Mixed Year Dart/Duster Door question

-

Woodsman341

Reaction score
Hi all,

I just brought home a '75 Dart Sport with a '72 front clip, and I'm looking for doors with the correct '74-'75 internals (door release at the forward-top location). This is my first "mixed breed", so to speak, so I'm wanting to make doubly sure before I start buying doors:

- Will the doors from a '74-'75 Duster fit AND match the lines between the fenders and rear quarter?

And yeah, I know I have to do something about that gap between the left fender and door. One thing at a time. :)

Thanks!

1.jpg

2.jpg

Yes the Dart Sport and Duster are the same. What is wrong with the doors you have now? Looks like they are correct. I have several but am in Rockford, Illinois...

They fit fine, but they are '72 doors and I'm looking to go back to the '75 look on the inside. Personal preference, plus, it's what I had in my first Dart back in the day and I want what's familiar. You know how it is. :)

They fit fine, but they are '72 doors and I'm looking to go back to the '75 look on the inside. Personal preference, plus, it's what I had in my first Dart back in the day and I want what's familiar. You know how it is. :)
OK, transporting a car to Florence, SC later this week and could check what year doors I have, but I know I don't have the plastic upper door frame pieces...

OK, transporting a car to Florence, SC later this week and could check what year doors I have, but I know I don't have the plastic upper door frame pieces...

Shoot... I forgot about the plastic uppers. Something for me to think about.

What are those plastic bits even called? Is there a reproduction set out there somewhere, or is it strictly salvage?

Keep the ‘72 doors they are lighter.

That may be true, but I'm going more for a daily driver, and my first impression is that the 72 doors are just uglier. They may grow on me.. I mean, I absolutely hate it the front clip when I first got it home and was determined to switch it to a 75 sport front end, but after 2 or 3 days of looking at it and visualizing paint schemes, I'm really into it now. If it weren't for the location of the door release handle, I would like the 72 doors better because of the lack of plastic on the top. Who knows, maybe I'll come around. :)

I have ‘72 doors on my ‘74 Dart Sport an am enjoying not having to find 40+ year old dried out plastic to replace the dried out broken plastic that adorns the ‘74 doors JMO.

Well, unless I find a set of 74-76 doors with good plastic bits, I think I've decided to follow the sage advice of a few of you and keep the 72 doors.

Now, any place to get arm rests? Both of mine are gone, as in not even the frame that screws in.

Thanks!

All Duster, Demon, and Dart Sport doors will fit and match all the body lines.

The door handle location, interior panels, and window hardware and glass all vary by year. Main categories are ‘70-72 and ‘73-76, but the glass and window hardware varies a lot more than that. ‘70-72 glass and hardware mostly interchange, ‘73 is a one year only gig, and ‘74+ went to totally different window lift hardware.

None of the ‘73+ interior plastic is reproduced, except for maybe the door handle cups. The door tops and quarter window surrounds are not, and they’re pretty hard to find in good condition and difficult to ship too, especially the rear sections.

Fun fact, all 2 door hardtop and sport body door shells will interchange ‘67-76. A ‘68 Dart door shell (no wing vent installed) will bolt right onto a ‘76 Duster. Converting the glass hardware is more work than it’s worth because there are tabs and mounting locations that are different internally, but the body lines all match up and the door is the same length.

I’m switching my ‘74 Duster doors for a set of ‘71 Duster doors to go with the rest of my ‘71 Demon tribute. I already went to the earlier metal rear quarter window surrounds. Easier to convert the metal interior panels than find a set of unbroken rear interior panels.

I'd like to thank you all, sincerely, for your help. Not one snide remark, or how much of a noob I am. :) It's greatly appreciated.

All Duster, Demon, and Dart Sport doors will fit and match all the body lines.

The door handle location, interior panels, and window hardware and glass all vary by year. Main categories are ‘70-72 and ‘73-76, but the glass and window hardware varies a lot more than that. ‘70-72 glass and hardware mostly interchange, ‘73 is a one year only gig, and ‘74+ went to totally different window lift hardware.

None of the ‘73+ interior plastic is reproduced, except for maybe the door handle cups. The door tops and quarter window surrounds are not, and they’re pretty hard to find in good condition and difficult to ship too, especially the rear sections.

Fun fact, all 2 door hardtop and sport body door shells will interchange ‘67-76. A ‘68 Dart door shell (no wing vent installed) will bolt right onto a ‘76 Duster. Converting the glass hardware is more work than it’s worth because there are tabs and mounting locations that are different internally, but the body lines all match up and the door is the same length.

I’m switching my ‘74 Duster doors for a set of ‘71 Duster doors to go with the rest of my ‘71 Demon tribute. I already went to the earlier metal rear quarter window surrounds. Easier to convert the metal interior panels than find a set of unbroken rear interior panels.
If I follow what you are saying, doors from say a '74 two door Swinger will fit and match my 75 Dart Sport body with the 72 front? If so, I think I just found a donor. If not, I'll keep looking. :)

If I follow what you are saying, doors from say a '74 two door Swinger will fit and match my 75 Dart Sport body with the 72 front? If so, I think I just found a donor. If not, I'll keep looking. :)

The door shells will fit, but converting the window mechanisms over to take the Dart Sport glass and hardware will be a pain in the butt. Not worth it at all in my opinion. Find doors for a Duster/Dart Sport

Here’s a thread showing the differences in the doors to accommodate the completely different door glass and lift mechanisms

Demon door?? Which others fit?

The door shells will fit, but converting the window mechanisms over to take the Dart Sport glass and hardware will be a pain in the butt. Not worth it at all in my opinion. Find doors for a Duster/Dart Sport

Here’s a thread showing the differences in the doors to accommodate the completely different door glass and lift mechanisms

Demon door?? Which others fit?

Dang, you DID say that, and I totally blanked on it. Thanks for saving me a ton of work!

Unfortunately, I didn't see any arm rests for the Dart/Duster line. :(
You have to click on the arm rest section, I did see that he is out of stock on a lot of them right now, he has been having supplier issue for the foam. I have some laying around, I will see what I have in stock, I assume you want black?

You have to click on the arm rest section, I did see that he is out of stock on a lot of them right now, he has been having supplier issue for the foam. I have some laying around, I will see what I have in stock, I assume you want black?
Yeah, I think black is the way I'm heading. I still need the driver's side arm rest base, too.

-
Back