Mexico....we have a problem.

-

Krooser

Building Chinese Free Engines since 1959...
Reaction score
One piston must have a seven inch stroke...kinda crooked, too.
IMG_20190825_210420412.jpg
IMG_20190825_210437114.jpg

Back when I was a motorcycle mechanic, there were some racy models with really short-skirted pistons out there, and a few of 'em came to me looking like that. I think Honda had an Nseries, and there were dirtbikes , and stroker kits, and what-not. I wouldda never expected to see that in a p-car

Well one is! You know something is broke when you can see a piston ring from the top!

It's a Gen III Hemi...2006.

Looks like an overly abused engine to me.
Not from what the PO told me... driving down the road and BANG it stopped. Seen it before on these and Jeep 4.0's, too. Was in a Ram 1500... junked the truck due to rust issues and miles (190K).

No big deal really... this block will be the basis for my new dirt track motor (after I get my small block going over the winter). Likely 13/14-1 on methanol, using a 5.7 or 6.1 crank, Eagle heads, Pankl rods, mild port work, sticking with the juice lifters (new Johnson-HyLift), Jones cam, likely some stiffer pushrods, Ritter intake... just want to see what a reasonably priced Gen III can do for HP and reliability for 20 laps at a time.

Last edited:
I'll get this apart this week (working all week sucks!).

I wouldn't have messed with this but I can't get the block on a stand with the convertor on it and it won't roll over. Can't get at two convertor/flywheel bolts. Could use a heat wrench I guess...

Ran a trip to Nebraska Thursday....got back home last evening. Got the cheater bar on the crank and I'm making progress...

I will say Ive never seen an engine have this much damage. Only drained about 1 1/2 qts of oil out of the pan.

It was an oiling issue that started it all. One rod got hot, the rod bearing melted and the rod broke. The windage tray prevented the rod from dropping into the pan so the crank hammered it to a million pieces.

A few more rods melted their bearings. The mains are perfect...no damage. I think the oil pump is damaged as the engine needs a breaker bar to turn over even without any pistons.

The cam bearings are likely junk, too.

I want to get the crank checked and have the rods ground to 1.888 Honda journals to fit the Pankl rods I have.

I’ll get the block cleaned and mag’d, maybe a .030 bore. Check the line bore, too.

If the cam is ok I’ll send it out to Mike Jones for a custom grind.

May have one set of my Ti valves modified to fit the Eagle heads I have. Bolt on a Ritter intake and use an MSD controller for use in my dirt late model.

Kinda stoked...still need to get my small block done, too.

-
Back