Mini denso alternator from 92 dakota questions

Electrical and Ignition

1. moparmat2000

moparmat2000 FABO Gold Member FABO Gold Member

Local Time:
    7:07 PM
    I got a mini denso alternator from a 92 Dakota V6 I parted out. I was wondering, is it internally regulated or not? If not how easy is it to put an internal regulator in it. I have saved it because I was thinking I could swap the pulley, swap in a built in regulator and install it on one of my projects.

Thanks
    Matt

2. Professor Fate

Professor Fate Push the button, Max...

Local Time:
    I believe those were regulated by the PCM.

3. Mike69cuda

Mike69cuda 66 is the new 17 FABO Gold Member

Local Time:
    They list a voltage regulator for that truck, so probably not internally regulated. If you have all stock wiring, you might be concerned about putting a lot higher output alternator in.

I don’t think you can add an internal regulator in an alternator that was designed for external.

4. 67Dart273

67Dart273 FABO Gold Member FABO Gold Member

Local Time:
    5:07 PM
    You wire them up just like an OEM A body. There are two field connections, so you ground one for the 69/ earlier regulator, or hook one to switched ignition for the 70/ later regulator

Then connect the remaining field to the VR. Matters not which is which. The one's I've see are nut/ stud connections.

I don't remember some of these may have a separate ground stud which must be grounded, maybe not.

None of these are internal. The VR was built into the PCM and by the way I found a website detailing how to use a 70/ later VR if the PCM one goes bad.

5. Dartnut

Dartnut Don't hate me because i'm beautiful

Local Time:
    6:07 PM
    What would be the advantage to using one of these newer alternators versus an older one?
    The engine mounting would have to be custom built for sure.
    Lighter weight and better internals would be my guess, but could the factory wiring be adequate for it's output?

6. moparmat2000

moparmat2000 FABO Gold Member FABO Gold Member

Local Time:
    I plan on upgrading output wires size anyway and doing an ammeter bypass. It's a new M&H harness

• Like Like x 1
    • 67Dart273

67Dart273 FABO Gold Member FABO Gold Member

Local Time:
      5:07 PM
      Most/ many of the newer design alternators output more power at lower RPM. I would guess they are more efficient as they are smaller and lighter

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
      1. This site uses cookies to help personalize content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
        By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.