max Duster tire size

-

ProStreetDuster

Reaction score
I'm looking at a 1970 Duster for my 14 year old son, since he wants a Duster like his dad and since I have an extra 10 pt cage and a set of 15x3.5 Centerlines for the front already. But I'm wondering if N50x15's on 15x10's will fit without sticking out. Has anyone got these to fit, and if so what did you have to do. And what offset worked. I'll relocate the springs 3", but will I have to mini tub it too?

an N-50 should fit. They are 28X12" you'll have to mini tubb it. Im going to try that very size whan I do mine. You'll nee 7.5" back spacing on a 10" wheel.

I think I just found the max tire size you can fit on a Duster if you mini tub it and relocate the leaf springs 3". I went to a Mopar Show in Fremont, California with my son on Sunday.
I noticed a KILLER LOOKING 71 prostreet plum crazy Duster pull in sporting some pretty big meats. So we went and talked to him. He had Mickey Thompson 29 x 15.5 x 15 sportsmans. He said the rims were 15 x 10's but he didn't know the backspace :(
The outer edges of the wheel wells were untouched!
All he did was trim that inner lip, the one that fat tires always rub on when you hit a bump, to about 1/4 to 1/2 inch wide to give the tires some bouncing room. Some people just roll this up.
This car looked Bad ***!
I bet these tires would look killer on an early Cuda. :wink: Are the wheel openings the same size as a Duster, sure look like it?
Too bad I forgot the camera, hopefully he will be at the next one.

I still havent done my relocation but last time at the track I saw a Duster with 30X13.5 ET street on it. It had the 3" relocation kit was mini tubbed and had the whell wells opened up a bit.

My 70 duster has 29X15.5X15 MT's on 10" wheels with the springs moved in 3" on each side and has full tubs. The rear end has been cut down too. Lets see if these pics works.

ND620028.JPG

ND620027.JPG

ND620028.JPG

ND620027.JPG

I've got M/T 29.5/11.5 slicks on mine with some room to spare, however, my springs are moved into the frame rail, it's mini tubbed, the quarters have been rolled and pushed out and the opening has been massaged both fore and aft. You are somewhat limited on overall diameter with out major surgery, especially with slicks that grow. About 30" in diameter is all you can go. Otherwise I have had a 15/33 in there on my 10", 7.5" backspace rim and it only touched lightly so there is room as far as width goes. The tire was only about 1/4" from the front wheel opening at the rocker panel though so it had no room to grow. I'm going to go ahead and narrow the rear about 3 inches per side and use a 12 inch rim with some 29.5/13's on it though soon. I figure by narrowing the rear the exact amount needed to perfectly center the wheel in there I'll be able to fit a little more.

BillyBBad said:
a 10.5 tread width is max for any A-Body.

You can fit a 10.5" tire on a Duster without moving the springs?

I've got 9" wide tires on my Duster now, and I've got about 3/4-1" of room between the tire and the spring. I thought if I went with anything bigger it'd be too close to the leaf.

I'd like to go with a 10 or 10.5" tire, though, so if it'll fit... ?

I ran a 9 X 29 on my Duster and had a lot of room. I use the offset hangers and shackles. It did have 11.5 X 31 Goodyears when I first got the car. They were mounted on 10" Centerlines and would just touch the lip of the fender if the car sat too much.

I ran a 28x13.5 comfortably, which is a et street or a 325/50/15. Springs moved in 3" and tubbed. A 29" tire doesn't fit well without moving the rearend back. I tried a 29x15.5 but it was very very tight. They didn't really fit inside the wheel well. I had a 15x10 wheel with 6.5 backspace and an a-body 8 3/4. Car was 72 duster. Best tire would be a 325/50 drag radial. Thats my opinion

I run a 315/60/15. 15x12s with 7" back space. Mini tub. Springs moved in. Factory length rear end. Front quarters trimmed. Fits perfect. Dosent stick out.
Total tire size = 30" tall. 14.5 wide (section width)

1971 plymouth duster

I ran a 28x13.5 comfortably, which is a et street or a 325/50/15. Springs moved in 3" and tubbed. A 29" tire doesn't fit well without moving the rearend back. I tried a 29x15.5 but it was very very tight. They didn't really fit inside the wheel well. I had a 15x10 wheel with 6.5 backspace and an a-body 8 3/4. Car was 72 duster. Best tire would be a 325/50 drag radial. Thats my opinion

X2. Mine has 28x13.5 et streets as well. Springs moved 3" and mini tubbed. Not sure on the back spacing but its a 15x12 rim.

My son's car.... 29x11.5x15

Attachments

• 01.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 1,547
  • 05.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 1,579
  • 02.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 1,621
Wow an old thread but still relevant.
I wonder if the o.p.'s son still has the car and what it looks like now.

29x14.5 on 12 inch wheels 7.5 backspace. so they are 5.5 out. 10 inch would work with 6.5 back space and would not hit at all with mini tube.

Attachments

• a18.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 1,182
  • a20.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 1,243
  • dus3.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 1,340
New here.. Have a 70 340 Duster, want to buy new widened rally wheels for rear, going with a 15" small pattern rim.. Rolling lip.. How wide a rim, how tall a tire and how wide can I go.. With out moving springs.. Thanks all

just jack up the tail end and those N50s will fit without moving anything ;)

1458394147_zpsdbeijvgl.jpg

If you actually want them to fit inside the quarters and aren't moving the springs a 275/60/15 is probably the best you're going to do. Rolling the lips can buy you a little space, but at normal ride heights you also have to contend with the shape of the wheel tub, so even rolling the quarter lips only buys a little extra space before you start hitting the "bump" in the outer wheel tub.

I have 295's on my Duster with stock wheel tubs, but my springs are offset a 1/2" and I trimmed back the quarter lip a 1/2" too. And mine are maxed out, no extra clearance anywhere, even mine rubbed occasionally before I added a 7/8" rear sway bar.

If you actually want them to fit inside the quarters and aren't moving the springs a 275/60/15 is probably the best you're going to do. Rolling the lips can buy you a little space, but at normal ride heights you also have to contend with the shape of the wheel tub, so even rolling the quarter lips only buys a little extra space before you start hitting the "bump" in the outer wheel tub.

I have 295's on my Duster with stock wheel tubs, but my springs are offset a 1/2" and I trimmed back the quarter lip a 1/2" too. And mine are maxed out, no extra clearance anywhere, even mine rubbed occasionally before I added a 7/8" rear sway bar.

Thank you 72bluNblu I appreciate your time, I may do some mods to get what I want.. any suggestions on the backspaceing on a 9" rim, and do you think a 10" on that rim would be safe?

-
Back