Matching paint??? HELP

-

Brooks James

VET, CPT, Huey Medevac Pilot
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Will need to touch up some paint on the dart. I got the car with a fresh paint job and the guy had done a combo of hemi orange andcandy apple. I can’t find a close enough match anywhere. I thought I remembered that there was a high tech tool that would help with a match. Any ideas?
Whoops searched again and found it!

Last edited:
Find someone who deals in House of Colors, if you take them a sample, paint chip, small panel or whatever they can get you close. Anything with candy, pearl, flip flop or whatever will probably never have a "perfect" match.

Find someone who deals in House of Colors, if you take them a sample, paint chip, small panel or whatever they can get you close. Anything with candy, pearl, flip flop or whatever will probably never have a "perfect" match.
Close enough will work

Find any good paint shop with a photo match camera and someone who knows how to use it.

I've had 100% success matching YY1, JF3, WW1, and EW1.

YY1 and JF3 are notoriously difficult to match.

My local paint shop has an 18 year old kid that gets it right all the time!

Will need to touch up some paint on the dart. I got the car with a fresh paint job and the guy had done a combo of hemi orange andcandy apple. I can’t find a close enough match anywhere. I thought I remembered that there was a high tech tool that would help with a match. Any ideas?
Whoops searched again and found it!

Minolta were the first to come to market with a "colorimeter" The Minolta Colorimeters are the most accurate for reading color position. Try to find a paint supplier who uses one.

Minolta were the first to come to market with a "colorimeter" The Minolta Colorimeters are the most accurate for reading color position. Try to find a paint supplier who uses one.
My first camera was a Minolta SRT-101. Loved that thing.

7AEF8F2E-30E9-435D-9044-3C300F37B9AA.jpeg

Minolta lenses fit Sony DSLR's. IIRC they bought the Minolta 'mount'. Lots of good classic glass out there for Sony Alphas, used to go for peanuts before the Alphas came out then the prices skyrocketed for old Minolta primes. Whats best way to fill in a scratch, ie. a nasty scratch that takes flecks of paint and primer down to undamaged metal..that thin body glaze stuff?

If it was done in a three stage paint the cameras usually don't work on "tri coats". Spies Hecker had one I used in the shop and was not great on a tri coat. If you determine it to be a tri coat you will end up needing to do a let down panel anyway. Tinting will help.

If it was done in a three stage paint the cameras usually don't work on "tri coats". Spies Hecker had one I used in the shop and was not great on a tri coat. If you determine it to be a tri coat you will end up needing to do a let down panel anyway. Tinting will help.

Was it a Minolta 2000 or greater?

Was it a Minolta 2000 or greater?
Spies is owned by axalta and uses their own camera system. That one is called aquire. Most paint manufacturers use their own color cameras. I've used close to 6 paint lines in solvent and water and none of them are perfect. Once I awhile they are great but when you scan 6 colors a day you'll see their limitations.

Spies is owned by axalta and uses their own camera system. That one is called aquire. Most paint manufacturers use their own color cameras. I've used close to 6 paint lines in solvent and water and none of them are perfect. Once I awhile they are great but when you scan 6 colors a day you'll see their limitations.

Axalta is a relatively new player in OEM coatings. And $4.35B in annual sales pales to the major players. And because of this I know very little about them.

I'll stand by Minolta Colorimeters because they perform, even on tri-coats. When I was responsible for 3 OE paint development labs we approved 100's of colors using Minolta's. Also, at the end of the day it's still the naked eye in daylight that is the final approval. A good tint guy also helped.

Axalta is a relatively new player in OEM coatings. And $4.35B in annual sales pales to the major players. And because of this I know very little about them.

I'll stand by Minolta Colorimeters because they perform, even on tri-coats. When I was responsible for 3 OE paint development labs we approved 100's of colors using Minolta's. Also, at the end of the day it's still the naked eye in daylight that is the final approval. A good tint guy also helped.
What paint lines did you work with? Axalta owns Spies Hecker and bought Dupont so they have a huge share in the automotive coatings. They purchased Spies Hecker for their technology as they were a great German company with awesome paint lines. One of my favorite to use. Apparently the Dupont line wasn't as good so they are now very similar. They also own Imron, Nason, Standox which are huge in the fleet industry.

This is the Akzo Nobel camera they supply with all of their lines as well.

20210113_095238.jpg

What paint lines did you work with? Axalta owns Spies Hecker and bought Dupont so they have a huge share in the automotive coatings. They purchased Spies Hecker for their technology as they were a great German company with awesome paint lines. One of my favorite to use. Apparently the Dupont line wasn't as good so they are now very similar. They also own Imron, Nason, Standox which are huge in the fleet industry.

