Mini denso alternator from 92 dakota questions

-

moparmat2000

Reaction score
I got a mini denso alternator from a 92 Dakota V6 I parted out. I was wondering, is it internally regulated or not? If not how easy is it to put an internal regulator in it. I have saved it because I was thinking I could swap the pulley, swap in a built in regulator and install it on one of my projects.

Thanks
Matt

They list a voltage regulator for that truck, so probably not internally regulated. If you have all stock wiring, you might be concerned about putting a lot higher output alternator in.

I don’t think you can add an internal regulator in an alternator that was designed for external.

You wire them up just like an OEM A body. There are two field connections, so you ground one for the 69/ earlier regulator, or hook one to switched ignition for the 70/ later regulator

Then connect the remaining field to the VR. Matters not which is which. The one's I've see are nut/ stud connections.

I don't remember some of these may have a separate ground stud which must be grounded, maybe not.

None of these are internal. The VR was built into the PCM and by the way I found a website detailing how to use a 70/ later VR if the PCM one goes bad.

What would be the advantage to using one of these newer alternators versus an older one?
The engine mounting would have to be custom built for sure.
Lighter weight and better internals would be my guess, but could the factory wiring be adequate for it's output?

What would be the advantage to using one of these newer alternators versus an older one?
The engine mounting would have to be custom built for sure.
Lighter weight and better internals would be my guess, but could the factory wiring be adequate for it's output?

Most/ many of the newer design alternators output more power at lower RPM. I would guess they are more efficient as they are smaller and lighter

-
Back