Matching numbers 68 dart questions

-

markfh

Reaction score
I have this 68 dart that I've had on stands for 25 years getting ready to hit the road again. In my work I've revisited the numbers thing checking all the numbers on the car that I can. I was looking for the vin on the block on the passenger side but didn't find it until I pulled the trany to rebuild and cleaned up the back of the engine.

There I found the vin numbers stamped in both the block and trany. Picture included. the numbers in the picture match the dash vin.

On the passenger side the date is part of the casting 6-22-67.

On the drivers side there is a casting number 27809-340-S (Looks like but not absolutely sure)

Also on the drivers side toward the front of the block are the numbers 340 (1?) Not sure here either.

On the front of the block drivers side at the head is stamped the number DW34022920029

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Mark

Attachments

• matching-numbers.jpg
    137 KB · Views: 214
The stamped vin's were generally not full vin. In your case 8B209397.
8=1968
B= hamtramck car factory (7th digit on vin should be a 2)
209397 should match last 6 of the cars VIN.

DW34022920029
D=1968,
W=Windsor engine assembly factory,
340=CI,
2292= engine assembled on Monday November 6 1967
0029= 29th engine assembled that day

6-22-67 is the date the block was cast.

Left side casting number should be 2780930 340(-5). the -S is likely a -5. The 5 is a block cast mold revision number. This signifies how many times a block cast mold had been changed since the beginning and a marker for being replaced. I dont think I have seen past a -9 on a small block

But as 68formula said simply - if these numbers pictured match the vin plate it is the factory block and trans.

The stamped vin's were generally not full vin. In your case 8B209397.
8=1968
B= hamtramck car factory (7th digit on vin should be a 2)
209397 should match last 6 of the cars VIN.

DW34022920029
D=1968,
W=Windsor engine assembly factory,
340=CI,
2292= engine assembled on Monday November 6 1967
0029= 29th engine assembled that day

6-22-67 is the date the block was cast.

Left side casting number should be 2780930 340(-5). the -S is likely a -5. The 5 is a block cast mold revision number. This signifies how many times a block cast mold had been changed since the beginning and a marker for being replaced. I dont think I have seen past a -9.

But as 68formula said simply - if these numbers pictured match the vin plate it is the factory block and trans.

Thank you for the information. I was concerned until I found the block and trany numbers. Yes, they all match the vin numbers on the dash. The fender tag though is not the original one. I guess when I bought the car in 85 I really didn't think about numbers. I guess I can get a reproduction.

Thank you for the information. I was concerned until I found the block and trany numbers. Yes, they all match the vin numbers on the dash. The fender tag though is not the original one. I guess when I bought the car in 85 I really didn't think about numbers. I guess I can get a reproduction.

What makes you think the fender tag is not the original? In 68 the fender tag did not have the vin on it.

In 68 and prior the fender tag will not match the vin. The bottom row of the fender tag should match the core support and left rear quarter panel lip numbers (hidden numbers). The one on the core support is on the left side about 8 inches over if the antifreeze sticker is still there it is probably under it. The one on the left quarter panel is under the seal about half way down and can usually be seen from under. The bottom right of the tag will read *** xxxxxx with the first 3 being the scheduled production date and the last 6 being the VON (vehicle Order Number) or SO number.
I hope this helps clear it up as many think the vin should match the fender tag and in 69 that would be correct, but not earlier.

rocky_ is correct. 68 and prior, all was different, the build sequence number is what he is talking about, and all this is confusing different the 69 and up for sure. i'm not sure exactly when in 68 all this changed to the "regular" vin thing. i'm sure some of the resto guys could give more info.

In 68 the VON will match the fender tags bottom right 9. The only way to truly tie it together for a 68 is with the broadcast sheet which will have the VON and the VIN on the same piece of paper. Otherwise you have to assume the VIN was not replaced however the cars vin and the fender tag options should be a telltale that the car is correct. engine, trans, color etc. This didn't change until 69 where the vin was stamped on the hidden locations, but still used a partial vin on the engine and trans with very few exceptions where the whole vin was used.

On 67 and earlier you can still get the build card from chrysler to tie it together.

In 68 the VON will match the fender tags bottom right 9. The only way to truly tie it together for a 68 is with the broadcast sheet which will have the VON and the VIN on the same piece of paper. Otherwise you have to assume the VIN was not replaced however the cars vin and the fender tag options should be a telltale that the car is correct. engine, trans, color etc. This didn't change until 69 where the vn was stamped on the hidden locations, but still used a partial vin on the engine and trans with very few exceptions where the whole vin was used.

On 67 and earlier you can still get the build card from chrysler to tie it together.

Ok Rocky you cleared it all up for me and a big thank you to all that have helped me on this.

After looking at the one half of the broadcast sheet I still have, the wife threw out the other half thinking it was garbage long ago, the numbers on the fender tag and the VIN are on the half I still have. So, that means the fender tag is the original for this car.

Other than that all numbers on everything I can see match the right year and car.

Again, thank y'all for your help.

Mark

-
Back