Mercedes trans techs here?

-

pishta

I know I'm right....
Reaction score
W126 AUTO TRANS 1987ish. Sis has a 87 500 sec w/bad trans and was told its the broken accumulator piston under one of the round side covers held in with a snap ring. She's gonna give it to me if I can fix it. I think it's just a piece that I can replace with no pan drop with some luck getting it hooked?
s-l400.jpg

Was told it was common issue, she just has no way to work on it. Thanks!

Tech says it is accesable thru that round port but cant remember if there is enough space between the trany tunnel and accumulator cover to get it out without lowering the trany some.

Here's some more general info on typical seals/leaks on Mercedes transmissions..

Yeah, no thanks.....I gotta laugh when I see those with AMG Ground effects. My Swiss friend says those are mail trucks in Switzerland.

Thats a 4x4 (2) or squared version.... only 280 made for the world. Its actuall pretty cool

Update, its a 91 500SEC and the B2 piston may be broken or cocked in the bore. I guess Ill find out, that chassis may be the only one that can be done in car as its a little bigger than the 320. There was an update in 92-93 to a nylon bore instead of an aluminum piston in a steel bore.

That car may have some value... they were pretty sought after several years ago. Especially Blk/Blk !

Im going to look at it saturday. probably pull the pan and perhaps the cover if I can get to it. Its parked in an alley, not the best place to put it up on stands.
Its actually a 560SEC, they didnt make a 500SEC in 91...

Last edited:
Pishta I didn't look to see if it's covered, but there's a pirate outfit puts up the ATSG manuals:

Post 12 bottom of post...........

Auto trans stumper

F that thing. I could only get the car up about 4" above my nose where it was parked and I went under there and there was a huge CA only exhaust pipe no one told me about right under the side of the trans I was to work on and I didnt have the 18" extensions to get them loose, and the damn thing is an inch from the trans tunnel and no amount of leverage is going to move that tailshaft over 3" to "access the piston" with both motor mounts attached. So I drop the pan and valve bodies (2) and I see (backside only) that the B2 piston has already been replaced or upgraded to the plastic one that doesnt bind and break. I feel tension on the band, it still has the dogbone in place and there is manual piston movement So we put it all back together, get it started (runs fine after a charge) and there is nothing in the way of movement: forward, reverse or even a drag on the motor when anything is selected. Now the fluid we drained looked like motor oil (!) and we put it right back in just because we needed it moved ASAP, even reverse would have helped as we could have backed it out the alley and parked it on the street for 48 hours. I made sure the valve body went back on correctly, everything was cleaned with lint free towels, and I made sure the spool valve was connected to the sector shaft. Only thing I can think is lack of fluid (probably as we just put in what we got out, but didnt have time or extra fluid to top off) or maybe a check ball in the valve body was lost when I took it out? I never inverted it, I just layed it upright in a pan. You know for a "refined" car such as a Mercedes, that trans sure had a lot of yellow plastic inside. I remembered that car being alot nicer when I last saw it. It now has some rust issues under the paint on the hood, rims and some rust through spots at the rear window. Beach life was tough on the old girl. I told her to strip and flip the perfect interior and call the yard on the rest.

-
Back