Mice...

-

moper

Reaction score
So I've had some issues with mice and my cars before. Not the usual making a mess, eating stuffing and headliners, stinking the cars up.. that I consider part and parcel with older cars... I'm having other issues:
In the space of 8 hours mice filled the bell housing of my daily driver Neon with acorns, and when I started the car and moved it the cutch froze disengaged...
That was some years ago.
I've had them get into the air intake on my farm tractor.. .at least the air maze caught it before it got sucked in but the cleanout was not pleasant.
I now install grills on every hole and air intake on the vehicles.
So now, my daily driver LHS has a glitch. About 2 weeks ago I was driving and smelling popcorn, or something similar. Then it changed to burnt microwave popcorn. Now it's burnt popcorn and burnt coffee... The little bastards filled my muffler with acorns that only burn off when the load is enough to get the heat in the muffler up. Friday last week I thought I blew the engine due to the smoke that all of a sudden began to billow from the car during the ride home (80mph, left lane, 3mile slight uphill...). I've got an emission test on Friday for it. What are the odds it passes??!!!
Little bastards!

I poison the hell out of my whole property about 1-2x per year. works for me.

I have gotten some killer deals on cars with Rat and Mice damage. Those pricks can sure do some damage, and fast! Good luck.

It does sound like chipmunks, as mice don't give a damn about acorns and stuff like that.

yea - acorns= not mice. You'll need a small firearm - .22 (as long as you have cool neighbors) or a good pellet gun (quieter).. a few beers (optional) and let the little f$%^kers have it. Decon works of course, but you may have nasty odors emanating from inside your walls etc. in short order where they have gone and died...

mothballs for chipmunks. I used to have a ton of them around the yard. I dropped a couple of mothballs down each hole and haven't seen one for a couple of years now.

Moles will find their way into "have a heart" mouse traps - use peanut butter to attract them. I once caught two in the same trap - it is the type with a window on top - they fought like hell until one died - then I killed the other one - cat food, drowning, starvation - whatever - :D
What to you use? I've been battling Moles for years here.

this works really good for mice and rats

no danger of kids or pets ingesting the poison

Attachments

• tomcat.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 302
Be careful of using decon indiscriminately, what it does to rodents it will also do to domestic pets. I expect other types of poison will do the same. Be sure that your target is all you hit, whether with lead or chemicals.
I like the trapping idea, but the little buggers aren't worth all the time it takes to mess around with that.
They need to die on contact. or better yet thought.

Trick I learned working car dealership service departments - scented dryer sheets. Tie a couple of them up in the engine bay away from a heat source (exhaust) and next to the exhaust opening (not in the flow, and not against the pipe, just near it.) Use poison/traps around your property also, but the scented dryer sheets will keep them out of the car - they don't like the smell.

I fill the cars awith drier sheets a few times a year. I own two cats, both good mouser/chipmunk-er/squirrelers. I'm not using poison because of the cats and horses. It might be chipmunks. The cats kill tens of them a year, but I've never seen them up in the cars. Only mice in the cars and (my) mice love acorns... I find the remains everywhere with mouse droppings.

so - they're a little harder to hit - but I would still use my method... :D
:twisted:
I fill the cars awith drier sheets a few times a year. I own two cats, both good mouser/chipmunk-er/squirrelers. I'm not using poison because of the cats and horses. It might be chipmunks. The cats kill tens of them a year, but I've never seen them up in the cars. Only mice in the cars and (my) mice love acorns... I find the remains everywhere with mouse droppings.

Dont tell everyone the dryer sheet trick, I wont get anymore good deals on mice chewed cars if it gets out! LOL

this works really good for mice and rats

no danger of kids or pets ingesting the poison

No where's the fun in that?

Another trick that works is to take a cotton ball and put peppermint oil on it and set the cotton ball on a bottle cap, etc. It burns and irritates the mouse's nose and respiratory system. In the spring your car has a slightly pleasant fresh smell.

Dont tell everyone the dryer sheet trick, I wont get anymore good deals on mice chewed cars if it gets out! LOL

LOL! Yeah, I wonder how many you got that just needed a simple wiring fix for plug wires, sensor wires or the like. I watched customers dump thousands into their cars for wiring and hvac repairs from this, I would try to help them out any time I could - I even had a guy buy a new hvac housing for an almost new Honda Civic because there had been a nest in the hvac fan - we had cleaned everything out and fixed what needed fixed, and he insisted on buying a whole new assembly for it because he was so disgusted.

LOL! Yeah, I wonder how many you got that just needed a simple wiring fix for plug wires, sensor wires or the like. I watched customers dump thousands into their cars for wiring and hvac repairs from this, I would try to help them out any time I could - I even had a guy buy a new hvac housing for an almost new Honda Civic because there had been a nest in the hvac fan - we had cleaned everything out and fixed what needed fixed, and he insisted on buying a whole new assembly for it because he was so disgusted.
For me, by far the easiest to fix, wiring issues. Those things get into everything! Got a 2013 Dart Rt with blue, black int. 5k on the clock, insurance company totaled it because of mice problems, chewed the underhood harness, and other things. Long story short, I made 6k on that car!

Put the cats out there with the car. Sounds more like chipmunks or squirrels. The cats will solve it, unless they are spoiled worthless sacks of fur like some of ours.

Trouble with having cats around is they like to walk on your car leaving paw and claw scratches in the paint.

There are always drawbacks. Everything's a compromise. You just gotta decide how much you're willin to put up with.

-
Back