Mating a 4 speed to a slant, question on years

-

70DartMike

Too many projects
Reaction score
This is kind of an A body question...

I have a '50 Fargo pickup, I'm in the process of installing a great running slant 6 I have into it.

My plan is to use the slant, along with a New Process 4 speed and bell/clutch/flywheel I've got.

The slant came out of a friend's '74 Dart, and the bell/flywheel/clutch parts are in a '66 W200. Am I running into balancer issues with the flywheel? Does that year slant use a cast crank, and say the flywheel may be a neutral balance?

Thanks

All the years I know of are internally balanced. You want a neutral balance flywheel.
Make sure the bell fits. Iron truck bellhousings wont fit in a car. Crank Register is small 67 & earlier.

Last edited:
There is a very confusing issue with the slant six crank between 67 and 68. The size of the hole at the end of the crank changed. The flywheel from one will not fit on the other engine. Its a huge problem on automatics but will also be a pain on standards. I am wanting to say the newer flywheel hole will be too large to fit properly on the old crank and that you will need a 67 and down flywheel. CharrlieS is very knowledgeable on this and there are several older posts which I will look for and repost

There is a very confusing issue with the slant six crank between 67 and 68. The size of the hole at the end of the crank changed. The flywheel from one will not fit on the other engine. Its a huge problem on automatics but will also be a pain on standards. I am wanting to say the newer flywheel hole will be too large to fit properly on the old crank and that you will need a 67 and down flywheel. CharrlieS is very knowledgeable on this and there are several older posts which I will look for and repost
He needs a late '68 & up flywheel. It's a 74 motor. I say late 68 because a lot of them had the 67 crank in the early production.

He needs a late '68 & up flywheel. It's a 74 motor

I THINK this is correct because the 68 up flywheel would fit tight on the newer crank . The 67 flywheel would have a pilot hole too small to go on the larger crank pilot. Easier fix than on the automatic. Since he's using ALL 68 and newer parts, there should be no problem. Sorry for the false alarm!

-
Back