mini starter?

-

phaelax

Reaction score
Old starter is going out and thought about an upgrade. Though I'd like to not spend a whole lot on just a starter. I've come across this one:

NEW MINI MOPAR DODGE PLYMOUTH STARTER SUPER TORQUE! 4379143,4379144,4379160

Reviews all seemed positive from a Charger forum. And I can't argue the price. Then there was this model for a bit more money (but lighter): Premium Light Weight High Torque Mini Starter-440 Source

After that, everything else I see is $150 or more. Anyone have experience with either of these? Good? Bad? Also, I'm running a 440.

Looks like the same as mine, just have to loose the terminal extensions (they unbolt), no problems so far.

IF you want one really cheap go look around for a new one in 94-up trucks and vans in your local junk yard. They are around $30-$40

I got a mini starter from local parts store for $60. Told them I wanted one for a 95 Dakota with 318. Bolted right on my old small block and works fine so far. Lottsa room around header tubes now

I got a mini starter from local parts store for $60. Told them I wanted one for a 95 Dakota with 318. Bolted right on my old small block and works fine so far. Lottsa room around header tubes now
I did the same thing. One for my 360 in my Dart and one in my 383 Chrysler. Works much better and half the size.

I got my mini-starter from 440Source years ago before actually installing it. Probably the same thing as the Dakota starter ;)
I had to use it anyway, because a full size starter would NOT go in with Hedman 78030 headers on a low-deck with iron heads. Cranks my 451 over just fine.

Ditto, but I might have paid $10 for a nice used one on half-off day at PickNPull. Also used the battery cables (Dodge Truck or Jeep GC, forget). You only have to change the factory starter in a SB or BB engine once before you go modern, after working that beast past the steering (in just the right clocking) and exhaust.

I got my mini-starter from 440Source years ago before actually installing it. Probably the same thing as the Dakota starter ;)
I had to use it anyway, because a full size starter would NOT go in with Hedman 78030 headers on a low-deck with iron heads. Cranks my 451 over just fine.
I had the opposite issue with mini on a b block and 78030 headers. It was a no go. Box store replacement was maybe an oddball or something.

Well, I did have to dent a tube for clearance to the rear of the motor housing. The other option that always works is the "clockable" RobbMc Starter but it's $300. Ouch.

I was surprised that a full-sized starter could not be wrestled in there even with the steering linkage dropped and the header loose, and I tried many positions... Especially since those headers were designed before the mini-starter even existed. Who knows. Anyhow, nothing we're not used to with big block A-bodies!

The manual steering is already so close to the headers on mine. I went ahead and ordered the one from DBElectrical on ebay (it was $3 cheaper than their website) Thanks all, sounds like this is a solid investment.

The manual steering is already so close to the headers on mine. I went ahead and ordered the one from DBElectrical on ebay (it was $3 cheaper than their website) Thanks all, sounds like this is a solid investment.

The only thing you'll miss is that telltale sound of the Mopar gear reduction starter. But that will quickly fade by how easy it is to get in and out and how quickly it turns over your engine!

Both of my Dusters have the Dakota mini starters. Direct bolt in. Turns them over so fast seems like 6 of the spark plugs are out.

Hope this question is not to dumb but a Mini Starter will work for a 904?

-
Back