Mild 440 break in springs?

-

NoahSewal

Reaction score
Hey guys i had a flat tappet cam fail on me last weekend and i decided to give it another shot. i was wondering what springs people have ran for similar setups as mine for cam break in. .507 Lift On stock heads. the kit i got had single springs that came with it. maybe those are fine for break in? ill link the kit as well. i just don't want any more eaten lifters!
Big Mutha' Thumpr 243/257 Hydraulic Flat Cam K-Kit for Chrysler 383-440

I'd bet old Hemi springs, aka 933's or "green stripes" without the damper are a decent choice....I'm sure jillions of cams have been broken in on them.

If the springs that came with the cam are singles with a damper, they'll be fine to break the cam in with. I thought we had settled this already.

Last edited:
I've been using an old set of factory red Magnums for the last few hyd and solid flat tappet cam break-ins on my test stand and there have been no issues. Of course I even use used head gaskets for break-in and testing. I like to to tear down and inspect after first run-in and then re-assemble with the new gaskets and actual springs and run one more time on the stand for a bit before I install in the car, but maybe that's just me.

Do not use 'new' lifters! According to Mike Jones, aka CamKing, only one company is making FT lifters in the US & they are very expensive. I am not sure if they make Mopar lifters. The rest are 'imported', made of pure crap-anium.

Get some 25+ yr old lifters & have them re-faced; break in properly, no failures. I read on another forum a well known engine builder buys up old lifters whenever he can, for re-facing....

I've also never in my life removed inner springs on dual spring setups when breaking in. Now, that said, if I just HAD to use today's crappy lifters, I probably would.

Do not use 'new' lifters! According to Mike Jones, aka CamKing, only one company is making FT lifters in the US & they are very expensive. I am not sure if they make Mopar lifters. The rest are 'imported', made of pure crap-anium.

Get some 25+ yr old lifters & have them re-faced; break in properly, no failures. I read on another forum a well known engine builder buys up old lifters whenever he can, for re-facing....
440n source has a set of "johnson" lifters and they claim they're american made. You figure those would be any good?

Get yourself a set of Rhoads v max, you won't be disappointed.

Are the lifters American made....or the box they come in. I do not know.

What I do know: Mike Jones aka CamKing recently stated that there is [a] only one company making FT lifters in the US & they are veeeeeery expensive. Check out on the SpeedTalk Forum.
So unless the lifters are expensive, I would doubt they are US made.

What I do know: Mike Jones aka CamKing recently stated that there is [a] only one company making FT lifters in the US & they are veeeeeery expensive. Check out on the SpeedTalk Forum.

I think you just need to shut up. See post 12.

Rhoads lifters are American made. The best hyd lifter made, period

If someone with better computer skills than me can link this post, that would be great...
June 29 on Speedtalk.com, headed: 'Lifter manufacturers & who are they'.
Reply from CamKing who owns the forum & has been cam grinding for 40yrs:
'There is only one lifter manufacturer that still makes FT lifters in the US.....these lifters are now more than twice as expensive as the imports....

And you think that because C. Smith says his lifters are made in the USA that is gospel??

And you think that because C. Smith says his lifters are made in the USA that is gospel??
lol. You're hilarious. I still like you though man.

Well, I'd like to think we are friends...
There is a beer in the fridge if you are ever in town.....

Well, I'd like to think we are friends...
There is a beer in the fridge if you are ever in town.....
There's nothing on here we've not discussed that we wouldn't end up laughing about over a beer or three. I guarantee.

-
Back