Mixed up valves

-

/6 Matt

30 Degrees Crooked
Reaction score
Kind of more of a general engine building question but still slant six related.

So I've been doing some mild portwork on a head for my slant six that's gonna go in the Dart soon. I was very prudent in keeping the valves in order and labeled as I disassembled the cylinder head and did the old school trick where you poke holes through a box and place them in it. I even made sure to put the box in the only place I could think of were kids, cats and wives wouldn't disturb it and.... my wife still managed to accidentally knock down the box and I have two intake valves that fell out with no clue which one goes in which cylinder.

So my question is now what? Do I just put them back in the head and lap them? Do i buy new valves and lap them in? Do i get a valve job? The head doesn't really need a valve job.

Did you take some before pictures? Maybe there's some distinguishing feature on one or the other that will identify it. I write numbers on my valve faces with a Sharpie just in case.

But....I wouldn't lose any sleep over it.

Are you going to do a valve job? Are you going to at least lap the valves?

When I completely rebuilt my 225, I had the head redone by my old school machinist including hardened exhaust seats. When I got it back I sat there looking at it on the bench and just couldn't bring myself to throwing it on the block untouched. So I disassembled it and did some pocket porting and gasket matching. Think I spent about 10 hrs on it.

Last edited:
You should probably lap them in anyway. Doing port work and not do a valve job? Not the way I would do it.

Just lap them in. I would do them all. That way, not only will you assure a good seat in the two that got knocked out and on the rest as well. They probably need refreshing anyway.

Sadly no, I didn't take before photos as I didn't anticipate a need for it. This head has already been rebuilt before by someone else and never ran so as long as I can finish the job without nicking a valve seat I dont plan on getting a valve job.

Thanks for the advice guys! I cant wait to get this motor together and in the car!

1) Sharpie, they're not expensive, lol!
2) Without seeing the condition, it's hard to give the best advise, but My opinion is replace the valves & lap them in if there are no/minuscule pits in the seats.
3) If You're bothering with port-work, there is something to be gained from a quality valve job performance-wise, just sayin'!

-
Back