Mecum Thursday, Another Duster goes for big bucks

-

340wedge

Reaction score
$73,700.00!

Screenshot 2023-01-12 11.48.00 PM.png

Light modded?

With wrong year hood scoop and old wide lipped repop quarter panels. :realcrazy:

What are you guys talking about.. #'s matching 340 4speed in the right color with factory wing ect. Nova's are selling for 80,000. Don't you think a 340 Duster is as good as a 350 Nova? No it's better!

Now for the real question....

How much in parts, labor, paint did the seller have in the car?

$70,000???

What are you guys talking about.. #'s matching 340 4speed in the right color with factory wing ect. Nova's are selling for 80,000. Don't you think a 340 Duster is as good as a 350 Nova? No it's better!
Is it better than a Nova? Sure it is! Is it worth $73,700? Not in my opinion. We disagree on what the thing is worth, but at least I'm not enough of a dick to give you a big red X because of it. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

Light modded?

With wrong year hood scoop and old wide lipped repop quarter panels. :realcrazy:
Decals in the wrong positions, no rubber between the rear bumper and tail panel, something looks off about the upper radiator support and there are no cutouts for the hood pins that would be on 1971 fenders, Just a few observations.

Anything over the price of scrap is SALESMANSHIP!!!

Yea I am proud to see some deserving Mopars bring big $$$$.
It is entertainment, a big car show I can watch from my big chair. It will reeinforce the idiot asking prices for Dusters yet more!!!

Just this morning I was watching yesterdays episode I recorded, A Woodie get final bid of like $110,000 and the dude can not get the hood to close (without boogering it!). haha

In the late '90's My Bud worked with another well-known body guy, top notch stuff, awards etc. A customer wanted to save a '68 Firebird, no Ram-Air option gold here, it was in bad shape. Before a complete 1st gen F-body was a reality, many structural parts were hand made/fabbed, they tried to talk Him out of it but He insisted. When it was over the body & paint alone cost $48K, put that in current Dollars, then add interior/upholstery, drivetrain, lamps, trim, etc. & figure a today total. Just sayin'.

Now go find another one that looks that nice. Better have deep pockets. Body work, parts and paint would be 20 to 25 grand alone. Hell I just came the grocery store and egg are $8.99 a dozen!

..real value...cost to build...market value?
You just need two guys that don't like to lose. Now if 10 dusters all sold in the 70's you could say
they are bringing around 70K

Very true. But it still costs a fortune to rebuilt a car and you never get it all back when you sell it.

Last night at the Mecum Auction a 1970 Hemi Daytona sold for $770,000! Then right behind it a 1970 Hemi Superbird sold for $775,000! A non-restored, all original Pink Panther AAR Cuda sold for $345,000! Crazy!

There is a difference in old Mopars. And when the well known TOP cars from big time private collections go up for bids in these auctions.....watch out!!!

They tell me the ultra top cars seldome go to aution..all private sale.

There is a difference in old Mopars. And when the well known TOP cars from big time private collections go up for bids in these auctions.....watch out!!!

Last night some guy whose name I can't remember had his entire collection on the auction block. The Daytona, Superbird and AAR Cuda I mentioned in my other post, plus hemi powered cudas & challengers, plus a couple of 440 Six-Pack powered challengers. He also had some Boss 429 Mustangs that went for big money, W30 Olds 4-4-2s, special edition Mustangs and Torinos, a couple of Shelbys. None went for under six figures. They were still running his cars across the block when I went to bed and he'd already racked up over $6 million in sales! All were non-reserve.

Last night some guy whose name I can't remember had his entire collection on the auction block. The Daytona, Superbird and AAR Cuda I mentioned in my other post, plus hemi powered cudas & challengers, plus a couple of 440 Six-Pack powered challengers. He also had some Boss 429 Mustangs that went for big money, W30 Olds 4-4-2s, special edition Mustangs and Torinos, a couple of Shelbys. None went for under six figures. They were still running his cars across the block when I went to bed and he'd already racked up over $6 million in sales! All were non-reserve.
That why they brought the big $$$. No reserve on some of the country's top Mopars! Offered at auction!

If only I had kept my 63 Econoline Window van, or my 70 something Bobcat. I could be a thousandare right now

It was just a matter of time with A-bodies. With B and E bodies going nuts on market value. A-bodies had nowhere to go but up.

C-bodies are a tale of two markets. The top of the line "Lettered car" concourse lawn gems. Or low demand boat anchors.

I'm betting the latter will be getting some love in near future.

JMO.

The beauty of the selling prices is it brings all our cars up in value.

The bad thing is it brings all our cars up in price (parts, rust buckets, donor cars, project cars etc)

Last edited:

The top cars and top quality should be able to stand on thier own. They don't need an auction.

BUT idiots at auctions sometimes pay more the top cars because the buyers don't know the detail differences that separate the upper quality and provenance cars.

-
Back