct master to start with, you might of had one with a larger bore :dontknow:.I say if it stops better that's good. When you have a larger bore you move more fluid for a given amount of pedal travel, resulting in greater effort, if you had a new 1" m/c their would be a little more travel and a little less effort:thumbup:

If I remember correctly there is actually 2 sizes of late model MCs... one with a 15/16" bore I believe it was. I could be mistaken however.... if not 15/16 it was 1 something.

I have the KH manual brakes, and when I needed to replace the mc I found some info on using a 73-76 Dodge power mc, (I may not have the years totally correct).
I do not recall where I got the info, but the car stops very well- way better than with the stock replacement mc.

I converted my 67 Dart to the large bolt pattern 73+ disc brakes and went with a mastercylinder for a 85 dodge diplomat. It has a 1 1/32" bore. And it is easy to get.

If it's any help the 68 disk brake cyl in Wagner is 75800...I use to sell 25 or 30 a year at one time.

-
Back