Mini Tubs

-

Dragnut

Reaction score
Has anybody Mini tubbed a 66 Dart? I'm looking for any does and don'ts on this...The trunk lid mounts are spot welded to the part of the original wheel tub that must be cut out.

My minitub is still in progress...
I drilled out the spot welds at the tub and the intermediary bracket and removed the whole piece. I will weld it all back in place once I have the widened wheel tubs sorted.
IMG_6198.JPG

I moved over one tub on the driver side. That brace has to be notched a little, at least on my car.

You modify the lower bracket that goes between the tub and the lid mounts. This is a '71 B body I did. the bracket lost 1" IIRC. Also trim the seat support.

113.jpg

You might look at the USCARTOOL web site . They sell the spring location kits as well as a mini tub kit for your A body . There is a instruction section with pictures as well as video's on how to install them . This might give you some ideas on how to do this on your own without buying a kit to do it . Just a thought .

You might look at the USCARTOOL web site . They sell the spring location kits as well as a mini tub kit for your A body . There is a instruction section with pictures as well as video's on how to install them . This might give you some ideas on how to do this on your own without buying a kit to do it . Just a thought .
I did check with those guys and they told me that they don't sell a tub kit for a "66" Dart.. they did offer me to take my car to there shop and they would use it for a proto type for a kit but I'm about 9 hours from them... to far !!! Thanks for the info ...

I did check with those guys and they told me that they don't sell a tub kit for a "66" Dart.. they did offer me to take my car to there shop and they would use it for a proto type for a kit but I'm about 9 hours from them... to far !!! Thanks for the info ...
I have purchased a 4 link kit from Reilly for the Dart...

When you cut the wheel well out next to the frame rail, did you leave the lip on the frame or grind it flat?
I did one of each. I started with the driver side and cut all the way to the frame rail. I got a little too agressive with the flap wheel though and cut into the frame rail creating a gap I had to weld up. On the passenger side I left about 1/2" or so and then bent it up. It's not as clean looking imo but I avoid the mistake I made the first time.

I did one of each. I started with the driver side and cut all the way to the frame rail. I got a little too agressive with the flap wheel though and cut into the frame rail creating a gap I had to weld up. On the passenger side I left about 1/2" or so and then bent it up. It's not as clean looking imo but I avoid the mistake I made the first time.
Pass side with the lip.
IMG_6260.JPG

Looking good so far!! ....I see you made your center cut about and inch from the lip...My plan was to make my cut up against that lip...I was also thinking that I would grind off the frame lip so its flat..then find a trailer fender that will fit the hole, I would then have a flat piece of sheet metal welded against the frame rail up to the lip of the trailer fender, eliminating the curve in the fender well. Not sure if this is going to work but if it does it should give me a little more tire room in there...

Looking good so far!! ....I see you made your center cut about and inch from the lip...My plan was to make my cut up against that lip...I was also thinking that I would grind off the frame lip so its flat..then find a trailer fender that will fit the hole, I would then have a flat piece of sheet metal welded against the frame rail up to the lip of the trailer fender, eliminating the curve in the fender well. Not sure if this is going to work but if it does it should give me a little more tire room in there...
Trailer fender is a great idea. I drilled out the spot welds on mine when removing the inner half of the well. With the frame worked flat I will tack it back in place at all of the spotweld holes.

Tacked against frame rail:
IMG_5952.JPG

After removing spot welds:
IMG_5766.JPG

So I received my 4 link from RMS... it was pricey but what a quality item... can't wait too get it installed in the Dart...

IMG_2219.JPG

I did it by cutting to the frame rail where the tire would be closest. the frame rails on these cars angle out as they move forward. So the front areas will be flush, as you move rea the flange can be left and makes an easy way to clean up the seam.

Okay so I made some progress today...after I got over the fact that I was going to hack into my cherry 66 Dart...I got to cutting...

fen1.jpg

fen2.jpg

fen3.jpg

fen4.jpg

Looks great! Is that the trailer fenders or did you fab those? I just finished my mini tub on my 65. Never want to do that again. Hard on the ol knees right?

Looks great! Is that the trailer fenders or did you fab those? I just finished my mini tub on my 65. Never want to do that again. Hard on the ol knees right?
Yes... they are trailer fenders... and let me tell ya...I don't want to do this job again... you have to be a contortionist to do this job!!!

-
Back