Milodon oil pan fit

-

74 360 dart sport

Reaction score
Hello everyone does anybody have a milodon 697-30940 8qt 360 small block mopar oil pan I have a 74 dodge dart sport 360 I was wondering how it fits are there any clearance issue or is there any modifications needed for the pan to fit k member ect. Thank you in advance

Oh, and depending on which headers and starters used, there can be clearance issues.

I have the 7 qt, with TTI’s and a power master mini starter fits perfect. My buddy tried to use the 8 qt, with TTI’s and mini. We had to notch the K, and the headers were a no go. Ended up using different flow tech headers, which drag on the ground…

Oh, and depending on which headers and starters used, there can be clearance issues.

I have the 7 qt, with TTI’s and a power master mini starter fits perfect. My buddy tried to use the 8 qt, with TTI’s and mini. We had to notch the K, and the headers were a no go. Ended up using different flow tech headers, which drag on the ground…
I'm passing on the pan hearing this because I have tti headers and mini starter also

There are no issues with the Milodon 8 qt. pan except for notching a little "V" in just the lip of the K-frame on the passenger side to clear the front, right corner of the flared sump. Helps a lot when R&R the engine. Never had a problem with any mini-starters either. TTI headers do clear the pan but there are several other header brands that do not because of the flared sump. I believe Moroso 8 qt. pan clears TTI, but the pan is actually a little deeper/lower than Milodon and the drain plug is (or at least was years ago) on the bottom of the pan instead of the side/back. Ripped it out once when I dropped a tire off the paved edge of a return road.

The 8 quart pan with TTI headers, Mopar starter, all fit just fine. A small notch was needed at k frame near front right corner of pan.

I have a 8 qt in the Duster, made droppin the 340 a Real pain. That and the power brake booster kinda sucked....and the motor mount ear was racked pressing in poly.... I could go on....

My son is running one in his 1970 Duster (original 340 car) with an engine plate. He trimmed the lip off the k member and re-welded the seam.

Man you should give this a break. It’s getting old.
i dont know man, they choose to make an inferior product by keeping their manufacturing facility in a commie place that doesnt allow them to run their business like they give a crap...all while charging a premium for their product and labeling them as a "direct fit" even though that "direct fit" requires you to chop up your K member

kinda hard not to point all that out

The k member notch for the 8 qt has been around as long as I can remember. Not required in an B or E... I kinda forgot about that, till it hit the k in the A, lol. If I'd have foreseen that, I'd have got a 6 or 7 qt pan.... that would be fine for 6.5 or 7 k

I did some work on my buddy’s small block Chevy and he bought a Canton oil pan. Man was that thing nice. It was so nice I bought one for my 360 stroker. What a piece of JUNK!!! It was nowhere near as nice as the Chevy pan but I put it on with their pickup. 1.5 seconds into a run my oil pressure was dropping to 15 pounds or so. Thank God I caught it only because of my Racepak readout. It’s in my attic and I may fix it someday but don’t expect it to be perfect out of the box.

Bad design? Crap baffles?

It kinda reminds me of a 45 year old Moroso oil pan. Simple and not thought through. Not that a Milidon pan is fancy but they seem to keep the oil where it should be. To bad they went down to wrong road the last couple batches. I thought I would hear back from him but so far nothing.

Bad design? Crap baffles?

This is the company I will check out next.
318-340 / 360 Mopar

He’s my last email to Tom at Milidon

B897E9F9-9972-4E0C-944D-3A54F9E56E6B.png

And expect it to leak

I have three of them and have never had a leak. I had to section two of them to clear my Hedman headers. The only issue I've had (except the k member notch) is that it seems the bolt holes are racked and not square. I've had to use a rotary file on all of mine. My 340 had TTI headers and there were no issues with the oil pan. Also, I've ran Dakota starters on all three engines and had no issues either.

I bought/installed in 1999, the Milodon Roadrace pan with bump-outs ( I think that is the 940) on my 360 into a 68 Barracuda with a K-member from a 70 340, and with TTIs. And it fit either starter, and yes My car has power steering/power brakes that I installed out of a 73 Dart, and a 4-speed
The notch that everyone is crying about, was laughably small, and was cut out of the flange only, and never welded. I did this with the engine hanging on the hoist, using a cutting torch. It probably slowed me down like two minutes. At a later date, as I was freshening the engine, I smoothed the cuts a lil.
But I gotta tell ya, that pan hangs about an inch below the K, and it was not long before I snagged it on something which cracked the factory weld. This with 1.03 bars and HD shocks. After I fixed that, I fabricated and installed a skidplate, with no more issues. So moral of the story is install a plate before you hit the road.
I would not run a pan any deeper, on the street, in a lowered A-body, and mine ain't even that low, being about 5.75 inches from the lowest part of the K to the road.

-
Back