Missed me by that much!

-

Dana67Dart

The parts you don't add don't cause you no trouble
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Was out driving my 67 Dart GT Convertible, noticed the sky darkening, so drove home. 30 minutes later...
upload_2018-5-22_19-12-24.png

RARE for this part of the country is a "really heavy" hail storm. Back when I was commuting to Spokamentro I had the "skud missile" (low flying poorly guided missile) AKA 78 Ferd LTDII 351W 2bbl. I was coming home on the freeway when "heavy hail" happened. The car slowed down, it would not pull itself well through about 4" of big hail balls!!!

pea sized with a bunch of 1/4 to 3/8.

Sounds like a second round coming now!

Looks like Boulder last Friday. I was at work at Arapahoe Ridge High School. About 3 or 3:30 started raining and hailing heavy, and continued about 40 minutes. The school was flooding all over the place, not the roof but water running in under the doors. We had 3 or more inches of hail on the ground, up against the building it was a foot deep in places. Weird thing, couple hours after it stopped Inwent out for some food. 150 yds down the road in any direction there was No hail on the ground at all. Like it was just hailing over the school.

323D3D89-B108-49CF-91C6-48D7656B60D2.jpeg

I'm very glad to hear that you and the Dart were safe!

I'm not trying to one-up you here but we got nailed too here in CT.

Fortunately, my Dart wasn't out and about because we had "ping pong ball" sized stones falling. I was at work with the Subaru and just outside of the damage zone...but the trees were stripped of leaves, cars were wrecked all over the neighborhood. There's a guy with a gorgeous 65 Galaxy that got pretty banged up, the neighbor's beloved Mazda RX-8 is a nightmare...really heart breaking and really unusual for us too.

This is what it looked like when I got home from work a couple hours after the storm. The biggest stones that I could find were about an inch in diameter...Insane.

IMG_7498.jpg

IMG_7505.jpg

IMG_7510.jpg

Yeah Mr G that was something. I'm out east, only got rain and a little wind. I have friends who got softball sized hail in Granby.

There are so many cars around here that look like someone took a ball peen hammer to them from older storms, it breaks my heart.

something odd I noticed about some of the freshly fallen hail stones. They had the shape of candy corn, never saw that before.

Storm we had a few years ago in Lyons, the insurance company totaled my wife's Nissan Sentra but she bought it back and is still driving it. She doesn't care about cosmetics that much, as long as the car still gets her where she wants to go.

Yeah Mr G that was something. I'm out east, only got rain and a little wind. I have friends who got softball sized hail in Granby.

Yep! I'm right down the road from Granby!
I heard the reports of the huge hail stones from there but for whatever reason, we had way more damage to the foliage. It seriously looks like early April again.

Storm we had a few years ago in Lyons, the insurance company totaled my wife's Nissan Sentra but she bought it back and is still driving it. She doesn't care about cosmetics that much, as long as the car still gets her where she wants to go.

Was that the flood in '13? Or was that '14?

Grew up in Greeley where the smell of money abounds :)

I grew up in Lyons/Longmont where the smell of other green stuff abounds

I think the big hail storm we had in Lyons was 2014 or 2015, definitely after the flood. I know that year I think every house in Lyons got a new roof. All summer long you could hear the nail guns, bang bang bang.

I work in Thornton and live in FC (50 miles one way) One evening a few years ago I had just gotten home when my daughter called to say she was sick in a parking lot just north of E470 off I25. So being the dad that I am I turned around and headed back down. There was a tie-up on the interstate so I took country road 7 to by-pass the interstate. The winds and rain were picking up and hail was falling. As I drove inline with Longmont I started to notice tree branches on the roadway and more leaves than I had ever seen. All of a sudden my viability was next to nothing but I kept going. Once I got back on the interstate I started to hear the reports that there was a small tornado that had just messed with Longmont. To this day when my daughter gives me grief I remind her I drove through a tornado to come and help her!
(not my video)

-
Back