Max wedge intake

-

oldkimmer

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
is it possible to run it on standard port heads. Has anyone tried this. Mine are ported some but not much over stock size. The heads are Stage 6s. I do not want to max wedge port the heads Thanks. Kim

Kim, it certainly is possible. How effective I cannot say as I've never tested it dyno or flow bench wise. I had a mismatch like that with Edelbrock heads and an Indy MaxWedge intake and this was my solution.......$60-$70 on ebay

Splash Zone Epoxy A788

I just reshaped the intake manifold runners to fit my cylinder heads.

There is intake out there with stock & max wedge ports for 440s.

Go for it. Ive done it on other engines(bbc/ bbf) it actually worked well.The cross ram is a cork anyway.

is it possible to run it on standard port heads. Has anyone tried this. Mine are ported some but not much over stock size. The heads are Stage 6s. I do not want to max wedge port the heads Thanks. Kim
------------
sure it will run, but it`s gonna have a hell of a bunch of reversion in it !!!! be better to run a standard port intake on wedge heads , "if the ports are covered"

I think most of the reversion comes from the cam/cyl head not the ports.On a bbc with rect. port int oval heads the mismatch is huge and havent seen a bunch of reversion from the mismatch.

Port mismatch cannot cause reversion.
if u think the intake charge running into a flat smaller restricted port , like hitting a door w/ a small hole in it, won`t cause some interference , I got some swamp land for sale u might want . The same w/ smaller exhaust headers being on a bigger port, and the exhaust running into a ledge. Evidently u haven`t been around a flow bench much either !

If you think interference and reversion are the same thing, you're fucked up like a square BB.:)

A+A Transmissions are the ones who cast all of the correct replacement Max Wedge and Hemi Cross Ram intake manifolds.

They offer one that looks like the original 413-426 Max Wedge intake but has ports to match regular 440 heads.

They also have all of the hoses, cables, filters and hardware.......pretty pricey though.

440 Aluminum Max-Wedge Intake Manifold ("As Cast" Port) - A&A Transmissions

I shoulda asked this first. Do you already have the intake and is this a MaxWedge style intake or another style intake with MaxWedge size ports?

Yeah, I have those manifolds here. I don't recommend you just bolt the intake up, but I've never tested it like that.

joec says it works.

That A788 mixes up to a thick putty, like play-dough, and sticks where you put it. After it hardens you can grind it to the shape you want just like you would aluminum.

Ih-sup to you.

ause
If you think interference and reversion are the same thing, you're fucked up like a square BB.:)
what would u call the turbulence it would cause ? square bb, good one !

Turbulence I guess. Reversion starts as a combination of overlap and exhaust charge not getting fully expelled, so that when IVO the cylinder pressure is still more than atmospheric and reverts back into the intake. Now, a turbulent intake does not help and CAN compound the problem. Exhaust port mismatch is a bigger contributor. This is a rough explanation and one of our leaders can probably say it better.

I tried to run a Max Wedge cross ram on standard port heads years ago. It worked for a few miles then it didn't! I then looked at the parts and realized why it wouldn't work. Guess I just had to do it the hard way first..........

Hey Kim,

Is this a B or RB engine? Stage VI and RB you'll need spacers for a RB manifold. I suppose you could just taper the spacers, it'd be better than a blunt hit.

Turbulence I guess. Reversion starts as a combination of overlap and exhaust charge not getting fully expelled, so that when IVO the cylinder pressure is still more than atmospheric and reverts back into the intake. Now, a turbulent intake does not help and CAN compound the problem. Exhaust port mismatch is a bigger contributor. This is a rough explanation and one of our leaders can probably say it better.
agree, you said it better than me !

I tried to run a Max Wedge cross ram on standard port heads years ago. It worked for a few miles then it didn't! I then looked at the parts and realized why it wouldn't work. Guess I just had to do it the hard way first..........
----------here ----------

Old Kimmer, PM me if you would be interested in some spare parts for your stage VI's. I have a complete ported pair with port matched spacers, Hughes Valley Plate and a 4150 M1 intake. I was getting them freshened up because the valve stem seals were leaking when it was discovered that one head has a tiny crack by the valve seat that looks to be fixable. Instead of fixing it though, I decided to go with the new TrickFlow 270's as the Stage VI's are a smidge small for my 528" Springs are Isky Tool Room good to .650 and valves are all Ferrea. Rockers are Crane Gold. I also have a 4500 M1 intake that has been re-drilled and machined to accommodate a 4150 base carb.

Old Kimmer, PM me if you would be interested in some spare parts for your stage VI's. I have a complete ported pair with port matched spacers, Hughes Valley Plate and a 4150 M1 intake. I was getting them freshened up because the valve stem seals were leaking when it was discovered that one head has a tiny crack by the valve seat that looks to be fixable. Instead of fixing it though, I decided to go with the new TrickFlow 270's as the Stage VI's are a smidge small for my 528" Springs are Isky Tool Room good to .650 and valves are all Ferrea. Rockers are Crane Gold. I also have a 4500 M1 intake that has been re-drilled and machined to accommodate a 4150 base carb.
==============================================================
you got a pic of that intake available ?

==============================================================
you got a pic of that intake available ?
I can post a pic a little later as I don't have one handy. Oldkimmer has already contacted me so I will post it when taking photos on Sunday per our arrangement.

-
Back