Maxjax lift opinions

-

meathead66

Mod Top
Reaction score
Looking at this lift cause it's the only one that will fit. Anyone have one or opinions? Everything I've looked at have the columns too high. I would much rather prefer one a bit more on the heavier duty side though. Getting too old for creepers.
Dannmar MaxJax Lifts 1375659

They could be ok but I don't trust side-lift hoists unless they have a bar across the top. Without it they rely soley on the floor anchors.
Used one of these small, portable 4 corner hoists just the other day, it worked great and seemed very stable.
Space is the question I guess... and my problem too at home. Never enough shop space!
NSS-8XLT 8,000 lb Service Storage Four Post Automotive Lift

Looking at this lift cause it's the only one that will fit. Anyone have one or opinions? Everything I've looked at have the columns too high. I would much rather prefer one a bit more on the heavier duty side though. Getting too old for creepers.
With the short posts do you have enough room to fully raise a car on it? If not, it still puts you in a awkward hunched over working position under the car where it's hard to gain leverage.

I Have one, no issues, It is made for lower ceiling clearances. So in saying that, yes you will have the car not at a height to stand under thats a given. But All I wanted was for brakes, motor install from under the car ETC.
Those lifts with the "bar across the top", that bar isn't for support of the two lift columns, it would never support the structure. That is not the intent of the design. The "bar" hold lift cables in most cares, hose, and or elect. supply.

I was looking at them too.
But I think I'd have to mount them on a plate, cuz I have in-floor heat, and I don't know where the piping exactly is, so not willing to take a chance with the long bolts. Up here they are around $2500, but I have seen them on sale for 2200. I think they would be high enough for all the work I need to do, want to do, am willing to still do,lol.
They have a great video!

NSS-8XLT 8,000 lb Service Storage Four Post Automotive Lift

I realize I won't be able to fully stand up as it's only got a 4 ft rise. Kinda expected to roll around sitting on a stool. With that 4 post one it doesn't look like you can do any brake, tire or rear end work. Plus the scissor type leaves you unable to pull a trans.
Not only that it can be taken down and moved out of the way plus I expect to move in about a year and don't want to leave it behind.

I realize I won't be able to fully stand up as it's only got a 4 ft rise. Kinda expected to roll around sitting on a stool. With that 4 post one it doesn't look like you can do any brake, tire or rear end work. Plus the scissor type leaves you unable to pull a trans.
Not only that it can be taken down and moved out of the way plus I expect to move in about a year and don't want to leave it behind.

Those are all good points. My shop is also very small, and I like the idea that I can have several anchor points. I do motorsports work so If I had those, I'm sure they would be very handy.
So I'm following this thread with much interest.

Yes indeed, you have to jack from either ramp or use a trans jack... or both depending on what yer doing.
Just putting some options out there.
Cheers.

Have you seen the C-7000? Its built with very heavy duty components, the arms are even from the 11000lbs model.

I have had a MaxJax for over 3 years now and it's the single best tool I have ever bought.I have lifted everything from a Subaru Forester to a 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 Quad cab hemi without any trouble at all.I put flat face zero loss skidsteer QD's and extended hoses on it.This makes it so much easier to get the pump out of the way.I also had a set of longer pins made so it can lift up high enough for me to get under the vehicle in my wheelchair.I will say that it is most important to spend the extra money on the epoxy anchor kit and use the right epoxy(you will need more than they send).The fact that it is movable is fantastic in my garage...should have built it bigger :( .Fantastic tool and you can't beat the price...the new MX6 is an improvement and I must say the C7000 is a very nice looking piece.

DSCN1809.JPG

DSCN1736.JPG

DSCN1735.JPG

DSCN1528.JPG

Ive had a max jax for over 8 years now. Its a great tool. One of the best features is that I can move it to different widths by buying extra floor mounting hardware. Its very easy to move and put away. the wheels on the back of the posts make it easy to roll. I also extended my hose to allow the pump to be moved farther away and create space. Ive used it to install the trans in my corvette and the motor and trans in my dart. Also for my lawn mower and other cars. I highly endorse these!
Rod

But I think I'd have to mount them on a plate,

You would need more than a plate, because you would need front rear as well as side to side tipping forces. My old 2 post is outside. I made an "H" frame out of heavy 2x6 tube, l with added 2" tube triangular braces, which are overkill. They did not need to be that large. The center supports are a PAIR of 2x6 tubes, and even then with the 3/4 or Dakota, the posts "move" in at the top. On the pickups, I use a brace across between the two, hooks to the two carriages
Below, the tubing that will be the center supports
8xs9wg.jpg

Below, half the frame just before erecting. Come-a-long to the radio tower, "gin pole" style
2ds47zq.jpg

Next two below, the upper and lower triangular brace anchors
2ry6jwz.jpg

2wm4e2u.jpg

Below, this is anchor, one on each side on the carriages for a cross brace on the pickups. Keeps posts from "creeping" inwards
34gwrqe.jpg

Last two, "in the air" and a view of the base. Identical "U" to make the "H" comes out forwared
174spv.jpg

ejzsiu.jpg

THIS IS THE BEST MONEY I EVER SPENT!!! Regardless of not having a shop

-
Back