Maximum Lash Ramp Rate?

-

nm9stheham

Reaction score
Just looking for data points here. The question is what is the maximum acceptable lash closure rate rate (or lobe velocity) for when a solid lifter lash is taken up on the valve opening. This would also the rate for when the valve closes.) This would be measured in inches per degree.

I have a reference here that says up to .001" per degree is OK. How to Determine Lash

And if you care to know, I am having some fits with some hydraulic lifters on another engine, and am thinking of putting solids in. I have profiled the cam in detail, and know the lobe velocity in detail. So I think I am fine (it is an old cam design with slooow initial and final ramps), but am just looking for any other data points on this. Tnx.

Last edited:
Just looking for data points here. The question is what is the maximum acceptable lash closure rate rate (or lobe velocity) for when a solid lifter lash is taken up on the valve opening. This would also the rate for when the valve closes.) This would be measured in inches per degree.

I have a reference here that says up to .001" degree is OK. How to Determine Lash

And if you care to know, I am having some fits with some hydraulic lifters on another engine, and am thinking of putting solids in. I have profiled the cam in detail, and know the lobe velocity in detail. So I think I am fine (it is an old cam design with slooow initial and final ramps), but am just looking for any other data points on this. Tnx.

I went threw 3 sets of lifters back and forth with Summit Racing who was way cool about the matter. The last set had 9 of the Hyd. lifters that would not budge, like they were a solid lift.
I took them apart, reseated the internal spring and they now work fine.

That is a lot to put up with RF! That is poor manufacturing work.

Yeah, the problems seem to be getting gradually worse. The hydraulics I have are showing excessive leak-down on some of them. You stop the engine, wait 5 minutes and 1-2 of them will leak down all the way if they stopped with their valve open. And 1 of those will not pump up.

They are regrinds on the bodies, which I have no problem with, but I think whoever is doing them is not properly matching the plunger OD to the body ID at re-assembly. That clearance is all over the map from .0001" to .0010" or a bit more, out of a set of 8. I found an old book reference where they talked about sorting the plungers into size bins by plunger OD, and then matching the plunger and body to keep a clearance around .0003". It is on page 87 here: Big-Block Chevy Performance

So that is the frustration. I think that a lot of the knowledge in these parts has been lost or thrown out as time has gone by and the prior generation of manufacturers has departed the scene.

-
Back