Mini starter

-

dodgy

Reaction score
Hi all, I'm new to these mini starters, i have two here , yes one to take on long adventures as i don't trust the longevity of these cheap units, my question is about the drain hole in the solenoid side, the one mounted has the hole facing up, and the other has the hole on the bottom side, did they drill the hole in the mounted starter wrong? Wouldn't it just catch the water and other crud, should i block this hole and drill another hole on the bottom side?

View attachment 1715412637

20191023_215753.jpg

I would think that the tube needs to be down. The one pointed up must have to be mounted on the other side of the engine.

Hi all, I'm new to these mini starters, i have two here , yes one to take on long adventures as i don't trust the longevity of these cheap units, my question is about the drain hole in the solenoid side, the one mounted has the hole facing up, and the other has the hole on the bottom side, did they drill the hole in the mounted starter wrong? Wouldn't it just catch the water and other crud, should i block this hole and drill another hole on the bottom side?

View attachment 1715412637
The silver colored starter is upside down. They should be mounted this orientation.

mini starter.jpg

Some jeep starters were mounted on the passenger side?

Some jeep starters were mounted on the passenger side?
Thanks YY1 didn't know that, that would explain that hole but not the drain hole on the motor that is facing down .

`If it were me I would seal the hole facing up. I agree with you that it would collect moisture and road dirt. I wouldn't drill a hole in the other side unless your planing on driving trough flooded deep muddy water.

`If it were me I would seal the hole facing up. I agree with you that it would collect moisture and road dirt. I wouldn't drill a hole in the other side unless your planing on driving trough flooded deep muddy water.
Thanks, i wasn't sure if it was a drain hole or a vent or both, the motor housing has the drain tube so atleast it can still drain if any water ingress happens, its strange they put the two holes apposed on the one unit, the black starter has both holes to the bottom.

Thanks, i wasn't sure if it was a drain hole or a vent or both, the motor housing has the drain tube so atleast it can still drain if any water ingress happens, its strange they put the two holes apposed on the one unit, the black starter has both holes to the bottom.

Those are fresh air vents, not drains.
These starters are highly reliable just so you know.
They spin faster and work less doing it unlike the old tank style starter.:D

Mini Nippondenso design, they rarely break. Guys are removing crusty ones off magnum V8s in the junky and using them as is. I think the mini denso has become the standard of the industry. They even use them on Harley Davidson's and have for years.

Those are fresh air vents, not drains.
These starters are highly reliable just so you know.
They spin faster and work less doing it unlike the old tank style starter.:D
Do you have yousr hooked up to an oxygen tank. That is a might small fresh air vent.

Do you have yousr hooked up to an oxygen tank. That is a might small fresh air vent.

LOL, no.
The spinning armature pulls the air through the housing.
Not trolling you or anyone else, just a conversation.
People that know me know better than that.:D

I made a slight mistake in my description of what the holes are.
The one on the solenoid housing is so the solenoid piston doesn't get air bound when it travels to engage the starter motor, and the one on the motor housing is the fresh air vent.
Sorry about that.

Mini Nippondenso design, they rarely break. Guys are removing crusty ones off magnum V8s in the junky and using them as is. I think the mini denso has become the standard of the industry. They even use them on Harley Davidson's and have for years.
I have several Harleys here and not one has a self contained gear drive starter remotely close to these Mini's. My son does motors for a harley dealers. And we own several.
Name does not relate to design. Unless its "Steve Kiss" then they are all the same, "Smart and good looking". I don't have a picture of me I can post. They are all X rated.

DSCN0730.JPG

DSCN0731.JPG

DSCN0926.JPG

DSCN0927.JPG

DSCN1112.JPG

DSCN1113.JPG

DSCN1427.JPG

Theses two i think are CE (Chinese excrement ) no markings on them and were cheap, i travel many kilometres from home in this car so i got two, I'd rather spend the 20 minutes changing out a bad starter than spending the 20 minutes on the phone locating one then the two to seven day wait on shipping. Just cheap insurance for me when traveling. Might never need it but like the comfort of knowing I have it.
Here is the engine it belongs to.

