Mirrors on a 68 Cuda? What do you like?

Original 68 style side mirrors or newer sport mirrors?

• Original

Votes: 53 75.7%
  • Sport

Votes: 17 24.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
-

fishy68

Tyr Fryr's Inc.
Reaction score
I'm sure this has been done but I haven't seen it. I'm talking about installing the newer style sport mirrors on a 68 Cuda. Are they a bolt on or does it take some modifications? How do they look on an older Cuda? My 68 only had the standard style manual mirror on the dr side and I had a remote style laying around so I installed it. Maybe it's just because I'm used to seeing the smaller mirror but the remote looks so bulky. I realize the sport mirrors aren't any smaller but at least they are aerodynamically styled.

I set up a poll so please vote on what you prefer

Oh yeah, where there more than 1 style of sport mirrors? If so what works the best on a 68 Cuda?

I've considered it too. They will bolt right on. They have the same exact base pattern and gasket.

There are only one style of A-body sport mirrors. They actually offered them on 70 B-bodies and they take the same exact mirror.

BTW the 70 E-bodies use the same top mirror housing, just the bases are different. Replacing/changing the base on a remote mirror is not easy. You have to remove the crimped cable and reinstall them without breaking the pot metal receiver. They used to sell repro bases to convert A-body mirrors to E-body. That's why you will see bare A-body bases for sale.

Best cheapest thing is to get used or repro A-body sport mirrors.

I've considered it too. They will bolt right on. They have the same exact base pattern and gasket.

There are only one style of A-body sport mirrors. They actually offered them on 70 B-bodies and they take the same exact mirror.

BTW the 70 E-bodies use the same top mirror housing, just the bases are different. They used to sell repro bases to convert A-body mirrors to E-body. That's why you will see bare A-body bases for sale.

Thanks for all the great info AutoX. I wondered if E-body mirrors would work.

This in the only one I've seen. Owned by Tom Skjonsberg

http://www.moparmusclemagazine.com/featuredvehicles/a_body/mopp_0804_69_hemi_cuda_convertible/

plymouth_hemi_cuda_convertible_1969.jpg

mopp_0804_cuda_03_z%2B69_hemi_cuda_convertible%2B.jpg

to me sport mirrors are a 70+ thing ....they don't really look 60s like an A-body cuda .....A-body cudas are the definition of late 60s

to me sport mirrors are a 70+ thing ....they don't really look 60s like an A-body cuda .....A-body cudas are the definition of late 60s

I hear ya Rani. I'm generally of the same opinion (use 60's stuff on a 60's car) but IMO they don't look too bad on the pic Steve posted. I'm just not crazy about the 60's remote mirror look on my car and thought I'd see if anyone had a pic of what a ralley mirror looked like on a 68.

I hear ya Rani. I'm generally of the same opinion (use 60's stuff on a 60's car) but IMO they don't look too bad on the pic Steve posted. I'm just not crazy about the 60's remote mirror look on my car and thought I'd see if anyone had a pic of what a ralley mirror looked like on a 68.

That particular 69 'Cuda "what if" car has A LOT of visual busy-ness going on. The look on a 68 should not be much different than a typical 69. It's just that one with the white stripe, conv top, hood scoops just doesn't give you a great thing to go off of.

I was thinking body color might be more subdued. But body colored things are more of a 70-up deal. So I'm sort of torn.

I have a set of painted ones I want to try some day. But I think chrome would be a better way to go.

I know I've seen another or more. Just can't find picture.

The 69 convertible suprisingly pulled it off pretty well I think. Not sure I
could commit to it myself though.
Its definitely not as offensive as installing the 70 high back seats to me.
The 60s chrome bullet mirrors would seem more fitting to the age
for a custom look. Kinda reminds me of the Barris 68 barracuda with
his custom quarter scoops, front and rear spoiler additions.
Nice to see something different now and again. Tough call.

I am with autocross the chrome is a better choice than painted.
Here is the Barris car. Not sure if I luv or hate it. But it could do the
newer mirrors easy.

Attachments

• barris-cuda.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 496
Here's the Mannix TV show Barris Dart with a painted Talbot style mirror

156151-500-0.jpg

156161-500-0.jpg

Didn't know Barris did a dart. Should have known he did so many cars.
That's got the 60s vibe but I like them in chrome better.

I vote original, but it is your car

While everyone is here looking at exterior mirrors

I need to change my left manual mirror. The junk aftermarket mirror will not stay in place. Had it glued for years but now cannot get it to stay and is really loose now.

So anyone have one in excellent condition before I buy another repop from Taiwan, China or who knows where

I was able to use some industrial super glue and it held, have tried stuff from store and so far nothing has worked. Going to try glue one more time. But I really need a new mirror

Sport hands down! Go chrome if you wanna keep/have that 60s look to the car. Paint them if you want it to be more modern.

Original. I dont think the sports look right on them. But I do like these Talbot mirrors ^^^

My 2 cents...

It depends on how the rest of the car looks.

Paul

Agreed, the 1st 69 vert looked "busy" and I dont think the mirrors helped. The Mannix dart looked better with them IMO.
If you go body color with the sports, then they would blend in more and be a little more discreet??

The more I look at it the more I like the 68 mirror so I think I'll stay with it. Sure appreciate the pics and opinions. I couldn't find a pic of a 67-9 with sport mirrors so I wondered how they looked. I think if I did go with them I'd have to go chrome. 60's and chrome just go together IMO

-
Back