Mission Creep on a D-150

-
How are those bare Speedmaster heads coming along?...

Why, thank you for asking! They are sitting patiently in their boxes waiting for me to get this turd street worthy, then we will determine where we go next.

know what you mean about "project creep" and "machine shop jail" on an 80s D150 with a slant 6...... youre writing my story.
and a Volare that hasnt been touched in too long besides..... and I find myself looking for a club cab square body D250.

So is red a correct color for the slant in the 80s or is that just your own taste .

I have to say that it looks FANTASTIC.

I think pretty much all Chryco engines from about 1972 through 1981 (or so) were blue. After that, black.

So is red a correct color for the slant in the 80s or is that just your own taste .

I have to say that it looks FANTASTIC.

I have no idea if the red is a correct color or not. It is Rustoleum Regal Red, with black and silver accents. I picked it for some reason that escapes me at the moment, but it does look sharp. IMHO, of course. :rolleyes:

Mine will be Mopar blue, some call it "318 blue" in my 85 largely because I have a POR 15 engine painting kit that color that I gotta use up before I have to throw it away on account of going bad, bought too many years ago for a different engine.
I did use the 4 oz can of por 15 silver out of it for something else that they put in the kits as "primer" and I could tell it is "$#it it get off the pot" time for that batch of paint. So it has to be used. Even though my original engine was black.

Mine will be Mopar blue, some call it "318 blue" in my 85 largely because I have a POR 15 engine painting kit that color that I gotta use up before I have to throw it away on account of going bad, bought too many years ago for a different engine.
I did use the 4 oz can of por 15 silver out of it for something else that they put in the kits as "primer" and I could tell it is "$#it it get off the pot" time for that batch of paint. So it has to be used. Even though my original engine was black.
Petty blue..

Time for an update, I have about 600 miles on the truck so far, it continues to run well. I got the electric brakes hooked up, and added air bags to the rear springs. The truck rides so smooth and comfortable, I didn't want to add helper springs for load carrying capacity because that would like make the ride more harsh. The air bags are perfect. I leave them barely inflated until I need them, then pump them up when pulling the trailer. It was a lot of work to get them installed but it was worth it. Whoever wrote the install instructions was delirious - it said about two hours was needed but in reality it was two days of custom fitting everything.

DSCN1154.JPG

Due to sheer dumb luck, I think it is finally tuned properly. It took a LOT of fiddling with the timing and carb but it magically fell together. I pulls as hard as I figured it would, especially considering this is a little motor pushing around a fairly heavy truck.

Time for an update.

Whoops!

My fine running truck took a crap after only 700 miles on the new build. I was busy for quite a while chasing bad noises in this thread Ideas on what's causing my click/tick/rattle noise?. Turns out despite my best efforts and reading a LOT on tuning, I had the timing badly misadjusted and detonated myself into getting to rebuild the engine. Again. :(

DSCN1322.JPG

The block is down to bare-bones nothing, as I get ready to clean it, scrub the oil galleys, and get ready to put it back together. My GF thinks I'm some kind of good mechanic. I tell her all the time that really I'm somewhat mechanically inclined, but lack of information and experience bites me in the *** all the time. Proof positive, above. Back to the drawing board for round two...

Time for an update.

Whoops!

My fine running truck took a crap after only 700 miles on the new build. I was busy for quite a while chasing bad noises in this thread Ideas on what's causing my click/tick/rattle noise?. Turns out despite my best efforts and reading a LOT on tuning, I had the timing badly misadjusted and detonated myself into getting to rebuild the engine. Again. :(

View attachment 1715863795

The block is down to bare-bones nothing, as I get ready to clean it, scrub the oil galleys, and get ready to put it back together. My GF thinks I'm some kind of good mechanic. I tell her all the time that really I'm somewhat mechanically inclined, but lack of information and experience bites me in the *** all the time. Proof positive, above. Back to the drawing board for round two...
I want my cheeseburger back!...
You only one the bet by a 700 mi technicality...

I want my cheeseburger back!...
You only one the bet by a 700 mi technicality...

There is some validity to your viewpoint, sir. How about this? I'll go you double or nothing on round two for who drives their street legal truck down the road first?

There is some validity to your viewpoint, sir. How about this? I'll go you double or nothing on round two for who drives their street legal truck down the road first?
I drove my street legal truck today I win!...

PXL_20220117_010836343~2.jpg

I could technically break in the engine and drive it but I want it more sorted first ..

The block is cleaned, threads chased, washed out, re-painted, and the cam is back in it. I got the crank in to check clearances with plastigage, all is well. Today I will check the rod bearings and if all is well will proceed with assembling the bottom end. A table full of parts is ready to get back to work!

DSCN1341.JPG

DSCN1348.JPG

DSCN1347.JPG

I bet I break in my engine before you break in yours?!!..:D..
EDIT: The second time...:rolleyes:..

I bet I break in my engine before you break in yours?!!..:D..
EDIT: The second time...:rolleyes:..

That is a distinct possibility sir. However I have several days off ahead and all engine work scheduled for them.

Here at Chez Halfafish we are back on the truck project. I hit the wall big time what with having to completely rebuild what was a brand new engine, and had to walk away for a while. However after a bit of that it was time to put on my Big Boy Pants and get to work. The short block is back together with a quick dingle-ball hone and all new bearings and rings. Everything else is cleaned up and ready to assemble. This weekend I plan to get the externals in place - timing chain and cover, water pump, fuel pump, and oil pump. The head should be back from the machine shop next week so I can bolt that on. I'm going to swap the intake and carb from a Clifford intake with an Edelbrock 500 AVS2, to an Offy intake with a Holley 390. The Clifford shorty headers will be reinstalled. I had a bung put in the exhaust and got an A/F gauge so I can actually see what's going on carb-tuning wise. I suck at tuning so I figured to give myself all the help I can. Lord knows I need it. :eek:

DSCN1445.JPG

You do know I've driven my truck up and down the street a couple times now correct?... Admittedly no windows no bed no tags and no brains! LOL...

You do know I've driven my truck up and down the street a couple times now correct?... Admittedly no windows no bed no tags and no brains! LOL...

OK, so now that puts you only 699 miles behind me. :D:D:D

Since the head has been at the MS for a couple of weeks, I decided to tackle the cab flooring. This truck had none at all, making it VERY noisy. Plus the shifter boot wasn't screwed down so tons of road noise came up through the hole. Out came the seat. The floors are pristine with factory paint in outstanding shape.

DSCN1448.JPG

However, they are filthy. An evening spent scraping, vacuuming, washing, and final wipe-down gets us nice surfaces for the Kilmat. I did give a shot of primer to a couple of surface scrapes.

DSCN1450.JPG

Much to my surprise, the Kilmat takes a loooooooooooong time to install. The back wall was pretty quick since it's a mostly flat surface, but for the rest each piece has to be placed, trimmed, and patched by hand. I'm not a particularly anal kind of guy, but I do want full coverage on the Kilmat. Here is two evenings worth of work.

DSCN1452.JPG

Yesterday I picked up the head. They went through the entire thing with full tear-down and cleanup, new positive valve seals throughout, relapped the valves, and checked the spring heights. Here it is, in its bagged/shrouded beauty. More pics of this one when I get ready to install it.

DSCN1453.JPG

I'm only working tomorrow of the next four days, so it will be a shop-fest to chart some forward progress. Stay tuned, happy campers!

Good gravy man someone has to keep you off the for sale part of this forum! If it was up to me I'd ban you LOL...
I'm afraid you're going to get buried alive before any one of these cars or trucks gets done...:rolleyes:...

-
Back