Moog...worth the hassle/$$

-

inkjunkie

Reaction score
Upper ball joints were shot on the Explorer. Wanted Moog...Motion Auto sells their parts....at double what Rock Auto gets for them. Ordered them on a Monday from Rock Auto, had them by Friday. Despite being Moog the box says made in China...

Boots on the upper ball joints of my truck have been ripped for several years now. I pump some fresh grease in them once a month or so. Just checked the ball joints this morning, surprisingly they are still tight. Getting tired of the grease routine so I may just replace the upper control arms. I can get both uppers from my buddy at NAPA (that is what is in my truck now) for what Rock Auto wants for one.

I wouldn't touch Moog with a ten foot pole now. They went global a few years back. Now almost nothing is made in USA anymore. Pro Forged is supposedly a good name brand. Supposedly.

I wouldn't touch Moog with a ten foot pole now. They went global a few years back. Now almost nothing is made in USA anymore. Pro Forged is supposedly a good name brand. Supposedly.
I will probably just get the replacements for my truck from NAPA.

I will never use Moog again. My lower ball joints from them were falling apart in the box.

I had just changed my lower ball joints a few thousand miles earlier with Moog, and they were worn beyond spec within a few thousand miles. Two bad sets in as many tries, inexcusable.

I ended up using these parts and they hold up great.

XRF Chassis | Automotive and Heavy Duty Chassis Parts | Canada and Unites States

Moog 1 (Large).JPG

Last edited:
The outfits that sell Moog for circle track cars (727 and 772) sell USA stuff. Old stock? Dont know…

Might as well buy from @PST. They are FABO sponsors, They give us a 10% discount, their stuff is good quality, and i'll bet they will stand behind it better for us FABO members than NAPA will.

ALL the chain stores suck, mostly. Sometimes, you get a Good Person, that works there. I, Personally, Hate Advance ( was Discount Auto) nothing near now.. and all junk crap.. any how, today, I needed a oilfilter for the 340, and oil and filter for the Jeep.almost 40 bucks... and that was the cheap stuff for the Jeep. Tried to use my Speed Perks for a 5 % Discount. Code on phone didn't work,.Manager Chick called corporate, this was around 6:30 this evening. I ended up w/ 15 bucks off. Now that was a cool deal... sorry ,off topic....

I use Ebay and get old stock Moog and TRW, mostly. Moog lower ball joints are pretty scarce, and when they do show up they're pricey. I've got TRWs for $40 a pair, though, and they show up regularly. Most any Pittman arm will be hard to find, but they show up now and again. Lots of tie rod ends. If you can plan ahead, you can get good old stock parts for good prices.
XRF is good stuff, but they seem to be sticking with late model mostly. They did a run of the '60s parts, but those are drying up already, without more in sight. Those I've found lately are expensive. XRF uses Moog part numbers.

i will not use moog anymore.. had an issue with our dart doe some time and after reading here and around the internet of moog issues i decided to replace the lower (new) ball joints.. sure enough a brand new out of the box bad one.. moog quality has gone down hill big time. i replaced them with xrf loweres but they were hard to find at the time.. i'll use proforged or napa stuff from here on out.

My drag link for my truck from rock auto site.
Screenshot_20211107-083552.png

There are a couple even cheaper above top of screen. As you can see they all have 914 part number, except the Delphi.
Advance wanted $180 for Moog with again see 914 part number.
I went with the $20 one because it's greasable and shipped from same warehouse as most of the rest of the order.
What a scam

Here you go. Parts for an upcoming project, and a couple spares for which I paid very little. All U.S. and Canada made, old stock from the '70s, '80s & '90s. The K781 & K783 lower ball joints took a few weeks to find at a good price. The K7074 small sector shaft pittman arm doesn't come available that often so I paid a little more than I like, but the large shaft K7076 is easy to find.
If you have time and plan your project, this is a good way to go.
IMG_20211107_204907604.jpg

-
Back