Missed on this combo?

-
See that on all my dyno sheets. Old and newer. I don't think it's an Hg type reading. I believe it's a PSI thing, but I honestly don't know. Look to me like its a negative number. I know it isn't erroneous whatever it means. It's a DTS dyno. There are many readings you can choose to be in those columns. That's just my guy's preference, I guess.
Correct, they will always be a negative value if You're not boosted, but intake depression is usually measured in "Hg. If that were indeed pounds that would be an exceptionally
high amount of depression,i.e. restricted at the carb...........I believe for the HP950 it works out to a normal DP rating of 830 or so, I'm inclined to think the chart column is
headed incorrectly.....................if not then the carb definitely was choking the engine at over 3"Hg......I believe You did confirm it was opening 100%?

It was opening . It's my tried and true carb that's on my in car engine now.
Don't know if ever mentioned, but we tried a HP1000 also. Very similar results. Not worth mentioning.

Have something cooking right now. Part of the deal is I don't open my big yapper until things are done, dyno'd and proven.
Apparently this thread got plenty of people talking. I will absolutely positively update when I can. No idea for sure how long it will be. I assume by the end of summer.

Have something cooking right now. Part of the deal is I don't open my big yapper until things are done, dyno'd and proven.
Apparently this thread got plenty of people talking. I will absolutely positively update when I can. No idea for sure how long it will be. I assume by the end of summer.

Well that's damn good news. At least you are moving forward. I'm happy for you!

Glad to hear this hasn't got ya down!

I'm curious to see what you come up with. I was just thinking you should try out a pair of them speedmaster CNC heads. When mike at MRL was building engines he used them on a few and made good power. They seem like an interesting alternative to the edelbrocks out there.

I'm curious to see what you come up with. I was just thinking you should try out a pair of them speedmaster CNC heads. When mike at MRL was building engines he used them on a few and made good power. They seem like an interesting alternative to the edelbrocks out there.
Is mrl still building

I know he really had a handle on the Speed masters. Don't know his status. I do know that his wife had some health issues. Hope that all goes well for him.

I never saw ANY of his builds make the power his 3rd party dyno sheets claimed. He used inflated dyno numbers as a sales tool, or perhaps he believed the inflated numbers the dyno service provided him, but anyway, he has now shut the doors and changed careers...

I never saw ANY of his builds make the power his 3rd party dyno sheets claimed. He used inflated dyno numbers as a sales tool, or perhaps he believed the inflated numbers the dyno service provided him, but anyway, he has now shut the doors and changed careers...

Big numbers sells motors, that's for sure. It's all about bragging rights at the local cruise-ins... Or internet forums for that matter. LOL

Is mrl still building

No. Unfortunately he had to take another job for the health coverage.

And I know several guys on here very happy with his motors and when they dyno'd they made the power he said they would. I've yet to see you post any proof of his "inflated" dyno numbers? So. I know which side I'm going to believe.

MRL provided a lot of excellent insight and knowledge on this board. Lots of people (including pro engine builders) were very glad to have him around and hear about his builds. We lose out when we lose an engine builder like Mike. And it's attitudes like yours that make guys like MRL and IQ and others not want to post their builds. There's always someone saying "well I would have..." or "It would have made more power if...." when all the builder is doing is posting their findings to help out regular guys looking for a little more knowledge and power.

And just for the record. He shut his doors to take a job that provided healthcare for his sick family. Not because he didn't know what he was doing. Have some sympathy for a man giving up on his dream so he can provide for his family.

I agree ...Mike was a very intelligent person when it came to building MOPAR engines and a great loss to the Mopar world ... Family first ....I hope it all works out for him .. and maybe we will see him back ...

No. Unfortunately he had to take another job for the health coverage.

And I know several guys on here very happy with his motors and when they dyno'd they made the power he said they would. I've yet to see you post any proof of his "inflated" dyno numbers? So. I know which side I'm going to believe.

MRL provided a lot of excellent insight and knowledge on this board. Lots of people (including pro engine builders) were very glad to have him around and hear about his builds. We lose out when we lose an engine builder like Mike. And it's attitudes like yours that make guys like MRL and IQ and others not want to post their builds. There's always someone saying "well I would have..." or "It would have made more power if...." when all the builder is doing is posting their findings to help out regular guys looking for a little more knowledge and power.

And just for the record. He shut his doors to take a job that provided healthcare for his sick family. Not because he didn't know what he was doing. Have some sympathy for a man giving up on his dream so he can provide for his family.
No reason to get a attitude, I think Mike's a good guy, he did quality machine work and I honestly think he BELIEVED his engines made the power he was told. But there are examples....a certain blue dart on this site...I think the claim was 540 dyno horsepower, it was then installed, taken to a chassis dyno where I think they said they picked up 20 or 30 MORE horses, then taken to the track where it ran like 114 MPH at 3100 odd pounds...the track doesn't lie, but dyno do!

And if you will do enough research, the pro engine builders even pointed out his discrepancies in his dyno figures...go study a bit, you'll find it.... MRL didn't fair very well in the engine challenges he was involved in either.. good guy? YES.... having voodoo with Mopars making more power than everyone else NO....

