Matchbox cars

-

Princess Valiant

A.K.A. Rainy Day Auto
Reaction score
Is there some reason that stores everywhere do not have matchbox cars?

A few weeks ago I found and picked up this fiat500 because I have a friend who is totally into these things.

We decided to work on a diorama so we need a few more fiat 500s. I thought no problem, how rare can a matchbox fiat be.....

Not only does every store I went to not have a fiat, but they hardly have any matchbox cars at all.

(4) dollar generals - wiped out
(2) Walmart stores - wiped out
(2) king soopers stores - wiped out
(1) Walgreens - they had matchbox cars but no fiatz.

What gives, is there a shortage, or just a shortage here locally?

20220724_150241.jpg

Last edited:
Whatsat? sorry, I was looking at my phone....

I haven't looked for them in stores around here, but now I am curious. I do see lots at car show swap meets. Last I bought was a Johnny Lightning 1971 Demon. Even yellow. It will be easier once I can walk, but I will report back.

There's a crapton on ebay.

48DD1985-6F50-495F-B2F1-991F7F806331.jpeg

found blue fiats at dollar tree. Wasn’t looking but walked past them and thought of this thread.

Those are non existent in my area. Can't say I ever saw the blue ones, only the lone red one.
I actually thought about picking these up and offering to send them to you. I still could if you’d like just say the word.

I've actually got Dale in a Mopar, turning left. They all face the other way.... darn Nascar crap. No fun....

Mattel actually bought Matchbox in the 1990's. So they are their own competition!

Low inventory of all 1/64 scale around here.

A few ridiculous "Star Wars" exaggerations.

A couple M2 haulers and huge corporate sponsor graphics cars.

Couple Auto World 64 nova wagons (kinda cool, actually).

Last few weeks I picked up a Matchbox Jeep Gladiator, and speaking of exaggerations, also picked up a Johnny Lightning 73 Satellite "Zingers".

I'm kind of surprised they've kept the brands independent.

Matchbox tends to focus on officially licensed products and commercial/heavy equipment.

Hot Wheels tends to focus on in-house designed "hot rods" and custom graphics.
(aside from the weird licensed star wars name stuff)

-
Back