Mental Breakdown 73 340 4spd Dart Sport

-

J-MacsMopars

Shade Tree Vintage Auto on YouTube
Reaction score
Here is my numbers matching 1973 340 4spd Dart Sport. I have known about this car since Y2K and finally landed it. The car is complete and runs and drives. It is also a fairly unique car that was special ordered buy a guy that worked at the local Dodge dealership here in Logan, UT in late 1973. It was ordered kind of funny for who knows what reasons. It has the 340, 4spd, exhaust tips, and power disk brakes. Thats pretty much all the options on it. It is a V88 code stripe delete car as well. However, the orig owner opted for about the worst color combo you can get. I have yet to decide if it will go back to orig colors. Enough of the reading BS. Here are a few pictures.

Here is how it sat for many years;
stuff56071mod.jpg

stuff56073mod.jpg

stuff56072mod.jpg

Then one day, we pulled it out;

Thanks for your help Cris (fishbowl)

I brought the beast home and looked it over fairly well.
Morejunk029.jpg

Morejunk030.jpg

Morejunk027.jpg

Morejunk031.jpg

Morejunk032.jpg

Morejunk034.jpg

Morejunk035.jpg

The car need's 1/4's pretty bad. Lucky for me, I cut up a wrecked 74 360 Duster a few years ago that was nice.
9588587a.jpg

abcf352e.jpg

What inspection would be complete without just a little burn out??

Thanks for the video John (badart), glad you didn't get by any of the spiders that were in the car that day. :)

Yesterday, I loaded it on the trailer and took it for a bath;
IMG_3422.jpg

IMG_3424.jpg

IMG_3426.jpg

IMG_3429.jpg

Damn I love my beat up old Cummins.

Today, we (myself and Neil) started pulling it a part to get it ready to drive to peach days car show next month. Well, I found a few surprises and that is no longer the plan. There was a lot more rust in the floor than I had expected and a few other issues that need addressed before it becomes a driver.
IMG_3432.jpg

One of the MANY spider webs in the car
IMG_3434.jpg

IMG_3436.jpg

Surprise, big rust hole. How did that even happen?
IMG_3440.jpg

IMG_3442.jpg

Orig. miles
IMG_3443.jpg

Looks like I need a new headliner thanks to mold
IMG_3446.jpg

IMG_3447.jpg

IMG_3450.jpg

Not to bad
IMG_3452.jpg

The pass side was hit pretty hard at one point
IMG_3459.jpg

IMG_3463.jpg

IMG_3469.jpg

IMG_3471.jpg

Found part of a build sheet. Some *** hat sowed it into the seat.
IMG_3472.jpg

IMG_3479.jpg

Well, that floor looks bad
IMG_3477.jpg

IMG_3475.jpg

IMG_3515.jpg

IMG_3517.jpg

IMG_3530.jpg

Wait! What the hell is that?
IMG_3494.jpg

IMG_3506.jpg

I pulled a whols soaking wet sleeping bag and a pair of kids pants out of the 1/4
IMG_3511.jpg

I guess I know how that rust whole developed in that door jamb huh.
IMG_3519.jpg

Check out this untouched engine compartment
IMG_3492.jpg

IMG_3484.jpg

IMG_3482.jpg

IMG_3488.jpg

It's had a little bender at one time
IMG_3486.jpg

Well, it's pretty much ready to head to Johns for tear down.
IMG_3521.jpg

IMG_3523.jpg

IMG_3525.jpg

IMG_3527.jpg

IMG_3529.jpg

Drove it onto the trailer for the final time for a while :(
IMG_3532.jpg

IMG_3534.jpg

IMG_3536.jpg

IMG_3537.jpg

On the road out of town
IMG_3541.jpg

IMG_3539.jpg

It's about to begin. :)
IMG_3553.jpg

IMG_3555.jpg

I still can't figure out why there would be a sleeping bag behind that panel??????? Can't wait to start cutting on it Jeremy.

I am wondering how good she is under neath parking over grass is a no no.any pics of that area.Good luck keep us updated.

There was no grass under the car. Just in front of it and a few weeds and stuff to the side of it. From what I can see, it's not bad. But even though I have as much documentation on this car as I do and it is numbers matching. I am going to be doing some upgrades.

so what color was it exactly? A pale yellow with green tweed interior? Wash the pants and send them back to him....How many pie tins did you get?

Congrats man I like the car, and its options. Sorry to be the one to say it but,.....I bet you could find a body that is more solid and never been wrecked, and do a powertrain swap pretty easy.

Not sure of the color code as I have yet to get the fender tag and paperwork from the guy I got it from. But I hate the color. I am not sure what color it will be going. But it won't be that one.

As for a re-body. NO WAY! I am not into that. The car ruff, but not bad. Plus, check this out.
IMG_3481r.jpg

sale016r.jpg

Look at the build date. This is one ov the VERY last 340 cars ever built.

It looks like a Keeper J. But I hate to say it I kind of like the color.

Well, nothing much has been happening on the Dart just yet. However, I am going to go pick up a parts car here in just a few hours. We are picking up a 73 Dart Swinger that will be parts for my car, Johns 65 K.A. cuda, and probably spread a few parts to a few other people as well. I will get pics later.

I believe it was GY2. It is a nasty color. I think it will end up Blue or something. Thanks 383, I need a lot of luck with it. Did go get our parts car today. We're into it less than $300 and it is going to donate a lot of good parts to several other local A-bodies. Cant wait to start stripping it and putting the others back together.
lotsofjunk145.jpg

lotsofjunk148.jpg

lotsofjunk150.jpg

lotsofjunk169.jpg

lol. Well, we got it off the trailer and decided it was to hot at the moment to pull it apart. So we priced some parts online for neils car, did some work on it. Then he had to go milk and I didn't make it back out. So not one part came off yet. :) How was Golf?

Well, here's a few pictures from today. John and I got started on pulling the thing apart. I was kind of sad, drove the thing into the garage knowing it won't run again for a wile. Sad day. But When it does roar to life again, all hell will brake loose.
006.jpg

008.jpg

010.jpg

012.jpg

-
Back