Missing lower end parts on steering column?

-

Tylan

Reaction score
I've dismantled the standard column from my 74 duster and I think there might be some missing parts. My repair manual and most other online info has told me there should be a lower bearing, which I don't have.
20220504_135747.jpg

Here I have loosely reassembled the steering shaft, shift tube, and outer unnamed tube, showing everything that was there, other than the coupler, before I had dismantled it.
From what I understand, there is supposed to be a bearing between the steering shaft and shifter tube. I feel that there is also something missing that goes between the shift tube and outer tube, a seal perhaps? The white bushing does not stay in place very well and could easily slide, which brings me to my next question. Where are the shift tube and bushing supposed to be in relation to the outer tube? I never concentrated too much on this while it was in the car, so I don't remember explicitly, but I think it was something like this:
20220504_135824.jpg

Or is it supposed to be closer to this arrangement:
20220504_135806.jpg

The bushing is right up against the end of the shifter tube here, and is visible through that slit on the outer tube.

I believe there is a plastic retainer missing between the shifter arm and the column.
The slit in the outer shaft is where the plastic retainer clips on.

I think there is a bolt on version as well

Screenshot_20220504-161112.png

Screenshot_20220504-161250.png

Last edited:
That's what I figured, do you know where I can get exact parts? I tried searching for them by just googling as well as looking on classic industries, but to no avail.

I dint think a lower bearing is required as it rides on the steering box input shaft. You wouldnt usually put 3 bearings on a shaft, especially if the steering box coupler is not 100% centered all the time. My 65 doesnt have a lower bearing IIRC.

I dint think a lower bearing is required as it rides on the steering box input shaft. You wouldnt usually put 3 bearings on a shaft, especially if the steering box coupler is not 100% centered all the time. My 65 doesnt have a lower bearing IIRC.
That's a good point, it seemed alligned just fine when hooked up to the gear box. My only "concern" is the fact that no seal there means the inside of the shift tube is basically open to the elements from below. Then again, I don't see myself driving this car in all-weather conditions, that's what the daily is for. Though I wish I could find a replacement clip for the plastic bushing that is still on the column.

I think that white disk keeps the hot air from riding up the column and heating your steering wheel.

I dint think a lower bearing is required as it rides on the steering box input shaft. You wouldnt usually put 3 bearings on a shaft
The bushing / bearing centers the shift shaft on the column tube. I don't think there is a bearing on the bottom of the stearing shaft to the shift shaft.

Red = steering shaft to shift shaft seal
Green = shifter shaft to column tube bushing
Screenshot_20220504-231606.png

Are you sure that's a '74 standard shift column? It looks to me that it's and earlier automatic column. I seem to remember that '74 started the slotted hole crush zone instead of the squared expanded metal crush zone.

Are you sure that's a '74 standard shift column? It looks to me that it's and earlier automatic column. I seem to remember that '74 started the slotted hole crush zone instead of the squared expanded metal crush zone.
I was told by the previous owner it was a 74, never second guessed it. Just decoded the VIN and I think it's actually a 73 model. Though that doesn't seem like a huge age difference to have a different column. The shift/lock/turn indicator housing matches the rest the color the car used to be, inside and out.

-
Back