Missing ID stamp

-

Nick I

Reaction score
In my search to find out anything and everything about my new to me ‘67 Barracuda and also in preparation for possible engine rebuild due to possible cylinder glazing, I tried to uncover the ID stamp and found... NOTHING!

It’s a date correct 67 383 according to the castings but the damn thing is an enigma as far as the rebuild (done years ago by a shop out east that isn’t around anymore) goes.

My question to the group: Is it possible the ID stamp was milled off due to the block being decked. Pictures to show you what I uncovered are the passenger side next to the distributor followed by the drivers side just for good measure. Apologies for the scuffs on the passenger side.

531473F7-C122-4A69-BE8F-AF9E7D927A60.jpeg

2B1D69FD-C1A1-4D7E-B028-994500DEF9D3.jpeg

Numbers should be on pass. side.

same face as where the heads mount? I found an old black and white photo that shows it may be to the right of where I’m looking on a surface that runs parallel with the distributor shaft.

On small block it is under head on driver's side on front of block. From what you all are saying big blocks are elsware?

On small block it is under head on driver's side on front of block. From what you all are saying big blocks are elsware?

Yeah that’s what I’m seeing/reading. I went looking for mine but may have confirmed the block has been decked instead!

EDIT:The text description I found below appeared to be incorrect.

Found this. isn't a 383 a B so it would be on the rail infront if the intake

"Locate the engine ID boss. If the ID boss is located on the block's right side just below the cylinder head next to the distributor base, then the engine has an RB (Golden Lion) block; if the ID boss is located on top of the block directly in front of the intake manifold valley, then the engine is a B block"

This image shows the reverse?

The consensus is the image below is correct
MoparEngineIdentification.jpg

Last edited:

"Locate the engine ID boss. If the ID boss is located on the block's right side just below the cylinder head next to the distributor base, then the engine has an RB (Golden Lion) block; if the ID boss is located on top of the block directly in front of the intake manifold valley, then the engine is a B block"

Thank you! I’ll be checking the intake area when I swap distributors this winter.

Sorry Dana67 but your description is incorrect/opposite. The picture provided is correct. From the milling marks on your engine's pad, I would say the engine numbers have been miller off, a common problem on "B" engines.

This image shows the reverse?

View attachment 1715602490

That picture is correct for big blocks.

You really couldn't have narrowed it down a whole lot if the information was still on the pad anyway, as they didn't have the partial VIN above the pan rail until some time in 68 I believe. So, the only thing you will have to go on is whatever the cast in date code says.

That picture is correct for big blocks.

You really couldn't have narrowed it down a whole lot if the information was still on the pad anyway, as they didn't have the partial VIN above the pan rail until some time in 68 I believe. So, the only thing you will have to go on is whatever the cast in date code says.

Yeah, I was just more curious. At least it provides more info on what’s been done to this motor with out having to tear it down.

-
Back