20190921_182507.jpg

Last edited:
Theses two i think are CE (Chinese excrement ) no markings on them and were cheap, i travel many kilometres from home in this car so i got two, I'd rather spend the 20 minutes changing out a bad starter than spending the 20 minutes on the phone locating one then the two to seven day wait on shipping. Just cheap insurance for me when traveling. Might never need it but like the comfort of knowing I have it.
Smart man. Very good idea. You should see the inside of the trailers we used to travel across country with. Parts , welder, compressor, And the most important is the Microwave, toaster oven and the foreman grill. 4 days at the tracks and 4 days on the road every two weeks . We had no time to be broke down when ever on the road for what ever type of racing. Leading in points meant being there. Drag racing was by far the most relaxing and the most fun. The people were all friendly and tow vehicle parts were readily available. Everyone had a Cummins or a Powerstroke

spoiler pics 792.jpg

steve 004.jpg

steve%20014[1].jpg

Sorry I beg to differ. Not trying to get into a pissing contest either so believe what you want, however i worked as an HD dealer mechanic back in the early to mid 90s The stock factory HD starters on new bikes when I was working there were made by Denso. They may not have their reduction gearing and mating flange casting exactly like a mopar denso, but they are a denso starter painted black wrinkle finish, and made for that specific application. Do you want a comprehensive list of Japanese parts that went into these bikes as assembled by the factory back then?

Last edited:
HD starter, data placard denso type. Your right Steve, name doesnt relate to design, unless it is the design made by the named manufacturer.

image_0b8ec2ee06fe5642b9565ec0844e68b62524269f.jpeg.jpg

Last edited:
I just picked up another denso magnum mini starter yesterday as mine had a damaged terminal. They are great starters and are incredibly reliable, light weight and much better for fitting in with tight headers.

I have noticed that some of the newer denso magnum starters have the large threaded stud, but instead of the smaller threaded stud they have a push on spade connector. Has anyone used one of these on a small or big block?

Sorry I beg to differ. Not trying to get into a pissing contest either so believe what you want, however i worked as an HD dealer mechanic back in the early to mid 90s The stock factory HD starters on new bikes when I was working there are a Denso. They may not have their reduction gearing and mating flange casting exactly like a mopar denso, but they are a denso starter painted black wrinkle finish, and made for that specific application. Do you want a comprehensive list of Japanese parts that went into these bikes as assembled by the factory back then?
My skid loader has a Denzo starter . You are comparing apples to oranges. My Tractor has a fomoco style relay but its backwards compared to the the fomoco style on my Duster. But the same as a Ford. Apples to Oranges? Some Steve's are smart and some are stupid. I don't know where I fall in that comparison. But When it comes to looks ? I look in the mirror and know dam well I'm the better looking one. LOL

No I am not comparing apples to oranges. You are. Especially by going off on a tangent about the FoMoCo starter relays. I was only saying in my first post that even Harley Davidsons use Denso starters as OEM parts because Denso has become the industry standard. I dont believe I even said a mopar denso could bolt onto a HD either, although I am willing to bet the solenoid contactor will. As my pic above shows, Denso starters are also OEM for stock factory built Harley Davidsons. I am sure they are built to a different specification as requested by HD from Denso. Now as far as looks go, I would say beauty is in the eye of the beholder, or beerholder. Whichever you choose it to be.

Now back to our regularly scheduled program. Factory mopar mini denso starters are really tough units. Your Chinese copies, its prob best to carry a spare, even if you never need it. Or better yet, see if somebody in the US or Canada can send you a mopar Denso. They only weigh 8 lbs so shipping shouldn't be too bad. Only thing that really wears out is the solenoid contactor, and eventually the motor brushes.

(2005 Ram 2500 5.7L manual transmission starter motor)

. A different option to junkyard hunt for. Has more power than a denso, even more compact. Heres a reman on rockauto. One threaded hole in it has to be reamed out for a through bolt. Automatic trans uses different snout. It has to be one for a manual transmission.

Screenshot_20191023-130529_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20191023-130535_Samsung Internet.jpg

here's a denso installed on an LA.
Drain tube faced down.
Replacement tubes can be purchased, as can pretty much any parts for these.

upload_2019-10-23_18-16-21.png

There's also several optional adapters for the connections.
upload_2019-10-23_18-18-50.png

This was the one on the starter I've been using.
upload_2019-10-23_18-20-33.png

Mine doesn't have that particular hole - probably not needed for this application.

Smart man. Very good idea. You should see the inside of the trailers we used to travel across country with. Parts , welder, compressor, And the most important is the Microwave, toaster oven and the foreman grill. 4 days at the tracks and 4 days on the road every two weeks . We had no time to be broke down when ever on the road for what ever type of racing. Leading in points meant being there. Drag racing was by far the most relaxing and the most fun. The people were all friendly and tow vehicle parts were readily available. Everyone had a Cummins or a Powerstroke

View attachment 1715412725

View attachment 1715412726

View attachment 1715412727

That is so cool that you and your son do so much together.

-
Back