May have really found my new daily driver

-

moparmat2000

Reaction score
Awhile back I posted about the ford bronco as a daily driver being I could get a base model with stick shift. $28k was the buy in on that. My current daily driver is a 2008 chevy HHR LS 5 speed. I just found out about a compact hybrid unibody pickup that ford will begin selling in the fall. Called the Maverick, its base drivetrain is a 2.5L gas engine with hybrid transaxle that's been used in the ford escape for a few years. Base model XL decently equipped is $20K , then theres the XLT and Lariat packages. The hybrid will haul up to $1500 lbs in the bed, and can pull up to 2000 lbs behind it. The 2.0 turbo ecoboost is available in 4wd and can pull up to 4000 lbs. I'm looking at the hybrid since I have a full size pickup to pull larger stuff, but this should pull a small boat trailer or pop up tent trailer just fine. An optional 400W AC power port is available to plug into for power tools. I been playing with the option sheets, and it's looking like the XLT has the best bang for the buck at $25K. The XL you cannot get cruise control. I use that a lot, so to get it, i would need to step into the XLT to get it. Full size spare tire is also available as an option, or with certain packages.

Screenshot_20210915-060536_Samsung Internet.jpg

2022-Ford-Maverick-compact-pickup-truck-51.jpg

2022-Ford-Maverick-compact-pickup-truck-37.jpg

I have read and seen quite a bit about this "Maverick" The concept is interesting and right up the GREEN agenda automakers are being steered towards. I just can't wrap my brain around how or WHY Ford would use that name for a TRUCK!! This is the ONLY Maverick in my book..
1972-ford-maverick-grabber-factory-v8-no-hidden-reserve-11.jpg

I believe this is the first serious competition for the honda ridgeline.

I wish FCA (or whatever) would make one like that based on the current Jeep Renegade.

I'm loving the headroom (what sold me), the power (better power to weight than a V8 Duster), the fun factor (multi-air turbo and six speed manual), and the MPG (35 average in mixed driving) of my 2015 Renegade, but I'd LOVE a functional truck bed.

I also installed the factory trailer hitch (not available with 1.4T/manual combo in the US, but is in Europe) and despite being rated for "only" 2000 lbs (curiously,it's a class III receiver), I've pulled my $4200# Dakota with it.

Last edited:
Looks like it does take some design cues from the Bronco. Doesn’t seem like it’s priced to crazy compared to other stuff. The F150 hybrid eco boost has some crazy torque numbers like 700ftlbs 450 hp. It is rated at 12000lbs. 35mpg is prettty cool too.

Consensus says not to buy a car in its first year.
Proceed with caution.

Been there. Done that. '83 first convertible Mustang since '73 and first models with the 3.8 V-6. 9 months old and it's using a quart of oil per week :eek:. "Didn't you get the notice from MoFoCo? We need to replace the valve stem seals." I didn't argue with them and let them have it for 2 days. For cryin' out loud, that 3.8 was just a chopped off Windsor motor and they had been using 221-351Ws since what? '62? 2 less cylinders, let's go cheap on the 20 year old successful valve seals :BangHead:. The purchase did have one plus. 2 years later the salesman calls me up "I think we might have something here you want to test drive". '85 Mustang SVO :steering:made their 5.0 GTs feel like my V-6 . No, I did not trade the wife's prized rag top off for the SVO, she had no experience in the manual transmission department :lol:

Gonna wait till at least 2023. Gonna research the warranty on that hybrid battery as well.

Last edited:
I have read and seen quite a bit about this "Maverick" The concept is interesting and right up the GREEN agenda automakers are being steered towards. I just can't wrap my brain around how or WHY Ford would use that name for a TRUCK!! This is the ONLY Maverick in my book..
View attachment 1715790872
It's about like an automaker using "Charger" for a four door.

Awhile back I posted about the ford bronco as a daily driver being I could get a base model with stick shift. $28k was the buy in on that. My current daily driver is a 2008 chevy HHR LS 5 speed. I just found out about a compact hybrid unibody pickup that ford will begin selling in the fall. Called the Maverick, its base drivetrain is a 2.5L gas engine with hybrid transaxle that's been used in the ford escape for a few years. Base model XL decently equipped is $20K , then theres the XLT and Lariat packages. The hybrid will haul up to $1500 lbs in the bed, and can pull up to 2000 lbs behind it. The 2.0 turbo ecoboost is available in 4wd and can pull up to 4000 lbs. I'm looking at the hybrid since I have a full size pickup to pull larger stuff, but this should pull a small boat trailer or pop up tent trailer just fine. An optional 400W AC power port is available to plug into for power tools. I been playing with the option sheets, and it's looking like the XLT has the best bang for the buck at $25K. The XL you cannot get cruise control. I use that a lot, so to get it, i would need to step into the XLT to get it. Full size spare tire is also available as an option, or with certain packages.

View attachment 1715790863

View attachment 1715790864

View attachment 1715790865
The way Ford is recycling names, can the new ‘Model T’ Ford pickup truck be far away?

For a crowd that drives some of the earliest full line uni-body cars, including station wagons...

...and I also thought of the Rampage.

Those ridgelines are really nothing to sneeze at if you don't need to haul beds full of rock or tow full size cars cross country.

I'm actually glad people are starting to see the advantages and capabilities, and that at least one US automaker is offering competition.

My 2015, first year Renegade has been pretty darn solid up to 75,000 miles.

Biggest issue has been a false "license light out" warning that I can't get to go away.

The 1.4t/six speed manual drive train was also used in the Dart Rallye, so it was vetted before the first year renegade.

Ridgeline is great until you see the pricetag, and the fact that if its loaded up and you get a flat you have to unload the bed to get to the spare tire. It's not mounted underneath. Still, I wont buy a japanese car, even if they have factories here. I just cant wrap my head around owning one. Maverick trips all the switches in my brain for what I need. Been option checking on their website. Looked into the hybrid battery thing, not too keen on that now. EcoBoost seems to be the way to go. Lariat without any extras except the weather tech type high sided floor mats for $135 it comes in at a tick over $28k they have a luxury package for it, but I don't need heated steering wheel, heated seats, plus a bunch of electronic nanny's. They have a spray in bedliner $450 available at the factory, but I prefer to have my local guy do an Armorthane liner, because it's less expensive, and he sprays it on thicker, plus it helps the local guy.

Last edited:
For a crowd that drives some of the earliest full line uni-body cars, including station wagons...

...and I also thought of the Rampage.

Those ridgelines are really nothing to sneeze at if you don't need to haul beds full of rock or tow full size cars cross country.

I'm actually glad people are starting to see the advantages and capabilities, and that at least one US automaker is offering competition.

My 2015, first year Renegade has been pretty darn solid up to 75,000 miles.

Biggest issue has been a false "license light out" warning that I can't get to go away.

The 1.4t/six speed manual drive train was also used in the Dart Rallye, so it was vetted before the first year renegade.

so what you're saying is, the ridgeline is a great truck, as long as all you need is a car?

I'm saying the unibody truck concept is just as valid as the "SUV/CUV" concept if you need a station wagon but don't want to call it that.

A car with a pickup bed has been done before, but not as a 4 door.

-
Back