No reason to get a attitude, I think Mike's a good guy, he did quality machine work and I honestly think he BELIEVED his engines made the power he was told. But there are examples....a certain blue dart on this site...I think the claim was 540 dyno horsepower, it was then installed, taken to a chassis dyno where I think they said they picked up 20 or 30 MORE horses, then taken to the track where it ran like 114 MPH at 3100 odd pounds...the track doesn't lie, but dyno do!

The only attitude here is yours. Which chases builders off the boards. They don't wanna tell us about their builds only to have someone say "well you know...." or "It didn't make that much power...". I want them to stick around and give us info. Especially info I don't have the time or ability to get myself.

Which blue dart? Wheres the graphs? The proof? I said I've yet to see you post any proof. And I've still yet to see you post any proof.

And let me get this straight. It made 540 on the engine dyno. Then made MORE on the chassis dyno? Hmmm that's not right. You lose power through driveline, not gain it. So right there. You're not making sense. And yes. You can put a 540 horse engine in a 3100 pound car and go slow. It's really not that hard. If you don't know how. I can explain it to you.

And if you will do enough research, the pro engine builders even pointed out his discrepancies in his dyno figures...go study a bit, you'll find it.... MRL didn't fair very well in the engine challenges he was involved in either.. good guy? YES.... having voodoo with Mopars making more power than everyone else NO....

OHHHH now I have to do YOUR research for YOU to prove YOUR allegation. Right. That's how it works.

Didn't fair well in the engine challenges? Hmm yeah I guess getting 4th is bad. How did you do in the engine challenges?

Hey, it looks like I'm causing the derail! My bad, I went there cause someone suggested some MRL procomp heads could fix the OP power woes....uh....no...

I didn't suggest MRL procomp heads could fix it. I suggest you read my post. I suggested the CNC speedmaster heads because Mike said he made power with them. And guess what? That's on topic. You then made a post about Mike that wasn't. At least try contributing to the thread.

Derailing thread ahead....

LOOK OUT!

CHOO CHOOOOOOO

Derail over.

Wow...I dunno where to begin...maybe you need reading comprehension lessons. I said, engine in question was dynoed by MRLs guy, buyer installed in his car, then went to a chassis dyno where they tuned on it and found ADDITIONAL power...it then went and ran at the track...it ran like 114 MPH @ 3100 odd pounds...the real truth teller.....

And I have PERSONALLY reached out to the OP to try and help....offered up a complete W2 top end...what have you done?

Wow...I dunno where to begin...maybe you need reading comprehension lessons. I said, engine in question was dynoed by MRLs guy, buyer installed in his car, then went to a chassis dyno where they tuned on it and found ADDITIONAL power...it then went and ran at the track...it ran like 114 MPH @ 3100 odd pounds...the real truth teller.....

Right. Additional power. From an engine dyno to a chassis dyno. Please explain that. Makes no sense. You're gunna lose probably 50-100 horse through the driveline. So how do you know you GAINED power when you're already losing it. I think maybe you need reading comprehension?

Also. Yes. Super easy to go slow with a strong engine. Too small tires. Poor chassis setup. Poor suspension setup. Etc etc. Need I go on? Hence why it made good power on TWO dynos (according to you) and then not at the track.

Here. I'll give you a simple example.

Put a 540 horsepower engine in a car with 195 rear tires. An open 2.76 diff. Zero suspension setup. Zero chassis setup. And tell me how fast it goes.

And I have PERSONALLY reached out to the OP to try and help....offered up a complete W2 top end...what have you done?

Given a lot better advice than you. OH and proven you wrong.

You can have an attitude all you want. My post was a suggestion as to which head he might wanna try and use. As an alternative to the edelbrocks he's already had a problem with. Your response was "Mike didn't build the engines he said he did". So really. Give your head a shake bud.

Oh jesus christ, they put the engine in a car, made a chassis dyno pull, and with tuning they increased the power over the BASELINE pull.... go read that twice if it doesnt yet make sense. The car was ran on drag radials, and I didn't say anything about ET....if you were very educated you would know it's simple physics a certain weight, at a certain MPH is a EXCELLENT indicator of power

Your suggestion was to use a speed master head cause MRL made big power with them...I'm pointing out MRL didn't make the power you think

Oh jesus christ, they put the engine in a car, made a chassis dyno pull, and with tuning they increased the power over the BASELINE pull.... go read that twice if it doesnt yet make sense. The car was ran on drag radials, and I didn't say anything about ET....if you were very educated you would know it's simple physics a certain weight, at a certain MPH is a EXCELLENT indicator of power

No. What you said is "taken to a chassis dyno where I think they said they picked up 20 or 30 MORE horses". Which makes it sound like they picked power up over the engine dyno. See. Comprehension. So how much power did to make on the chassis dyno then? I still have yet to see any real graphs or even a number as proof. So far you've given me anecdotal evidence.

I know physics very well. Physics like if a tire is spinning half the track. It doesn't pickup nearly the ET or MPH it should. In fact today I watched a pro-mod go 4.28 at 151. In the 1/8th. Wanna guess why?

Your suggestion was to use a speed master head cause MRL made big power with them...I'm pointing out MRL didn't make the power you think

Nope. My suggestion was speedmaster cnc heads because he had made GOOD power with them before. And others have too. It's a 190cc intake. And they are a good alternative to the edelbrocks.

Good god man, I don't know what the chassis figures were, it was said that they found more power after tuning the car, over there BASELINE chassis pull. This is AFTER the 540 flywheel pull done at the engine shop.

-
Back