Master cylinder questions

-

Valkman

Reaction score
I have a 73 disc brake conversation on my 65. The brakes are un-boosted. The question I have the pedal feel is really hard and I wondering if there is a difference with master cylinder for power vs mannual set up?

yeah, like part number 101573 is for power brakes, 101573M is for manual brakes. I don't recall exactly what the difference is. If its only a residual pressure valve in one of the line ports that could be removed with a hex key, this might not make a difference in pedal effort. I think its the manual master cylinder that has that extra thingy.
Our 67 is still 10 inch manual drums all around. Grand daughter complains about manual brake pedal effort often. Nothing wrong with the brakes. She is simply accustom to power assist in everything else she drives.

Yeah brakes work fine you just have to press really hard. I used to have a 73 Barracuda with mannual brakes years ago and it didn't seem to bother me. It could all be subjective since all the other cars we drive are boosted.

Last edited:
Is there a way l can identify which master cylinder it is? Is there an easily way tomodifying it if it is indeed for power brakes?

For manual disc brakes, the diameter of the piston in the master cylinder directly affects the amount of pedal pressure required to stop. A master cylinder with a smaller piston, generally around 15/16", will take less effort than one with a larger piston, which could measure 1-1/32".
It's possible there is a stamping or cast number on your MC that will tell you the bore/piston size. However it is possible that to determine what you have could require removing and/or dis-assembling your master cylinder.

The consensus is to use the power master on the manual brake, if you want an easier pedal. The travel of the pedal could possibly increase. All due to bore, as mentioned.

Yeah brakes work fine you just have to press really hard. I used to have a 73 Barracuda with mannual brakes years ago and it didn't seem to bother me. It could all be subjective since all the other cars we drive are boosted.
Thats because your older now buddy. Hope you are doing ok.

:BangHead::BangHead:WELL------- after a hair pulling episode THINKING I got the right one....... NOT !!

:BangHead::BangHead:WELL------- after a hair pulling episode THINKING I got the right one....... NOT !!

If you are referring to the casting number listed for "'67 - '70 A Body Power and Manual," the chart is, somewhat famously, in error. The correct casting number for that MC is 2225541.
DSCN0416.JPG

-
Back