Moog offset bushing install question.

-

gliderider06

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I am about to install the Moog offset bushings in the UCA's. Do the arrows on both bushings face the ball joint, or do I install them with the rear facing the ball joint and the front facing away from the balljoint? I am a little confused on it.
Thanks!

Front bushing hole goes away from ball joint, rear goes away from ball joint. This is to get caster, it's how mine were. Just looked at it for ya

Front bushing hole goes away from ball joint, rear goes away from ball joint. This is to get caster, it's how mine were. Just looked at it for ya

Don't you mean the front bushing hole offset goes toward the ball joint?
And the rear one away from the ball joint.

Attachments

• Moog7103InstallInstructions.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 1,248
If I remember correctly, the diagram is wrong. Someone else will chime in.

If I remember correctly, the diagram is wrong. Someone else will chime in.

Nope, the idea is to move the upper ball joint rearward and that is what the diagram indicates for position.

The diagram is correct. I just did this and that's the final location mine were in after alignment.

For + caster, hole away from the BJ at front (moves front of control arm outward) and towards the BJ in rear (moves rear of control arm inward).....as SpareParts said.

For + caster, hole away from the BJ at front (moves front of control arm outward) and towards the BJ in rear (moves rear of control arm inward).....as SpareParts said.

SpareParts said...

"Front bushing hole goes away from ball joint, rear goes away from ball joint. This is to get caster, it's how mine were. Just looked at it for ya"

Just sayin.

Yup. You want the upper ball joint to move to the REAR, tilting the spindle axis to the rear

Cool. So I will install with the front bushing hole offset farthest from the balljoint, and the rear bushing hole offset closest to the balljoint. I thought the instructions were different than what needed to be done to get maximum + caster.

I'm afraid I'll make this even more confusing while trying to simplify...
What limits the travel on the alignment rack is conflict of 2 parts, the bolt and the slotted clip that it goes through. Since cutting the slots out longer to allow more travel doesn't work, repositioning the bolt is the solution. Maybe placing the arm in the clips without a bushing and/or try to get a mental picture will help.
You'll find the bolt needs to shift the opposite direction that the arm needs to travel.
Thus the same effect as cutting the slots longer. "Don't raise the bridge, Lower the river" seems to apply here. LOL
Why one bushing offset is opposite the other has to do with how changing caster effects camber and creating enough travel to get the camber angle right again.
Right there is where alignment geometry gets too complicated for me to attempt explaining or simplifying here.

SpareParts said...

"Front bushing hole goes away from ball joint, rear goes away from ball joint. This is to get caster, it's how mine were. Just looked at it for ya"

Just sayin.
Ah yes, I read his first part (correct) and mentally filled in the last part the right way! I need you color code all the important stuff for me in the future OK? LOL ;)

SpareParts said...

Just sayin.

The more I read this thread the more confusing it gets. In the blue statement above it would simply move the entire ball joint away from the car. The intention is to rotate it back isn't it? This clearly shows they go in opposite directions so what is correct?

attachment.php

The more I read this thread the more confusing it gets. In the blue statement above it would simply move the entire ball joint away from the car. The intention is to rotate it back isn't it? This clearly shows they go in opposite directions so what is correct?

That is correct.
The front bushing goes in with the offset hole facing out, and the rear bushing hole facing in.

Having both holes away from the ball joint, or both out would only change the camber.

That is correct.
The front bushing goes in with the offset hole facing out, and the rear bushing hole facing in.

Having both holes away from the ball joint, or both out would only change the camber.

So then this would be the correct statement???

Front bushing hole goes away from ball joint, rear goes toward the ball joint.

The short answer is you carefully read and follow the 'picchure' posted earlier. Think in your mind what it is that you are doing. Moving the upper ball joint BACK. You just pull the front of the arm out towards you, and push the rear of the arm inwards

I agree w/ posts 3 & 18.

I don't know what SpareParts was saying. The rephrase in post 16 is correct. Kind of confusing to state in terms of "relative to the upper ball joint", but when you have the control arm out on the bench, the ball joint can be a reference, along with which side it came off (mark fwd & aft sides to not get confused).

The "wrong instructions" are the sheet that comes in the Moog box. They are wrong for what we are trying to do (increase caster). They were intended to fix a car hit on the side where the upper frame was pushed in.

I installed mine exactly like the picture that came with the bushings went to the alignment shop and the guy could not align the car. I took it back to my mechanic friend, we removed the arms double and triple checked the installation then removed and reinstalled the bushings opposite as shown in the pics. The alignment guy was happy, I was happy and I've been driving the car that way for over a year and it drives GREAT!!! '69 Barracuda, 318, PS, PB, AC, disc brakes.

Treblig

Well that sucks, I just bought and installed a set of these. The instructions included only mentioned installing them with the arrow pointing towards the ball joint.

Well that sucks, I just bought and installed a set of these. The instructions included only mentioned installing them with the store pointing towards the ball joint.

It's a part that you use not for it's original intended purpose if you are trying to gain caster adjustment.

All the pics above show the revised installation instructions.

-
Back