This is the Akzo Nobel camera they supply with all of their lines as well.

View attachment 1715669230

I worked for the largest chemical company in the world. They are a fortune 100 company. I compared Axalta's 2020 sales against the paint sales of my former employer and there was a significant difference. I hope this answers your question. Like I said, I know very little about Axalta and I've been out of the OE paint game for quite a few years. I paint now as a hobby and mostly on my own stuff.

I'm not on this forum to promote any one paint company. I'm here to help and lend some guidance to refinishing. In my career I have trained paint trainers, customer paint technicians, individuals who wanted to learn and a few paint lab people in manual and automated systems.

I worked for the largest chemical company in the world. They are a fortune 100 company. I compared Axalta's 2020 sales against the paint sales of my former employer and there was a significant difference. I hope this answers your question. Like I said, I know very little about Axalta and I've been out of the OE paint game for quite a few years. I paint now as a hobby and mostly on my own stuff.

I'm not on this forum to promote any one paint company. I'm here to help and lend some guidance to refinishing. In my career I have trained paint trainers, customer paint technicians, individuals who wanted to learn and a few paint lab people in manual and automated systems.
I wasn't disputing anything you said just curious what paint lines you worked with. I have worked with a lot on the painter side. Lots of different products when the world went to water. I have always wanted to be a paint technician trainer but not much opportunity there anymore.

I wasn't disputing anything you said just curious what paint lines you worked with. I have worked with a lot on the painter side. Lots of different products when the world went to water. I have always wanted to be a paint technician trainer but not much opportunity there anymore.

I have only worked with material from the top 3 paint suppliers. Lately I've been using H.O.C and SEM products on motorcycle parts.

Yes, I think the service levels of most of the paint suppliers have fallen off. And that's a shame too.

Take care

I have only worked with material from the top 3 paint suppliers. Lately I've been using H.O.C and SEM products on motorcycle parts.

Yes, I think the service levels of most of the paint suppliers have fallen off. And that's a shame too.

Take care

I think the service levels of paint suppliers to hobbyists have fallen off. I have spoken to both the local Martin-Senour rep and the PPG rep about supplying early paint colors (pre-1980) with little success. Apparently they have both had their service territories expanded to the point that they are overloaded just servicing large consumers like body shops. Sign of the times.

This has little to do with triple colored fancy stuff, but for OEM finishes from the 60'2, 70's, I have no problem with OEM from local PPG store and TCP Global color library.

I think the service levels of paint suppliers to hobbyists have fallen off. I have spoken to both the local Martin-Senour rep and the PPG rep about supplying early paint colors (pre-1980) with little success. Apparently they have both had their service territories expanded to the point that they are overloaded just servicing large consumers like body shops. Sign of the times.

Tech service at all levels (OE, Tier1, Industrial and Refinish) has fallen off with the top 3 paint suppliers and I'm sure a few others as well. It's all about the bottom line with everyone it seems. My mandate when I had responsibility for the tech service team was `service sells` and it worked too. If you don`t look after your customer someone else will.

Martin-Senour supplies refinish paint!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!..........Boy have I been away from the game too long!!!!!

This has little to do with triple colored fancy stuff, but for OEM finishes from the 60'2, 70's, I have no problem with OEM from local PPG store and TCP Global color library.

What can I say. We all have a short attention span!

Glad to hear that PPG and TCP Global are meeting your refinish needs.

Tech service at all levels (OE, Tier1, Industrial and Refinish) has fallen off with the top 3 paint suppliers and I'm sure a few others as well. It's all about the bottom line with everyone it seems. My mandate when I had responsibility for the tech service team was `service sells` and it worked too. If you don`t look after your customer someone else will.

Martin-Senour supplies refinish paint!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!..........Boy have I been away from the game too long!!!!!

Martin-Senour is the NAPA house brand in my town.

Yep, me too. Way back in the day (late 80's) I used Martin Senour acrylic enamel on my Superbird. The paint rep was at the NAPA store one day while I was there getting paint, and he took an interest in what I was working on when he saw the FJ5 paint that was being mixed for me. While we were talking, he was the one who told me that Martin Senour was the automotive paint division of Sherwin Williams. I still have an unopened gallon of Martin Senour FK5 Dark Burnt Orange Poly he gave me for my A66 Challenger. I'm gonna put it the shaker for a while and see if it's good enough to use on floor pans.....lol. I ain't brave enough to use it on anything you can see, as old as it is!

-
Back