Modern MoPar and O2 sensors

-

JoePole1

A dude in a B body
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Been fighting a dreaded check engine light on my 09 Ram 1500 with 5.7. Code came back as right bank downstream O2 sensor (P0158). Replaced it with a Bosch unit. Same code came back within 50 miles. A mechanic friend suggested I use a double spark plug adapter to move the sensor out of the exhaust stream. Didn't work with the new sensor or even the old sensor. Started digging on the interweb and found that our MoPars do not like Bosch O2 sensors. Swapped out with an NGK/NTK unit and all is well. Hope this helps.

I work at a Chrysler dealership and I can tell you first hand our vehicle HATE aftermarket O2 sensors. I know the dealership parts prices are nuts but you gonna fight it for ever with a Bosch sensor in there.

I chased a similar problem in my '04 Grand Cherokee after trying multiple bosch units (1 year warranty so the "replacements" were all free) and then trying the official Mopar O2 sensor I was still getting the code. It wasn't until I hooked up my OB2 scanner when my Jeep was on that I found out the troubled O2 sensor was getting a 0.0v reading. I finally traced the harness all the way back to find that a harness support had broken and caused the harness to droop pretty bad behind the engine which pulled on the connection into the computer. I disconnected the battery and made a new support bracket with some sheet metal and a zip tie, then disconnected and reconnected that connection to the computer... 4 years later and I still havent gotten a new code. Point being, try checking with a scanner tool to compare the readout to your other sensors assuming you have more than 1... my Jeep has 4 for example.

I'm working on an 04 Dodge Dakota, with a 4.7 motor. I bought it with a bad engine (surprise, surprise!) and have just put a remanned engine in it. I'm having to replace the right side upstream 02 sensor, and just ordered a Denso replacement today. I hope I don't get into some of the same mess that y'all have!

Can't speak for Denso but you should be fine. Try an internet search or you could ask at the auto parts store or dealership. Good luck.

Thanks Joe. I'm only having to replace it because I got mad and cut the wires to that one 02 sensor while trying to get the exhaust off the truck so I could get the old motor out! I rarely loose my temper, but that thing got the best of me....or was it the other way around ?!?! LOL. I saw your other thread, so have fun on your trip to find a place to retire. :thumbsup:

The 4.0L in my 2005 Jeep is really picky when it comes to O2 sensors. NTK brand do the best, and were OEM installed. Replaced the upstreams (there are 4) with Bosch a while back and it was quick to throw codes. Also, if you have any sort of exhaust leak at all you can get a downstream sensor lean code. How are the manifold bolts/studs on that 5.7?

JD. I hear ya on the temper. I usually wind up creating more work for myself.

Chief. Haven't had to mess with the manifold studs. All good.

-
Back