Measuring Clutch Departure?

-

694spd

Reaction score
I'm assuming this is done with feeler gauges and is measured with someone pushing the clutch pedal all the way down.
Also is the measurement taken between the disc and the flywheel or disc and the pressure plate? Does it matter which one?

PITA.

One inch of pedal trave is ABOUT .060 gap. If you need a bit more plate departure (depends mostly on what disc you have) add a bit of free play.

I haven't stuck a feeler gauge up there since about 1983.

If you can stick it in reverse without clashing, then you have enough.
If it makes funny noises, when you depress the pedal,then, either you're pressing it down too far, or you have too much. In between those two, anything is ok. You only have to press the pedal down far enough to make a quick shift. If the shift is slow, the disc may not be slowing down properly, push down a little more. If you can't stuff it into first at a dead stop, it may be because the disc has already stopped spinning and the clutching teeth are butted up. Or more likely, the disc is dragging on the flywheel. Try it into reverse; the answer will be instant clash if the disc is dragging.
If everything is running straight and true, then you don't need hardly any departure. I run about 1/2 inch freeplay, and only press far enough to make the shift, and a little more going into reverse.
If you're running a 3400 B&B, well, you'll be real glad when it comes time to ditch it, and you replace it with a diaphragm.

Last edited:
PITA...……...
Totally agree. A real PITA.

Then too, IMO, there are instances where it is advantageous to measure and actually know what clearance you have around the plate. Here just may be a one of them...…....

Giving Up?

Everyone knows the saying "just because it's new doesn't mean it's good".

I got burned on a mis adjusted clutch. The disc was releasing and the pedal free play was good but the throw out bearing was riding on the pressure plate fingers all the time. The bearing failed and tore up the fingers. I always check the bearing to finger gap and adjust accordingly.

-
Back