Mini starter connections

-

d55dave

Reaction score
It seems that later magnums used different connections. From what I gather they have the large threaded hot terminal, but the smaller terminal for the solenoid has a blade style of connector. These later ones seem to be more common now in my local wrecking yards. Has anyone tried one of these on a B, RB or LA engine? Are they the same other than the connector?

This is the style that I mean, it appears to be 1998 or 99 and newer.

Screenshot_20191023-225435_Chrome.jpg

If the base model is the same these are the connections. Everything else is connector that goes onto them. Several versions - all of which can be replaced. There's some on-line alternator parts suppliers if you need. One's called Alternator Starter parts and another is called Quick Start. Of course local builder is best.
upload_2019-10-23_18-18-50-png.png

Like this
upload_2019-10-24_8-15-7.png

upload_2019-10-24_8-15-49.png

Yea I’d actually use that instead and cut the wire with plug on the donor vehicles wire harness and splice that onto your car.

Yea I’d actually use that instead and cut the wire with plug on the donor vehicles wire harness and splice that onto your car.
Kind of what I was thinking. I dont beleive that there is a stud below it on this style, and that small stud is always difficult to get the nut on.

Kind of what I was thinking. I dont beleive that there is a stud below it on this style, and that small stud is always difficult to get the nut on.
Exactly what I was thinking. No more tools to install & remove that little wire. Just a simple weatherpak connector. How many times I have dropped that little nut and lost it!!

That's what I did with mine. I just cut the wire at the pick n pull and spliced it into my harness. It's been good for over 6 years.

I was a little more concerned about the motor connection and the brushes.
But again not any wear of convern AFAIK. Just a lot of carbon residue on the surface.
upload_2019-10-24_17-29-7.png

upload_2019-10-24_17-30-26.png

I had a starter crap out on my Dakota. I was thinking about pulling it apart but I just R&R'd a new one.

When I took a mini-starter from a Dodge truck, I took the whole cable to the battery, plus the cable which runs across the timing cover to the alternator. I put in my Dart, though the starter wire is a bit long. It also has several ground cables, which I ran to engine, body and radiator support, like they do in the trucks. I might move it to my 65 Chrysler when I go to a mini on it.

-
Back