Mechanical fuel pump

-

Joel Chapman

Reaction score
Ran across a 12-383 Holley fuel pump for sale. It says it has a 60 GPH, has any one used one before? Are the worth using over a stock 318 in a 71 dart? If it matters will be swapping intake and card from 2 barrel to 4 here soon. Thank you in advance.

No.
However it will introduce headaches with the car's electrical system.

Ran across a 12-383 Holley fuel pump for sale. It says it has a 60 GPH, has any one used one before? Are the worth using over a stock 318 in a 71 dart? If it matters will be swapping intake and card from 2 barrel to 4 here soon. Thank you in advance.
No.
However it will introduce headaches with the car's electrical system.
I believe it's a mechanical pump. You don't need it even with a 4 barrel.

Like @Mattax said, it will be good.

If you're going to an Edelbrock carburetor, an original mechanical pump may put out too much pressure. Mine did, so I added a regulator and gauge to bring it down to 5 psi.

I thought so. LOL
I can't find a 12-383 on their website. Looking in their 2014 catalog now.
There's an 12-838. It's not particular good by the specs. Reminds me of their Chrome fuel pump which also had a high cutoff pressure and unimpressive capacity.
The 110 pump (p/n 12-360) has lower cutoff pressure - or at least used to. I never put it past any company to change something but not change the public part number. Grrrr.

Yes. Stock pump should be fine. Hopefully you won't need to put a regulator on it. Make sure you mount the filter with the outlet higher than the inlet when you change the carb line for the 4 bbl. That will help.

Thats part of the reason why I posted. I goggled it too but nothing came up.
Probably an old number but still, completely unnecessary with your combination. If you were running a 4-500 horse race engine then may be yes but then the rest of your fuel system would have to be updated as well.

4C49B1C4-0E0B-435E-8804-3A51C586E804.jpeg

4D8A9304-94A5-4C02-A667-B1546DE46E71.jpeg

Oh yea. That was the first pump on my Barracuda's first 340.
Sent it to Ryan Brown with a couple of others for testing.
Mechanical Fuel Delivery for Mopar LA Engines

The problems I had with that ca's fuel system were mostly in the line. Think it was a small weak spot above the axle.
Still ran 14s at the track but was having trouble get through the lights. Put a fuel pressure gage on it and pressure was going to near zero halfway down the track.
If the car had been geared for the strip so that it would have been at 5500 through the lights, probably would not have got away with it.
New line and the Holley 110 pump went on about the same time. I was back in school and had no time for track testing at that point. Not even much autocrossing, if any.

disregard, If I were to run a mechanical pump it would be a clocked style that can be unbolted and serviced. Someone gave me one years ago said it didnt work. I pulled it apart and one of the 3 check valves popped out of its socket. I tapped it back in and it was like new.

-
Back